If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Saphos - English Riviera Express 24/06/18

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by IamDaniel, Jun 14, 2018.

1. LMarsh1987

LMarsh1987 Part of the furniture Friend

TBC
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I was told that the reason for the diesel being in the consist is so that everything runs smoothly for the 1st year, which in turn keeps the O.R.R happy. I'm also told they have a generator car, so the diesel is not needed. Hopefully this time next year, there will be nothing on the back, though we might have to wait a bit longer for a full set of MK1's.

2. 1020 Shireman

1020 Shireman Part of the furniture Friend

Relaxingly retired
    Whether or not Saphos becomes a success will depend on their seat prices in 2019, not the discounted one's this year. There are different customers out there who will no doubt like the refurbished carriages and not care that as far as steam is concerned all you can say is there was a steam engine on the front of the train for both the Welsh Marches and English Riviera Expresses. You certainly won't have experienced a steam hauled rail tour on these routes this year.

3. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I'm keeping an eye on what Saphos will offer for 2019, particularly in the south. The July 2018 programme for both SD and RTC has already been decimated by lack of suitable motive power - and that's before anyone has started to utter the words "fire risk" However, RTC hadn't offered much in the south in the first six months of the year anyway and although SD ran a few trains to Salisbury with 45212 up front and no diesel on the back, some of these didn't have a pick-up point south of London.

If Saphos can develop the confidence to run without a diesel and complete a full set of Mark 1s, there will certainly be a market south of London for something in late winter, early spring or perhaps autumn. I know that a few people (including your good self, I believe?) are prepared occasionally to get up at silly o'clock, even in the winter, in order to travel on RTC's Cumbrian Mountain Express and I know that there have been some superb runs of late. For me personally, it's just too much. However, just a simple London-Salisbury, London-Sherborne or London-Canterbury trip which are not too difficult to path and don't need a diesel for operational reasons would be very appealing. Kent seems to have been virtually abandoned by the charter operators in recent years, but I fail to understand why. You can have a sensible length day out, enjoy some good hill climbing, some fast running and, in Canterbury, a superb destination.

4. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Part of the furniture

Yes John I do understand your points. Maybe Saphos will look at basing some stock in London (at Southall I guess) if they perceive a market outside of those at Crewe and Bristol. The trouble with London and the South of course is always paths and gauging issues. I think that is why SD tend up being diesel to & from Willesden SW sidings or Hanwell Loop so often on the tours that originate outside of London. But at least LSL have a Black 5 that may fit most places, even if it is only a 60mph loco. You are correct Kent has become a steam desert even for Belmond who used to use Clan Line around there a lot. I guess it is all now too busy and from recent years bridges & platforms suddenly make a loco out of gauge after track work. I see there is not even an Armistice Day train by any operator this year.
    Saphos running without a diesel with a rake of Mk 1's I do not know, originally they said all trains would have one as they wanted to be a responsible TOC in case of failures, although there seems to be no mention of that on their website that I can find now. (I did notice however they do not accept pay on the day passengers unlike most tour promoters.)
    You do of course have RTC's Oxford Explorer from Three Bridges on September 22 with No 9 which does not too long a day, goes to a scenic destination via an unusual route.

5. IamDaniel

IamDaniel Member

[​IMG]

Quite pleased with this shot that I took of Braunton reversing down onto the stock yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CLN_WVR likes this.
  6. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

There is certainly a large number of mk1s at Crewe waiting overhaul as well as what looks like a purpose built carriage workshop plus competent workforce in the area potentially available for recruitment so promising foundations.

7. cg

cg Well-Known Member

8. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Less friendly perhaps, but it doesn't stop Belmond from serving food in the compartments in their Pullmans.

9. 1020 Shireman

1020 Shireman Part of the furniture Friend

Relaxingly retired
    As we live in South East Wales we're always up at silly o'clock and always have been to support mainline steam. Every CME sees us up at 0430 to leave the house at 0530 for Abergavenny and the 0623 to Crewe. Great bacon rolls and coffee there even at 0600!! On a good day we get back to Abergavenny at 2220 and home by 2300. Short day for us!! Timings rarely come out in time to book advance fares to London for starts there. To do SD on weekdays, the only off peak tickets on the GWR from Newport are on the 0530; or worse the 0445 off Bristol. And the difference is silly money. Saturdays aren't great. There are no earlier trains than the 0530 from either Newport or Bristol. Getting back from London usually means getting back to either station close to or after midnight; then we have a 35 mins or 50 mins drive home. You've got to be bonkers to do this as a hobby. Getting a little bit more of a drag as we rapidly approach 70, but we have no intention of not doing 20 or so trains a year while proper steam trains are running.

The men with the white coats are circling the cottage ....

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  10. pwsw5054

pwsw5054 Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    56 through Teignmouth increasing to 60 at Dawlish, 64 at D Warren and 69.5 at Starcross. Max was 72.5 on the stretch to Exeter at MP 196.5. After this speed slowly dropped off on the run into St David's .

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

11. 6026 King John

6026 King John Well-Known Member

You've got to be bonkers to be on this forum (including me). I mean there's about 2 pages on the Saphos thread about whether its the done thing to wear shorts in dining class! Gave me a laugh during my commute to London this morning anyway!

1020 Shireman likes this.