If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

s160 2253 in NYMR clear out

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by patrickalanbooth, Jul 10, 2013.

1. TonyMay

TonyMay Member

If she doesn't sell, and if the desire to get rid of her is due to the fact that she is taking up space and has little chance of being overhauled in the foreseeable future, then why not loan her out? She'd be an excellent advert for the NYMR if displayed at Eden Camp, for instance.

That would require cosmetic restoration, and possibly a shed for it - how much would that cost?

2. B17 61606

B17 61606 Member

Cosmetic restoration can be surprisingly cheap - wire brushes and paint is more or less all that is needed - even chopping out and replacing wasted platework is not that expensive. It just takes time, so if the work is done by volunteers it is quite an economic proposition.

However the issue with this loco seems to be the level of interest (or lack of it, presumably due to its 'foreign' origins) - so would anyone come forward anyway? Makes sense to me to try move it on for use elsewhere if there's no genuine interest in doing anything with it - how many times have we heard complaints that railways are hoarding stuff that is unlikely to be worked on for many years, if ever?

On a related note to the S160, is the WD 2-10-0 "Dame Vera Lynn"(?) at NYMR also for sale, or did I imagine that? If so, out of interest, what was the asking price for that one?

3. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    There are those who express an interest in the S160 on the NYMR, and certainly if a sale at the right price isn't possible, the MPD team have indicated they would work out and cost a plan for overhaul. The problem with display elsewhere is that it is not likely to be under cover and hence any cosmetic restoration would soon be undone but that doesn't mean the idea isn't worth looking at in some form.

You did imagine that 3672 Dame Vera Lynn is for sale! IT IS NOT! It was gifted to the NYMR on condition it couldn't be sold. There would be a large lynch mob if any such suggestion was made! Nevertheless, the loco needs a lot of mechanical and, by now most probably, boiler work, and hence "quicker wins" are head of it in the restoration queue, but that is getting ever shorter and I know there are a number of people interested in trying to get something going to act as "Friends of 3672". It is very early days for this idea and nothing has been near Trust Board yet but there is plenty of enthusiasm for the loco, which tends to be a favourite of those who came to the Railway in the 1990s, just as 80135 is for the previous decade. Anyone who ever saw one of the half dozen or more occasions when 3762 took 10 unassisted up Grosmont bank will always remember the site and sound for the rest of their lives!

Steven

4. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

Sorry the best thing to do with this is scrap it if no-one wants it either to restore, stand around looking "interesting(?)" or for the spares. The money from the appointment with the gas axe would come in very useful for other things and the local "linear scrap yard" would reduce, doubtless to the relief of local residents. As this thread goes on to say there are a number of other examples around. Just one of the tough decisions heritage railways will have to make.

P.H.

5. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Part of the rationale for offering 2253 for sale was to offest the purchase price of 76079, but I thin it is now clear that any contribution its sale makes is likely to minimal. In my view, the best alternative would be to spend some money on some overall covers (which should be done from the outset for any engine stored in the open awaiting overhaul - the cost of them compared to the deterioration saved is negligible) and wait till there's a gap in the overhaul queue.

If the NYMR had a facility like the SVR Engine House we wouldn't be having this conversation.

There is going to come a time when arsenical copper plate for copper firebox repairs is impossible to get - it's already difficult to source. The NYMR's experience with fitting a steel firebox in a boiler that originally had a copper 'box was not a happy one, but 3672 ran 100,000 miles with the steel firebox it was designed with. If the firebox on 2253 is properly rebuilt there's no reason why it shouldn't do the same. That, and the cheaper cost of steel firebox repairs, will make it a more attractive proposition eventually.

Bramblewick likes this.
  6. Bramblewick

Bramblewick Member

Wasn't there some kind of stipulation that, in the event that the NYMR no longer wanted 926 and 3672, they must be donated to another "railroad charity"?

7. Bramblewick

Bramblewick Member

If you look at the NYMR's disposal list, then everything on it bar the engines is stored at New Bridge P Way depot or on the 'Long Siding' between New Bridge and High Mill. Essentially, once the carriages and wagons on that list are gone the NYMR won't have a 'linear scrap yard' any longer.

paulhitch and 47406 like this.
  8. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

There will be some coaches left in the long siding, including out of traffic Mk !s awaiting overhaul and some of the LNERCA's unrestored vehicles. As the LNERCA's teak train currently stands at seven coaches, is set to expand by two more shortly, and work is due to begin on two of the stored vehicles in the Autumn one hopes that Paulhitch and others of his ilk will understand if we don't scrap the ones whose turn has not come yet - it will! In an ideal world they'd all be tucked away out of site and in safety in a large, secure shed, but the NYMR does not possess either such a building or anywhere to put one at the moment, so we have to do the best we can.

Bramblewick likes this.
  9. Bramblewick

Bramblewick Member

ETA: question already answered.

10. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

But the issue is this engine is not an exBR loco, therefore it doesn't command ExBR premiums.
    Similar it has little in precious metal, and several others in pieces around the country.
    It has some local NYMR history that's less historical away from the moors, therefore interest goes to lines wanting a big cheap engine that can't afford BR steam, or someone who just happens to want one.
    Granted inflation increases the value, and no one begrudges that, but asking a premium and failing to get it suggests there's a problem

Yes it's a 2-8-0 and yes it's in gauge, therefore its worth more than average, but its somewhere closer to those 5' Finnish gauge locos than an out of ticket black 5.

11. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

Perhaps an offer of a loan to the NRM in cosmetically restored condition solves the problem for the time being, if in fact the NRM have room for it anywhere! Would fill an historical gap, and would be an impressive exhibit.

If the NYMR really need another 2-8-0 in their service fleet, then coming to some agreement with the owner of ex-Great Western 2-8-0 No. 3814 to complete its restoration might be the answer. 3814 is not listed on the NYMR website, so is it still there, or has it moved on? Appears to be very much "off the radar".

12. Bean-counter

And the sort of price being looked for is considerably short of what an out of ticket ex-BR loco would and has fetched - but I would suggest that an "in gauge" loco of the right gauge might fetch a bit more than one that can't actually be used on a UK line, and "a 2-8-0" somewhat more than a smaller loco. How good an idea do you have of the values at which steam locomotives have actually changed hands in recent years?

The current priority is to get the fleet back up to strength - 76079 and 34101 are being worked on, 45428 and 75029 are in traffic and No.29 undergoing post overhaul "fine tuning", 80135 is dismantled for overhaul and 30926 will follow next, quite soon thanks to our bank agreeing to underwrite the overhauls (i.e. provide loan funding to the extent to cover the excess of the cost over funds raised towards it). Contributions to the "Wheels Across the Moors" Appeal are gratefully received.

Steven

13. The Black Hat

The Black Hat Member

Defender of the Faith
    This really is a simple solution. Despite everyone mentioning how good it is... no one wants it. The thing is an ugly duckling to some, but no one is stepping forward to own it and its taking up space. It doesnt work, no one wants it so the obvious should happen. Weigh it in (it should have been done sooner when metal prices where higher) and put the funds towards something the railway needs. Like funds for operation, restoring engines like 80135 and 76079, or better still, Lambton Tank No. 5. Want to be radical? Melt the thing and built a J39... you know, a proper engine...

paulhitch likes this.
  14. patrickalanbooth

patrickalanbooth New Member

student, trainee fireman
    I'm not going to try and change some of your minds on this engine as on looks its is a marmite engine really, but there is one fact i do know, i love s160's there my favorite class of locomotive and i would like one and especially and ex UK one but i have one problem i don't have the money so any sugestion on what i should do as i have said before i would like not to see this loco chopped up and made into anything, even a J39.
    thanks
    Patrick

lynbarn and The Black Hat like this.
  15. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Turkish 8f's ??? :)

As I said.. if it sells at a premium then I am wrong.. but I recall it being on sale way back in the early 2000's and it still is now.

Maybe we should agree to disagree and see what happens.

16. Bean-counter

Which are a very different case (given that are not actually in the UK, have to be got here and have never worked in the UK so will need modifying to meet current UK requirements) than various locomotives that have worked in the UK since preservation and have changed hands (more than one Manor, a couple of locos with only a year or so before their next 10 year exams etc.) Out of ticket locos have certainly changed hands at over twice the sort of price being looked for for the S160 and, as I say, as Charity Trustees, the NYMR Board would have to be able to show why the S160 was different if they accepted a vast amount less than other sales.

What is interesting about the 8Fs is that one of those also failed to find a UK buyer and was sold abroad. There has been overseas interest in the S160, although it looks at present unlikely to come to anything. However, the fact that a sale hasn't been completed doesn't mean there hasn't been any interest nor that the asking price has seen any interest fade. The loco has been available for sale for some years, but has not been actively marketed for much of that period.

Steven

17. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

Although the 8F didn't seem to be advertised anywhere and we don't know the asking price, so it's not hard to see why no buyers came forward. Maybe the plan all along was to resell it to Israel - we just don't know.

Keith

18. D7076

D7076 Well-Known Member

Makes so much sense to sell for scrap a loco that can cope with anything NYMR can through at at,and put the proceeds towards something like 5 that cannot pull the skin off a rice pudding towards Goathland Summit.Down to the bare minimum now and how useful was 29 until it failed?

YorkyLad and 47406 like this.
  19. B17 61606

B17 61606 Member

Thanks for clearing that up, not sure where I got that idea from then!

20. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Being brutally honest, would it be fair to say S160's are generally only considered when something suitable of a British outline is unavailable ?, nice soundtrack though with the exhaust and chime.