If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

RTCs The Waverley 2016

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by ian14, Jul 11, 2016.

1. ian14

ian14 Member

Freelance Journalist
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Unless I've missed this being posted elsewhere, I can't have been the only one out to see this yesterday? Three pics of the westbound leg along the Tyne Valley line taken at Tynedale Park, Corbridge. Then one from the evening eastbound return at Corbridge station. In contrast to eight days ago, as far as I could see there were just two other people on the station. Have to say the speed of Flying Scotsman on the return visit caught both me and my shutter speed out! Right arrow / left swipe from the first image takes you to the other three. And as you can see from the second photo, someone had reserved a seat for the return leg:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ianwylie/27936203050/in/album-72157669881017872/

2. 30567

30567 Part of the furniture Friend

Looks like FS fever is over oop North, good.

Looking at RTT, dropping 12 mins over the hill from Haltwistle not good, but 41 mins Darlington-York very good.

3. ian14

ian14 Member

Freelance Journalist
    There may well have been more around for the westbound run in the afternoon - although there were just three of us watching that at Tynedale Park. The July 2 eastbound only trip had been flagged in the local paper as leaving Carlisle at 4pm, so that may have accounted for some of the numbers out in force, at least in that locality.

4. guycarr360

guycarr360 Part of the furniture

Don't know if the fever is over, however, I think RTC have chanced a really good itinery for the day, in what has happened over S&C.

Much more of a chance of doing this trip, than a one over S&C, which also probably means a pusher.

Lots of 75mph running, on a Sunday, start times good, what is their not to like.

5. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    Mods: To save individual threads for each trip this summer, it might be prudent to rename this thread- RTC's 'The Waverley', summer 2016?

Doing the trip next Sunday, and I know one or two NP-ers are also on it. Despite initial reservations about doing a trip I've done before when there are others requiring my attention, I feel quite lucky, really, as there were only ten seats left when I booked. I'm looking forward to the stretch south of Durham, anyway.

6. Tyne Turbine

Tyne Turbine New Member

I have never bothered posting pictures on this forum in the past as the work of others has always been of such a high standard but in view of the comments about limited interest in this tour I am risking a lowering of standards by offering a couple of my many images from Sunday. These show 60103 near Blaydon and then disposing of her stock at Carlisle. I found that there were still many spectators during the earlier part of the day but suspect that the football may have been a counter attraction for many in the evening.

Attached Files:

MikeParkin65, bgrey62253 and RalphW like this.
  7. sunstream

sunstream Member Friend

The Waverley, Sunday 10 July 2016.
    I joined at York and was surprised to find that the loco change (from double-headed 37s I was told) to 60103 was taking place in platform 10 and not in Holgate sidings.
    Leaving York the load was 11 and, to my surprise, there was no diesel on the rear.
    Departure was at 1145 and we were crossed to the slow line, as booked, at Skelton Bridge Jn and continued at around 60 mph.
    At Thirsk we were crossed to the fast line, as booked, and soon accelerated to 75.
    We passed Darlington station, where the platforms seemed strangely deserted, at 73 on the down main. Speeds around 70 were then enough for us to pass Durham about 1 minute early and go inside for our pathing stop for three services to overtake.
    We were on time away from there and at the water stop, alongside Low Fell RMT.
    The police attending there were said to be taking photos for onlookers who handed them their cameras.
    A right time departure from there was followed by easings through almost every station platform e.g. Wylam 15 mph, Prudhoe 30, Stocksfield a surprisingly high 46, Riding Mill 20, Corbridge 30.
    We were only 5 late through Hexham but were slowing and came to a stand west of the station at Hexham's down starter where we stood for about 4 minutes, reason unknown.
    The easings through stations continued: Haydon Bridge 25, Bardon Mill about the same, Haltwhistle about 30.
    After there we ran in the mid-50s with 53 through Brampton station, 56 through How Mill so were 15 late at Corby Gates and about the same on arrival in Carlisle's platform 3.

The return departed from platform 1 on time and the build-up of speed was slow.
    Showery rain meant the climb to Brampton Fell was measured and in the mid-20s.
    Through the damp Cowran cutting we were doing 27 mph then passed Brampton Fell SB at 39, about 4 minutes late.
    Easings for stations were fewer on the eastbound journey. We passed through Haltwhistle at 63, Haydon Bridge at 35 and Hexham at 64. We slowed through Wylam again but were only 1 minute down arriving at Low Fell for water.
    Departure from there was 1 minute early and we waited briefly at Birtley Jn for our path.
    Progress was sedate and we braked to pass through Durham station at only 15 mph and by then 6 minutes late. The climb to Relly Mill was steady but by the dip at Croxdale viaduct we were up to 64. There still seemed no hurry and we came to a stand on the up main at Darlington station for our pathing stop about 5 minutes late. The following Edinburgh - Kings Cross was running about 8 minutes late so was perhaps why we weren't in a hurry.
    Following that service we were 7 late away and were soon up to 75.
    The speed then stayed at a most satisfying 75 - 77 mph as we got our fast line path all the way to York. We had a slow run in from Skelton Jn to platform 10 at York but still arrived 3 minutes early.

Standard class at the rear on the outward, at the front on the return.

The crews' names were announced on the train but I only got some of them so if anyone has further info please post it.
    York to Low Fell: driver Frank Cooper; fireman ???
    Low Fell to Carlisle: ????
    Carlisle to York: driver Steve Chipperfield, fireman Fraser Burrell (not sure of spelling).

Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
    46203, 782sirbrian and 30567 like this.
  8. Britfoamer

Britfoamer Well-Known Member

Chemist (semi-retired)
    Just had the email from RTC offering more seats as the have added an extra coach to all remaining runs, presume this takes it up to 12? I thought 11 was the new golden maximum rule? Have they ditched the service coach?

9. guycarr360

Or added a pusher???

10. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    That's the risk. I hope the extra carriage gets left behind for lack of bookings this weekend. Annoying when considering it managed Brampton on its own with a sensible load last weekend, and it is an eminently avoidable situation.

11. Enterprise

Enterprise Part of the furniture

I rang the RTC and I was told that "as far as we are aware there will be no diesel but it is up to WCRC." I am going to see what happens this Sunday before I make a booking. I think 12 on will mean a diesel.

12. guycarr360

Yes will stand somewhere on the Tyne Valley with interest, before deciding if it is worthwhile.

If it is pushed, its profit before enthusiast again, with all of the ramifications that ensue....

13. Dobbs0054

Dobbs0054 Member

Overloading to grab money and sacrificing authenticity is sad. A loco should have an authorised load and that's it. Selling a steam tour knowing it will be pushed around all day is bad business. Or shouldn't the diesel be tucked in up front according to NR's new rules? Drop a coach and leave the diesel behind - or like DBC do, have it shadowing just in case.

14. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Yes but it's profit that keeps the business alive and allows Mr Smith to continue with his programme of restorations. Like 35018.

How do you know that the 'authorised rules' have not been relaxed for Scotsman in the light of her recent performances on this route?

15. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    This one's irked me a bit because last weekend had no assistance whatsoever. I'm fine with DLs supporting potentially challenging one-offs and being present for clear operational reasons (ie. DCE to Southampton), but this is an eminently avoidable scenario, as any 'operational issue' in this case has been created post facto. I hope we're all proved wrong on this one, and we still get 'clean steam'.

16. Dobbs0054

Dobbs0054 Member

Never used the words "authorised rules."

But to take your point, my car did a pretty good run over 100mph. Great performance so maybe I can ignore the 70mph on the motorway in future. Lots of locos are doing excellent performances based on hard toil by volunteers not zillions wasted on a show pony...

Ah profit. Yes all businesses like to make a profit, That comes from pricing the product too. If a loco can only take 10 unassisted then the cost of the tour should be priced accordingly delivering pure steam. Cost is a fact, price is a policy. If the policy is not to deliver pure staem then be open and honest about it.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
    Spamcan81, 26D_M and Harry Stanger like this.
  17. guycarr360

You could almost guarantee if it ran as planned over S&C the pusher would be in place.
    And as far as I am aware 60103, is a national icon, and has not required a push about last sunday.

And surely the extra coach, will not cover the extra crew and loco required.

18. 242A1

242A1 Well-Known Member

A load of 12 coaches is still less than the loads that BR considered to be satisfactory in the 70s. The locomotive is more capable now than it was then and bearing in mind the loads that can be worked with Gresley Pacifics, let alone the fact that the original A1s were designed with a 600 ton load in mind, it is strange that anyone should be concerned about what is a very modest increase in load.

Spamcan81 likes this.
  19. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

Without disagreeing with the substance of your point, the NRM commissioned a report from engineering consultants which resulted in a very clear set of sensible operational recommendations for the loco once restored. This included advice on the maximum loads amongst other things.

20. 242A1

242A1 Well-Known Member

Very true. However the locomotive was restored by a team of well respected people who will have by now a very good idea of the capabilities of the machine. The original "load eleven" always looked too low given the fact that these machines can handle twice that on their home route (though I wouldn't ask that of one now).