If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

S&C Pathfinder Charter - Aug 2018: Now 16/3/19 and with 60163

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Big Al, Jul 24, 2018.

1. 46203

46203 Member

I read the OP's post to mean that the runs on 11/8 still stand and that the postponement concerns the Pathfinder run the following week (16/8).

26D_M likes this.
  2. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

According to the Pathfinder website that is correct.

3. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

That is how it reads although I think Alan's interpretation would be the wiser one.

4. 1020 Shireman

1020 Shireman Part of the furniture Friend

Relaxingly retired
    Bit baffled by your comment Al. If 11th was untenable it would have been postponed or cancelled - or have you heard that NR are going to risk the ban being lifted for the 11th as the 50th anniversary of the end of steam is a special one?

5. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Sorry everyone. I know nothing. Was just assuming that with things as they are tour operators would be taking each week as it comes and Golden Ex 1 comes before 2.

6. 1020 Shireman

Relaxingly retired
    I tried ringing Pathfinder to no avail and my emails requesting the status of the 11th haven't been answered. Surely it isn't going to run unless it can be 'proper steam'?' Will try again this morning.

7. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

That is pretty shabby customer service, even allowing for the unfortunate extenuating circumstances.

8. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    The hose pipe ban scheduled to begin on the 5th here in the North-West has been cancelled by United Utilities.

9. Oswald T Wistle

Oswald T Wistle Well-Known Member Friend

ESI Eng Manager (Retd)
    I rang Pathfinder this morning - the lady was helpful. They are awaiting final timings from NR for 11/08 when received they can confirm 60009, any diesel assistance will be subject to the requirements of NR at the time. The 15/08 trip had to be postponed as 60009 was unavailable. My intention was to transfer from 11/08 to 03/10 but as this could be my last chance to travel behind UoSA I stayed with my booking and booked the 03/10 as well - surely it will rain by then and 60163 will be run in - surely?

10. 1020 Shireman

Relaxingly retired
    RTC's e-ticket letter says the CME has diesel assistance. Can't see the GEI running without a diesel as it will be load 13 behind No.9 so they aren't likely to get any kind of dispensation or exemption.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  11. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Resident of Nat Pres

With No 9 due to work the DCE on Thursday 9th as far as I know, that could be a some very busy days for the support crew.

12. Oswald T Wistle

Oswald T Wistle Well-Known Member Friend

ESI Eng Manager (Retd)
    I can't see that any exemption is remotely possible, but maybe if we get some rain everything could run without diesel assistance - it's raining now.

13. 1020 Shireman

Relaxingly retired
    Think today's going to be it for rain for the next week or so. Not going to be enough to salvage the 11th. What's bizarre is them canning the 15th when there was longer for there to be some significant rainfall. No soul the companies anymore. I'm abandoning August. Going to to cancel the remaining trips I've got booked and take any financial hits imposed. It's not even looking good for early September!!! Think I might risk it and book the 1st December's Christmas Plymouth Market .....

14. 1020 Shireman

Relaxingly retired
    Been told that Pathfinder do not have timings as Network Rail are still monitoring the situation and it could still be steam; show pony steam or even diesel only. Anyone out there really in the know????

15. class8mikado

class8mikado Part of the furniture

Print Estimator/ Repository of Useless Informatio.
    Introducing a ban, whilst not done lightly, is easy enough to do.
    One suspects that the loco could have been upto its ashpan in flood water but the ban wont be lifted until its put upon to send the right persons out to re assess conditions...

16. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Oh the joys of risk assessment. I used to have a job that involved making a judgement about lightning risk. When you called it high enough no operative could go up electricity pylons. A tricky one given that you knew that lightning strikes can be random. But that was the problem. And it's the same with lineside fires.

26D_M likes this.
  17. alastair

alastair Well-Known Member

Surely that situation is exactly what the "fire risk protocol" (which I assume DBC as well as WCRC is signed up to)should be preventing? Fire risk is supposed to be re-assessed by NR on a daily basis?

flying scotsman123 likes this.
  18. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Not totally canned but postponed because the substitute loco that seems to be available for 11th (subject to any last-minute problems) is not available for 15th. And with the option of a full refund for anyone who can't make the new date. There is every expectation that the originally rostered Tornado will be available by October. The only customers who will lose will be any who have booked non-cancellable travel or accommodation in association with the trip.

19. 1020 Shireman

Relaxingly retired
    Meant canning in as much as a money back offer is available if passengers can't make the revised date. The 11th will run regardless and all a customer cancellation will get anyone now is a max of 50% of the money paid in the form of a credit note. Bit useless for steam only customers as Pathfinder do so few of them.

Customer Cancellation or Alteration to a Booking
    1. Any change made after a booking has been made and confirmed may attract an alteration fee of £10.
    2. We ask that any cancellations are made in writing by email or post to avoid any misunderstanding.
    3. All refunds will be made by credit note, which can be used in payment for future excursions. Cancellation charges may apply if payments are transferred to another excursion at your request.
    4. Travel and cancellation insurance is highly recommended for full protection and peace of mind.
    5. Refund requests will be considered in accordance with the following scale for day excursions, expressed as a percentage of the total value of the booking: over 28 days before the date of running - 90%, between 14 and 28 days before the date of running - 75%, between 5 and 13 days before the date of running - 50%, within 5 days of the date of running - nil.

20. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Does this mean in addition to my refund I can charge pathfinder £10? :)

I suppose reflecting on it I'm quite glad I was booked on the second one, at least I can get my money back now, but to think, that was purely due to loco availability and nothing to do with the fact that it almost certainly wouldn't have run with steam regardless. Whatever I decide to do instead, it won't be with Pathfinder.

SteamHawk216 likes this.