If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Sat 11-Jun THE WELSHMAN

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by 73129, May 5, 2011.

1. twr12

twr12 Well-Known Member

JP
    The type of brake application that happened to Tangmere yesterday is in all probabilty an AWS brake application. Not TPWS. A train can legitimately pass over a caution magnet for signals at caution or speed warnings. If Tangmere got an AWS caution,it would have initited the sounding of a Yodalarm audible (sic) electronic horn, and on Tangmere; a strobe light. IF, Tangmere's driver did not hear the Yodlarm because of the noise of the loco (yes Bulleids do make noise, before anyone starts) while it was flat out, and was leaning out of the side window so did not see the strobe, he would not have cancelled the AWS within the 3 sec delay period.
    What should be learnt from this? I would recommend that ALL mainline steam locos have their silly Yodalarms replaced with air or vacuum (as appropriate for the loco) AWS horns controlled by a 12v EP valve. No addtional wiring is needed, but a little bit of pipework and metalwork is.
    At least an AWS horn makes a racket!
    I think this is the system that Mandy Sharpe fitted to Tornado, Brittania, Braunton. And it is definately what D6515 has got.

2. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The load on this tour was not "twelve and over" and 34067 isn't a class five so I don't think your argument is valid regarding this particular tour. Not only that but NR agree the loads surely but until we know exactly why 34067 came to grief, all speculation is pointless IMHO.

3. Neil_Scott

Neil_Scott Part of the furniture

Railway servant
    The driver should be able to reset the TPWS after an activation.

If the train has activated the TPWS without a resulting SPAD then providing the Driver if fit to carry on and the appropriate form filled in by the Signalman the train can continue unless the TPWS has to be isolated as a result (brings in other rules which I'm not going into).

4. Guest

Guest Part of the furniture Account Suspended

Occasional
    The problem here was that once stalled Tangmere, which is a favourite of mine, could not restart the train.

The secrecy which surrounds incidents such as these in such a public arena is really quite pointless. The best answer to the rumour machine is honesty and openness.

Until the reason for the stop and inability to restart is clearly identified I am happy to stand by what I have written, both on this occasion and on others.

The point about power classification is not something that I am going to get into pointless detail about in this specific topic, it is a general point to make a point - The twelve coach standard railtour is all too obvious on many occasions and coming to a stand has been the result of loads very substantially less than that in recent years as you well know.

We cannot inconvenience the real railway for our fun - so we need to analyse and know what happened yesterday so it can be avoided in the future.

5. guard_jamie

guard_jamie Part of the furniture

Signalman
    Mmm, stop you must!

But seriously - sounds plausible, but until we know, we don't know!

6. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

On 'another' forum this is posted..

"Ian, Saw JB today. Tangmere driver didn't hear AWS yodalarm.
    EP valve operated AWS horns all round!"

Information posted 'elsewhere' is usually pretty accurate.