If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Sandringham New Build(s)

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by D6332found, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Richard Roper

Richard Roper Well-Known Member

Librarian
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    One's now minus its boiler - Still can't fathom out why the owners sold it, and hoped to acquire an ex-8F boiler to modify for their loco... Think it was 44901 if I am not mistaken.

Richard.

2. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    More chance of us sinking some new deep coal mines than the Doncaster P2 being completed.

Davo, Sawdust, Richard Roper and 2 others like this.
  3. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

It was indeed, and I agree, I was rather baffled by it too. I think the idea was that the original boiler was in quite bad nick, and an ex-8F one, even after modifying, might be cheaper to do up. But it never materialised.

4. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

I seem to recall a posting on Facebook from the group explaining that the boiler was sold before they acquired the loco.

Keith

5. Richard Roper

Librarian
    As far as I remember, Ian Riley acquired the boiler as a spare, so it mustn't be that bad it can't be sorted... Wouldn't it be nice if he could also acquire the bottom half of 44901, and give the whole machine a new lease of life. That would be a nice outcome for the loco.

Richard.

jnc, ghost and flying scotsman123 like this.
  6. Richard Roper

Librarian
    Interesting, I hadn't heard that one before... I know 44901 was part of the Barry 10, but surely it's too good to let it die now...

Richard.

7. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

Found the quote on the group Facebook page:

Keith

jnc likes this.
  8. Richard Roper

Librarian
    Thank You for posting that Keith.

Richard.

9. Flying Phil

Flying Phil Part of the furniture

Meanwhile - going back to B17 new build (s) ......I am pleased that the "other" group will be now supporting the "Sandringham" team. Having two groups was obviously diluting the fundraising and focus.
    However that does raise the important point, by having the option of name and number plate changes then some rich footballer or lots of, not so rich, supporters may be tempted to contribute to see the locomotive appear - briefly, with "their" team name/number. Equally, when a 10 year overhaul is done, a change to Mini A4 B17/5 identity would stimulate a lot of interest. That possibility may well cost £50,000, but would, over ten years donations, be worth well in excess of that.
    Although the point is well made that there are 6 A4's....how many are running in the UK, now?...in 10 years time? They are iconic and very well recognised by the general public. A B17/5 would be a very welcome addition to the heritage railway hire circuit I would suggest.
    It is not a question of "either/or" but "sometimes as this, that, or the other"...all of which raises money to complete the project and ensure it's future viability.

10. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    Dare I suggest that, had the folks in kick-ball ever felt the need to throw money at a loco (and Covid-19 could only explain the total lack of that happening over last 8 months), there'd have been no need to build a new B17 in the first place.

There's also the issue that, most especially when it comes to something as inherently partisan as footie, naming a loco after 'team A' doesn't just raise hackles among supporters of 'team B', but 'teams C,D,E,F,G ...... etc.etc.'. (IIRC, wasn't there at least one abortive scheme to save an original B17 with attempts to drum up some interest from that direction?). not to mention those among us for whom the sport has either zero interest, or decidedly negative connotations. That's a factor relevant to other naming themes. Every time I see yet another newbuild given some fawning 'royal' moniker, I feel more like chucking up than forking out.

Nick Gough, Hirn, jnc and 1 other person like this.
  11. Hicks19862

Hicks19862 Member

The owner of ‘Mayflower’ seems to have kicked up a bit of fuss after saying he is (temporarily) renaming it ‘Ipswich Town’.

It might not be making any stops in Norfolk with that nameplate on...

12. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Wasn't/isn't there a scheme to recreate the B17 named Shirtshop Manchester United by appealing to all the ManUre fans? Doesn't seem to have achieved much. You're right about how partisan footie is. If someone decided to name the new B17 after Arsenal Woolwich Wanderers, I'd go out of my way to avoid it.

ragl likes this.
  13. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

I guess situating the loco in Woking did at least maximise the chance of being in an area of peak Man Utd support ...

Tom

14. Flying Phil

Flying Phil Part of the furniture

Whilst appreciating the truth of partisan footballing support, I did say "May be tempted to support" and, If that generated a significant amount of extra funding, I see that as a positive. Put the nameplates on, change the numbers, take the photographs, repeat.... With all new builds funding is key to success.

7P6F likes this.
  15. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

I would love to see the streamlined version. It seems to me that most of the population are either sufficiently knowledgeable about steam locos to know the difference from an A4 or sufficiently ignorant (about steam locos, no reflection on their knowledge of anything else) not to care. If some of them think it's Mallard when they see it, how much does that matter? It's only happenstance that a particularly striking and recognisable form of streamlining was applied to very few locos apart from the A4s and that none of them survived in that form for very long. Given Gresley's tendency to design classes for specific roles, some of them in small numbers, the LNER could have had several classes looking like that, including some of the D49s. Was it not even envisaged in some of the early ideas for Thompson's Pacifics?

240P15 and 2392 like this.
  16. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    UK maybe but I suspect Thailand would give many more ManUre supporters but there would be a gauge problem for the loco so possibly a non starter. :)

Richard Roper and Bluenosejohn like this.
  17. Dunfanaghy Road

Dunfanaghy Road Well-Known Member

Retired
    You are so right.
    A few years back there was a station railman at Woking, aka Useless Eustace, who always wore a Man U shirt under his uniform shirt.
    Pat

18. class8mikado

class8mikado Part of the furniture

Print Estimator/ Repository of Useless Informatio.
    Me too There is of course the Paint froth dimension... non of the surviving streamliners has been or looks likely to be turned out in Apple Green, where as a Streamlined B17 would be likely to be, after running in in wartime black undercoat for a bit...

240P15 likes this.
  19. daveannjon

daveannjon Well-Known Member

It's not just footie and royalty, I have no interest in militarism and it took me a long time before I joined the Patriot project because of that, although I appreciate that the Unknown Soldier or Warrior means a lot to some.

Dave

20. Richard Roper

Librarian
    I must admit I am not a Military Enthusiast myself, not that I do not respect out extensive Military History. The LMS were very much more militaristically-influenced in their locomotive naming policies though, Particularly where the Jubilees, Royal Scots and Patriots were concerned. I do like the different seaside towns commemorated by the Patriots though, and to a lesser extent the countries and provinces commemorated by some of the Jubilees, although these tie in with the militaristic theme. They make a welcome change from the many Regimental names. The Southern also weighed in with many Battle of Britain Squadron names which do not mean a lot to me, probably as I have not lived through a war.
    I am surprised that the LMS didn't name a locomotive after the Unknown Warrior though, so I am happy for 5551 to be so named.

Richard.

andrewshimmin likes this.