If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Saphos Trains 2018

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by gwr4090, Dec 19, 2017.

1. The Citadel

The Citadel New Member

Engineer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Probably and hopefully mostly turned off like it was last week.

2. 6026 King John

6026 King John Well-Known Member

Saphos' stated policy is to have the diesel on the back of all trains so you may well be in luck.

3. Peter29

Peter29 New Member

I'm a bit confused. If the 47 was switched off on the return, what was providing power for the air conditioning on the mark 2s? Or is there also a generator car? Otherwise it would have started to get a bit warm inside.....

4. Where's Mazeppa?

Where's Mazeppa? Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    There are powerful reasons why there wouldn't have been any doubts about the 47's contribution, or lack of it on the southbound run, to the 2010 "Pride of Swindon" outing with 5043. The late Mike Notley's contribution to VT's "5043 Return of a Legend" bookazine clearly recounts that "Bob Meanley wanted an honest and impartial observer to travel on the diesel and monitor what was happening.......I found myself in the secondman's seat of the leading cab of the Class 47 at the rear of the train".

The account of the day's proceedings quite clearly states that "As we left Platfotm 3 at Carlisle shortly after 3 o'clock, the diesels power controller was in the "Off" position and stayed until we reached Hellifield". No guesswork. No hearsay. No judgements based on empirical evidence/ acoustics.

For most purists, (and I guess Bob Meanley), this appears to have provided the very minimum acceptable level of witness observation/ oversight/ scrutiny to authenticate what proved to be a wholly exceptional run. And, as Mike Notley wrote "if I hadn't been monitoring the diesel personally, this is a performance I would have had a great trouble in believing".

I'm not seeing or reading any evidence that the monitoring of Saphos outings is, or is about to get, that much more fastidious to elevate the performance commentary/ assessment to the level of authentication demanded on that particular VT run.

(This isn't, incidentally, in any sense a criticism of what Saphos does or aims to achieve. Just a challenge to the risk that claims of performance might be made on the basis of shaky evidence).

malc and Matt37401 like this.
  5. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Without going over all this diesel business again, I think that you judge as you find on this one. At present Saphos relies on DBC crews although over time I suspect that may change and the company will use its own crews drawn from different sources.

My experience of DBC crews is that:
    a) To a person, they do not like running with a diesel and if they have to then it does no work.
    b) DBC's own operating procedires do not permit diesel assistance from the rear except in approved situations - e.g. Grosvenor Bridge.

I do not have anything like that level of confidence when West Coast runs with a diesel. It's far more fluid, unpredictable and charter/driver specific. As for Saphos, presumably they will have their own procedures and I guess one should take what they say in their literature as what happens.

6. 30567

30567 Part of the furniture Friend

A few points.

It was quite a cool day, maybe 18 degrees.

The Mk 2s they use have door windows which were open a lot of the time.

It was pretty warm in a couple of the coaches when the sun came out.

It certainly wasn't switched off all the way back.

No diesel would be preferable in my book but I suspect you then wouldn't have a trip to Cardiff.

Big Al likes this.
  7. The Citadel

The Citadel New Member

Engineer
    As far as I know a 47 can be running and heating and not providing power and in terms of traction it is off. I believe 47's then have an engine 'on' notch on the power handle or first notch if you like. Its just about enough power to move itself along light engine. It can't pull anything but on the rear of a train it would take its own weight and reduce the drag.

8. 1020 Shireman

1020 Shireman Part of the furniture Friend

Relaxingly retired
    So how do they get a train away from rest?

9. 1020 Shireman

1020 Shireman Part of the furniture Friend

Relaxingly retired
    Why we are so sceptical of these claims is that 5043 is accepted to be one of the finest engines on the mainline. A Class 7+ yet on the Northbound run up the Marches on the 11th March 2017 with load 11 it took the castle 11m 56s from Maindee West to Cwmbran; on a dry day on 25th March 2017 with load 10 it took 14m 38s to get from Cwmbran to Abergavenny; then from Abergavenny to Pontrilas 10m 57s with 11, 11m 19s with 10. Diesel doing nothing? I think not.

Add to that, one of the last 13 coach trains to tackle the Marches was Tornado on the 12th May 2012. 60163's times were: Maindee North to Cwmbran 11m 44s; Got checked at Little Mill so split time: Cwmbran to LMJ 8m 6s then LMJ to Abergavenny 12m 34;' AGV to Pontrilas 12m 13s.

On the return, Sutton Bridge Jn to Church Stretton 19m 12s; Hereford to Tram Inn 10m.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  10. james143611

james143611 New Member

Office Services Assistant
    Will be my first trip on Sunday, booked in First Class from Westbury.

Daft question, for those who have done first class, what is it like? Do people turn up in smart/casual or just anything goes? I'm one of those where if I wear a button shirt, black trousers/black jeans and shoes and everyone else is in a t shirt and jeans I'll feel like the odd one out :D

11. LMarsh1987

LMarsh1987 Part of the furniture Friend

TBC
    No, only the Belmond/Northern Belle requires smart dress. I've done first class/dining several times and worn shorts and T shirt.

12. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

But note that Premier Dining does not allow shorts or T-shirts......

13. LMarsh1987

LMarsh1987 Part of the furniture Friend

TBC
    I can't see them turning you away. Not everyone looks at the T&C's ! Unless they've got doorman on, I wouldn't be too worried.

14. Hemerdon

Hemerdon Member Friend

Retired
    Well tell me when you are doing premier dining in shorts and t shirt and I'll make sure I'm not on the same train as you! When I pay a lot of money to take my wife on a premier dining experience I don't expect to be sat beside/opposite someone who looks like they are dressed, ie in shorts, for a cheap night out in a pub. In my experience (maybe limited) ladies like to dress up for the occasion in premier dining and not made to feel uncomfortable by attire worn by those who can't be bothered.

MartinPage402 likes this.
  15. Mike Stone

Mike Stone New Member

A liitle confused by the stock working - on arrival at Bristol tomorrow there is a light engine move to Barton Hill
    http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U10697/2018/06/22/advanced
    before the stock continues to SPM via Bristol West,
    http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U10696/2018/06/22/advanced
    suggesting it will be 34052 and 47s inside and on the rear, but on Sunday it appears that 34052 comes of SPM
    separately
    http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U54971/2018/06/24/advanced
    from the train
    http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U54975/2018/06/24/advanced

16. IamDaniel

IamDaniel Member

I suspect that LE move to Barton Hill will be the 66/67 that'll probably drag the consist from Crewe to Bristol going on previous LSL stock/LE moves. Could be wrong, though.

17. alastair

alastair Well-Known Member

Surely much of it is down to how hot the weather is? Given that it is tonight forecast to be 30c plus by middle of next week, might it not be you "feeling uncomfortable" in your jacket and tie or whatever?

18. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

Do I take it a Mankini is not acceptable wear ? :D

19. Hemerdon

Hemerdon Member Friend

Retired
    I agree that allowing for the weather is important and I would not be wearing a tie. But as someone who lives in shorts most of the year there are times and places where seeing someone's hairy legs is not, IMO, appropriate.

20. IamDaniel

IamDaniel Member

FWIW, I tend to wear a shirt (no tie or jacket) and black trousers regardless of the class I'm travelling it. While I have seen others in shorts and t-shirts, it doesn't feel right to be that casual, but that's just my opinion.

RalphW likes this.