If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Saphos 2024

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by NathanP, Nov 1, 2023.

1. 2857Harry

2857Harry Member

Conductor/Guard
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    :)

2. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Resident of Nat Pres

No I do not currently volunteer
    Well I am not sure I fully agree with that sentiment, @2857Harry may well be a fan of the LSL group tours (from experience as a user it seems), but his points are well made, especially the recent ones on finances.
    This market has changed by osmosis over the years, changed again by the entrance of LSL in turns of tour volumes and brands and all the "stuff" thrown at the industry by regulators and NR.
    Tours are now longer days, rarely enthusiast focussed, but often on dining or "the experience" and the public generally expect more for the £ these days.
    Regardless of if we on here like it or not we are where we are.

MellishR, alastair, Graft on and 8 others like this.
  3. 2857Harry

2857Harry Member

Conductor/Guard
    Nicely put. That’s definitely my downfall is I can’t put things in to decent words!

4. Walker

Walker New Member

Yes it just becomes a bit fan boy, just like the green signals drool fest the other week. Like I said before. He is 100% entitled to his opinion, love and support of LSL it's his call.
    I'm sorry whoever is telling you that a diesel takes its weight plus two isn't being honest with you.
    As a driver, if you were asked take your weight, plus two, would you know what to do? It's like such a variable. Speed route, gradient. All up for debate. The simple fact is they run with a diesel on every job because they run a 12 car set with any steam engine. They have a staff full of full timers and need the train to pay.
    "On, or 1/4" on a 47 is about taking its weight. Anything other than that is a total variable.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2024
  5. 2857Harry

2857Harry Member

Conductor/Guard
    I mean I will tolerate it when it’s due. And in the past it certainly has been due. But would you really fault a company who’ve given 100% every trip you’d done with them? I mean it becomes difficult to see fault, when you’ve never had it happen I grant you. And if on the ERE in August there’s an issue I’ll be more than happy to put it on here.

In terms of the diesel taking it’s own weight that came from the horses mouth. When they were testing the A2 it’s what one of their guys said. So I thought it was relatively reliable info. I can only apologise if what I have been told is incorrect.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2024
  6. Walker

Walker New Member

I'm not saying it's incorrect, I'm saying it's so variable that it's incredibly difficult to say how much weight you are taking other than just taking the loco weight.
    No apology necessary! As I keep saying you are entitled to like what you like. You having a go about CDL just annoyed me that's all. We all know the situation.

7. 2857Harry

2857Harry Member

Conductor/Guard
    As I say I can only go off what I was told, and tbh whether they were generalising it a bit too much is possible. I think we can all have a good guess going up Hemerdon for example the 47 would likely be required to do more. So I’ve absolutely no doubt it’s variable

We do all know the situation. And as I’ve said elsewhere it’s one that I think WCR are handling to the best of their capabilities using what is available to them at this time. Ie 2 Locos and some MK2 coaches. Quite how they are keeping going on such a small fleet/running so much is a miracle and credit to WCR.

However, my question was more surrounding if they did show the level of care for enthusiasts that Al was saying, surely they’d fit the MK1s out and use their Vac Braked locos. I think everyone here would agree that a Jubilee over the S&C is much missed in 2024.

mike1522 and MellishR like this.
  8. Walker

Walker New Member

I suppose ultimately you and I don't know what's happening with regards to that.

2857Harry likes this.
  9. 2857Harry

2857Harry Member

Conductor/Guard
    No that’s very true and I do concede that we are all limited by knowledge on that score. And I do very much hope the tide is turning up at 10A as it will make a refreshing treat for all. I suppose fingers crossed :)

Walker likes this.
  10. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Retired, best job I've ever had
    10A will never get into a Tornado situation by repeatedly promising what they can’t deliver because they never promise anything and I think that’s very wise. At present they are working in a wing and a prayer and I hope they can get away with it, they are in trouble with the tour programme if either operational engine fails. Tangmere sounds like a bag of nails but seems to be mechanically OK. I assume one of the Jacobites is diesel worked when either of the engines needs a boiler washout. The fact that the three fives have been so reliable is testimony to Riley’s expertise.

green five and MikeParkin65 like this.
  11. 2857Harry

2857Harry Member

Conductor/Guard
    I believe Tangmere may have failed yesterday with 871 being called to haul both trains this weekend.

But yes I agree, wing and a prayer, but they seem to be managing which is testament to both WCR and Riley’s.

12. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Where?

13. 2857Harry

2857Harry Member

Conductor/Guard
    Was informed by somebody that Tangmere wasn’t well, and that 871 was hauling both CME and NWCE this weekend. That does tie in with the Facebook post made by Mr Riley, saying “Riley International Rescue”.

14. twr12

twr12 Well-Known Member

I never travelled on a Concorde, but I do recall film/tv from on board where there was a speed indicator in the passenger cabin, in Mach.

It really wouldn’t be too difficult to display traction power on the diesel on the back of a steam hauled train.
    Measure main generator voltage and current, multiply volts by amps, divide by 746 = horsepower.
    I’m sure a monitoring unit on the diesel loco could transmit to receiving indicators in coaches.
    But then again, perhaps the diesel power should be displayed in large characters on the side of the train, because some of the biggest worriers about diesels pushing steam, aren’t on the train anyway.

2857Harry likes this.
  15. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Failed FTR I'm told, the name RIR goes back many years and was first used at least 15 years ago, maybe more. 44871 on Tuesday's Dalesman as well. :)

blink bonny likes this.
  16. 2857Harry

2857Harry Member

Conductor/Guard
    :):)

17. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Hope it's not a serious problem although given the sound of it on earlier trips I'm surprised it wasn't pulled ages ago.

18. alts1985

alts1985 Well-Known Member

Store Manager for the Co-operative Group
    'Blue Peter' powering along the ECML just north of Stevenage with the London Kings Cross to York Private Charter after her re-launch earlier today...

19. blink bonny

blink bonny Member

Thanks for that heads up Ralph. I hadn't realised there was a Dalesman this week. I might need to get myself across, particularly in light of Shep's announcement of the road closure just north of Ais Gill from next Monday.

20. Swiss Toni

Swiss Toni Well-Known Member

I suppose it was bound to happen eventually. :(