If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Scarborough Spa Express 2018

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Oswald T Wistle, Mar 30, 2018.

1. alts1985

alts1985 Well-Known Member

Store Manager for the Co-operative Group
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Video of the comings and goings at Scarborough from last Thursday's tour. Photos to follow later...

RalphW, 60017 and Will RL like this.
  2. Swiss Toni

Swiss Toni Well-Known Member

3. henrywinskill

henrywinskill Well-Known Member

Transgender toilet attendant
    This shot has loads of interest proving once again that the loco doesnt have to be in your face to get a crackin shot

Where's Mazeppa?, Big Al and 26D_M like this.
  4. alts1985

alts1985 Well-Known Member

Store Manager for the Co-operative Group
  5. Swiss Toni

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
    John Merry, green five and 26D_M like this.
  6. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    Don't complain Tony, in the south we have a diesel sat behind the tender!

On a positive note, a few drops of rain are due to fall on Sunday. <BJ>

7. henrywinskill

8. Phil-d259

Phil-d259 Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    The strict enforcement of the ruling as regards placing body parts or equipment out of Windows has more to do with the incident at Wandsworth Common where a person putting their head through a droplight resulted in it hitting a signal gantry at 60 mph with fatal consequences. As such the ORR have made it VERY CLEAR that they require charter train companies (and indeed TOCs who may happen to still operate stock with droplight windows) to do everything in their power to prevent persons placing ANY part of themselves through it.

The only connection with the Wootton Basset incident is that having come very close to being thrown off the national network due to shocking breaches of rules regarding train operation on the national network, WCR will be very aware that they need to be seen to be complying with the ORR rules.

9. kyle123481

kyle123481 New Member

Yesterdays Scarborough Spa Express with 35018
    Please Take A Look

John Merry likes this.
  10. D229

D229 New Member

Travelling from the Midlands for this tomorrow, does anybody know if the use of the diesel is still planned on the rear of the York - Scarborough section ??

11. 5098

5098 Well-Known Member

I imagine it will still be on the rear. Although there was a fair amount of rain between Friday and Sunday in this area, it has been pretty dry again since. I would be happy to be proved wrong, though.

12. Swiss Toni

13. Victor

Victor Nat Pres stalwart Friend

Retired
    BIL should be reasonably well 'bedded in' by the time the season is finished. I would guess that next year will see it travelling far and wide. Good.

14. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

Certainly been a very cautious introduction to traffic, one CME notwithstanding. Not sure what "far and wide" might encompass though.
    Maybe the same strategy will be used next year if 46115 is returned to use after what is reportedly a very major overhaul?

15. henrywinskill

BIL looks so at home either side of the bridge.
    So do the 2 Damsels on the right (look better when enlarged in Flickr:Watching:

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  16. Oswald T Wistle

Oswald T Wistle Well-Known Member Friend

ESI Eng Manager (Retd)
    The Scarborough Spa Express 02 August 2018 – 35018 British India Line hauling 8 + POB + 37669 (on the rear)

GOTCHA! After many bookings, over many months, I finally caught up with BIL. I was becoming paranoid. Was someone keeping us apart? When my name appeared on the list of passengers was someone ensuring BIL would not be the allocated loco? Probably not, but just in case I made a late booking using my mother’s maiden name, Sue de Nimes (she was French – not really – but I digress)

Mrs W and I joined the train at Blackburn (hauled by 33207 and 37669). Over Copy Pit, with stops at Hebden Bridge, Brighouse and Wakefield Kirkgate followed by a spirited run beyond Castleford that saw us regain some lost time and we were just 1L when we stopped in Holgate loop. The diesels were detached; 33207 headed north, 37669 ran round and became “tail gunner” and BIL and support came onto the front – YES!! We were ready in good time but had to wait for the TP Scarborough bound train to clear York (it arrived 11L; are TP ever on time?).

We had to wait a further couple of minutes to cross over from the loop to platform 5 which has access to the Scarborough line. Mrs W and I were in the 4th coach. Then with a whistle from the front we were off (almost 16L). Ok, so not much of a load, a flatish profile and a 37 on the rear but BIL was doing some/most/all of the work evidenced by a light grey haze drifting back past the carriage windows. There are a few speed restrictions on the middle section of the journey but for almost all of the rest we bowled along at around 60 mph. There was plenty of whistling for the many crossings – nice whistle! We arrived in Scarborough over 6E; the 42 miles had taken us 51:01. Plenty of fine ash had swirled in through the wide open toplight and I was covered in the stuff.

In Scarborough it was mainly sunny and felt warm (24C) but very humid; the gentle breeze was very welcome. We went directly to Mother Hubbard’s for lunch. Mrs W had lemon sole and I had cod, tea for two and no bread and butter – healthy or what? Then a stroll down the hill to the seafront where we decided to take an open top bus tour along the front. (They run every 10 minutes or so; a circular tour up as far as Peasholm Park and down as far as the theatre in the south; £4 a person for a day ticket – half price with a bus pass. There are 2 different companies running alternate buses; tickets are only valid for the issuing operator. One of the companies runs some buses that return via the station). Now for an ice cream, a bit of a mooch, buy some curd tarts (wi wur in Yorkshire tha knows!) and then back to the station.

The train was already in platform 1, 37669 (switched off) was on the rear and 35018, having been turned, was on the front. BIL looked splendid in the afternoon sunshine, what a magnificently proportioned loco she is (well done Mr Jarvis and well done Mr Smith and all those at 10A who restored her). We had a sit on the “long form” and had time for a brief chat with our guard, @torgormaig who told me that soon he’s off for a couple of weeks working on the Jacobite.

It was soon time for departure and with the same footplate crew as the outbound run; driver – Chris Cubbitt, fireman – Bob Bullock and a trainee fireman who fired outbound (and maybe return?). We were away a few seconds early; the diesel had been restarted. We were now in the seventh coach and only 2½ in front of the 37. The 37 was very loud after it started up but we didn’t hear much, if anything, from it throughout the return. Running was very much as on the outward leg, but not quite as fast as we had left RT. On the RH curves I had a clear view of BIL and there was an appreciable exhaust. Still a couple of miles out from York we were running 8E before we slowed and were held for just over 3 minutes at Scarborough Bridge Jn, finally easing to a stop in platform 5 (RT). Soon we were off to Holgate loop, as we left the station 33207 could be seen in a siding off to the right. BIL & POB were detached and backed past our RHS for stabling at the NRM. 37669 (pilot) and 33207 were attached to the south end. (One of the stewards suggested that they were this way round to enable 33207 to power the ETH!)

It was still stifling as we left the loop to make our way home; the journey was uneventful. As the sun dropped towards the horizon the temperature in the carriages became tolerable (oh for mk2s with air con – only joking!). Back in Blackburn RT and home before 10pm.

A proper day out at the seaside; by steam train, fish & chips, open top bus ride and an ice cream – lovely! (Mrs W declined my offer to pay for her to have a donkey ride on the sands). There was one guy on the train, who got on at Hebden Bridge and thankfully left at York, who told anyone who’d listen that diesel was ok and steam was ok but he wasn’t going to ride behind steam AND diesel. I much prefer “pure” steam but this summer, “beggars can’t be choosers”. Another passenger told us that this was his tenth “Scarborough” of the summer adding, “What else is there to do on a Thursday?”

Thanks to WCRC for a trip that was professionally operated throughout and at a very good price. The stewards deserve special mention for their efforts on a long, very hot day – helpful and informative as ever. I heard that the train manager, Bob reached a significant birthday milestone earlier in the week and that this was announced to the passengers of the Dalesman – fame at last!

GWR4707, andalfi1, 26D_M and 4 others like this.
  17. iancawthorne

iancawthorne Well-Known Member

Pacitto's or Jaconelli's?

andalfi1, Bean-counter and 4472 like this.
  18. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Mother Hubbards do a pensioners lunch, soup or fruit juice, Fish and Chips, bread and butter and ice cream to finish together with a pot of tea. Bargain at £8.85, most of us senior citizen stewards have this, not that we are from Yorkshire but just we don't have the money to splash out on fancy fish....:rolleyes:

19. steamingyorkshire

steamingyorkshire Well-Known Member

Lecturer
    A couple of shots from yesterday's run with BIL. Firstly on the outward at Kirkham and on the return at Haxby.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

Long as we get to play with her on home turf at some stage, what wouldn't most of us give to see 35028 and 35018 side by side at Victoria awaiting the off bound for either Bornmouth or Exeter