If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

S&C Cathedrals Express 16th May

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by EltonRoad, May 11, 2015.

1. EltonRoad

EltonRoad New Member

Postponed, according to Steam Dreams web site:

http://www.steamdreams.com/executables/GT410WebContent.exe?ActionCode=Timings

'It is with huge regret that we advise you that we have been told we have to postpone this trip to the Settle & Carlisle. All passengers booked on this trip have been advised by both email and letter sent by first class post today (11.5.15).

'You may be aware that our Train Operating Company, West Coast Railways, had been temporarily suspended from running trains by Network Rail and this suspension had been lifted at the end of last week. Whilst Network Rail’s review of West Coast Railways’ Safety Management Systems has gone well, with the suspension lifted 8 days earlier than the original deadline, Network Rail has insisted on a “phasing in” of the new systems and initially are only allowing operations on less significant routes – not routes like the West Coast Mainline out of London Euston.

'We will write to passengers as soon as we are notified of a revised date from West Coast Railways which they have promised as soon as possible.

'We cannot emphasise enough our disappointment and do apologise once again for this postponement which is entirely outside of our control.'

2. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    It looks as though WCRC has had a martingale fitted. When you stand back from all this, you sadly have to agree that the authorities are being very sensible about letting them loose again.

rule55, KentYeti and spicer21 like this.
  3. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Yes I am an active volunteer
    @LMarsh1987

4. LMarsh1987

LMarsh1987 Part of the furniture Friend

TBC
    I'm more concerned about the tours in, June, but looks like you're right. Though, I'm hoping you're well off the mark about, VT, returning in time for the, Shakespeare, as that would be disastrous. Thanks for tagging me. Regards, Liam

5. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

The "authorities" have no choice. They not only have to act with Railway safety the critical issue in this, they have to be seen to be acting with that as the priority. IMHO and purely on the basis of what has been posted here, I feel they could well be doing that. Who knows when every step that has been taken in this matter will open to very public scrutiny? I hope never, of course.

6. mrKnowwun

mrKnowwun Part of the furniture

Retired
    I'm not sure "the authorities" have actually specified how WCRC can resume, or put any restrictions on services, there is certainly no schedule or increasing target of when what or how many they can run. It seems to me to be a (very sensible ) self imposed staggered reintroduction.

7. Scrat

Scrat New Member

railway worker
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    It does seem as though it is indeed WCR taking control of what and where they will run and by doing so vastly reducing the risks and also penalties that can be incurred running on some of the more strategic routes, particularly in the south of England.
    Very sensible really.