If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Scots Guardsman and Night Mail

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by daveannjon, Mar 24, 2012.

1. daveannjon

daveannjon Well-Known Member

I see from rail National Railway Museum that 6115 had a 'starring' role in Night Mail, and from the NRM Flying Scotsman Announcement - About us - National Railway Museum that she 'featured' in the film. I must say I've never been able to ID the several unrebuilt Scots (and Patriots) that appear in the opening sequences of the film, some on ordinary passenger trains rather than postals anyway. At the Crewe stop Patriot 5513 is seen, and you can just about make out 5530 Sir Frank Ree leaving, at the end of the film 6108 Seaforth Highlander is seen on shed being cleaned. Perhaps the Scots can be identified on the big screen, but it's years since I had that pleasure at one of the late John Huntley's shows. Incidentally Railway Herald are a bit scathing about the use of 6115, suggesting a higher profile loco should carry the torch.

Dave

2. guard_jamie

guard_jamie Part of the furniture

Signalman
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I have often seen reference to 6115 'starring' in the film, but like you cannot remember actually seeing it.

3. class8mikado

class8mikado Part of the furniture

Print Estimator/ Repository of Useless Informatio.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Maybe a Higher profile wouldnt fit the loading gauge (ho ho) so they went for the next one on in alphabetical order/ something scots/ who knows

Pity mayflower wouldnt be ready, most of the general public wouldnt see past the paintwork, Tornado in Apple green with a change of or no smoke deflectors would fool, erm convince even more....