If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

RTT and things you may not know or realise

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by RalphW, Apr 13, 2014.

1. RalphW

RalphW Part of the furniture Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer

Rail cam diagram Manchester Piccadilly and Victoria.

Rail cam diagram.gif

Rail Cam Crewe Heritage Centre, including Tornado. Chester line on the left WCML on the right. There are three other cameras there showing Chester line, WCML approaches to Crewe from the north and the avoider line northbound. All have sound as well.

Rail cam CHC.gif

There are many cameras aroun the country, including a couple at Ribblehead, excellent for checking the weather and visibility..

I hope Railcam don't mind me giving them a plug......

2. staffordian

staffordian Well-Known Member

Retired
    I've a quick question about RTT which someone cleverer than me might have the answer to.

Some schedules have mileages in miles and chains and some don't. I've never been able to work out why this is, and more particularly if there is some way of bringing up schedules with mileages.

Is it just that some routes have distance info and some don't, or is there something else which determines this?

3. Romsey

Romsey Member

Retired SPM
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    If a train has been "called" or activated on TOPS/TRUST, the mileage is displayed. ( In miles and chains as no one has metricated the linear distances on NR.) If it's a schedule planned to run in the future the timings and routing are shown, but not the mileage to be operated.

Cheers, Neil

PS "Called"?
    We're going back into the roots of TOPS for this. TOPS as I expect you are aware was purchased from Union Pacific in 1969/1970 and many American railroad terms were imported. Train crews were (and in some areas of the US and Canada still are) "called" for duty with two hours notice when it is decided to run a train. ( No timetables, just planned departures and traffic flows.)
    On TOPS trains are either "auto called" which means the schedule is automatically switched on for accepting train movement reporting by signalling systems or TOPS for train consist information. "Manual Call" is only used for "Q" services which run as required. ( Manual train call can be overridden when confirmed operating or cancellation dates are known and input through the train planning computer systems.)

I guess Athelney is the only other person on here who understands this from memory. Any other TOPS clerks from the 1970's and 1980's lurking on here?

staffordian likes this.
  4. 35B

35B Part of the furniture

Thanks for the info. But I'm not sure that can be the whole story - I've made some journeys that show mileages, and others on the same route that don't.

5. 30567

30567 Well-Known Member Friend

Agree. For example have a look at Oxenholme right now. The Windermere branch trains have the mileages. The WCML trains tend not to. They are all 'called'. Why's that?

6. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Member

Yes I have RTT screen dumps of Q path trains eg DCE that have mileages and one off tours that do not eg Ealing Broadway-York that do not. All very confusing.

7. Romsey

Romsey Member

Retired SPM
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Interesting, the plot thickens.....
    At an initial look franchised TOC's - SWR, GWR, XC, TPE and Southern quoted mileages, but Virgin didn't.
    LNER some trains show mileages, some don't.
    DB C quote mileages for WTT freight services, but Freightliner and DRS didn't.

At a guess it's down to the TOC /FOC specifing whether they need the mileage data.

Cheers, Neil

Graft on and staffordian like this.
  8. RalphW

RalphW Part of the furniture Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    There have been occasions when people have remarked that RTT shows that a train has departed several minutes early from a pick up station. It has happened twice today on the SSE, at Hebden Bridge and Brighouse. Both stations have a signal at the end of fairly short platforms so with 10 coaches on, both locos, 2x47s run past the signal to get the stock on the platform, so the signal goes to red and the system assumes the train has left the station, and RTT reports this. In both cases we waited for due time before departing.

MellishR likes this.
  9. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Member

So to add to the confusion of the three legs of the End of Southern Steam on Tuesday, two show mileages and one does not. OK three reporting numbers but in effect the same train run by the same TOC

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U55303/2019/07/09/advanced
    http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U55305/2019/07/09/advanced
    http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U55304/2019/07/09/advanced