If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

S&C Pathfinder Charter - Aug 2018: Now 16/3/19 and with 60163

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Big Al, Jul 24, 2018.

1. Cambrian55

Cambrian55 Member Friend

Engineer.
    Never one to let a few facts get in the way of your opinion eh.

2. Sean Emmett

Sean Emmett Member

I can see what Shireman is getting at, but load 11 incl generator on the Auld Reekie was hardly featherweight.

Fair comment re Aberdonian, as Tornado on 10 was assisted by the diesel on the back.

3. torgormaig

torgormaig Part of the furniture Friend

Diesel assistance on the Aberdonian was not as great as some make out here. For example the return was unassisted as far as Dundee despite some difficult restrictions and signal checks. Assistance was only requested after Dundee to ensure that our path over the single line Hilton Junction - Ladybank section was not lost. But be assured Tornado was given a good workout on the Aberdonian.

Peter

Haighie and RalphW like this.
  4. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Let's be hopeful about all this.

It's pretty obvious that it is intended that trips to and from Aberdeen from the central belt of Scotland will become a regular feature of the future steam charter scene. It'll also be good for tourism. You can understand that a TOC might wish to play it safe for the first trip to test out options especially in how to manage the train at Aberdeen and the reversal. On the whole, diesels generally do not accompany trains on other regular steam routes like the S&C and especially Shap that is hardly a backwater route. So why should anything different apply in the case of Aberdeen?

Let's see how DBC handles the route, assuming it is part of the mix with WC. Provided that charters use powerful enough locomotives the line shouldn't present a major problem, surely, if Aberdeen can be sorted out?

26D_M likes this.
  5. Cambrian55

Cambrian55 Member Friend

Engineer.
    I think you should have said, 'diesel assistance is very rarely as great as some make out'. :)

torgormaig likes this.
  6. 1020 Shireman

1020 Shireman Part of the furniture Friend

Relaxingly retired
    Interesting responses one and all. I didn't intend to engender such a debate on this thread. We're all entitled to our opinions and I stick to mine. Still consider it to have been 60163's first real test and it passed with flying colours. As you all know, I don't class diesel assisted trains as Steam Hauled Trains. That's me. A purist view that won't ever change. Hope to do an Aberdonian later in the year but not if it runs as on the 14th March. Looking forward to some good climbing and fast mainlining on the Raider on 13th April, though again I doubt we'll get a free run at Shap southbound. Too many service trains around. Still, there's always the memory of Blue Peter's Southbound run on the Shap Attack on 29th November 1997....