If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

RTC 'The High Peak Explorer: 17/03/18

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Bulleid Pacific, Oct 31, 2017.

1. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Not really surprising is it.

Shep Woolley likes this.
  2. guycarr360

guycarr360 Part of the furniture

They will have had a hi-viz from Sports Direct on @RalphW , makes them all official......

3. alastair

alastair Well-Known Member

Many a true word spoken in jest.....

From Youtube comments:

[​IMG]
    trainsurfers
    13 hours ago
    No, we were both wearing hi-vis jackets and the location is next to a canal bank which all you have to do is climb a slight hill, plus we know nearly all of the West Coast crew and 2 out of the crew in the 45690 waved as they passed us. But hey people are gonna think what they want but were nothing like the cretins who forced Flying Scotsman to stop on her return.

So that's all fine then.....

:eek:

guycarr360, RalphW and Johnb like this.
  4. Moylesy98

Moylesy98 Guest

Was certainly a good trip out behind 45690 & 45157 yesterday, im currently putting the main video together and will post a link for when the final video is uploaded but here's footage from yesterday's Livestream I did from on-board when going up the Hindlow Branch.

5. mrKnowwun

mrKnowwun Part of the furniture

Retired
    And here we are, Overbridge no 9 on the way to Hindlow. A small but VERY hardy people group of people were there to film it, including Sean who thought it a good idea to use me as a wind shelter. Then an unscheduled stop at Chinley with an amusing discourse about the steam heating.

I overnighted in Glossop, where by the next morning I was more or less snowed in with the BBC claiming all my routes out were blocked. A snow plough came through so I followed it out, and the route there after was past Chinley, nearby where a Network Rail emergency response crew were pondering over a snow drift that had closed the line the previous days excursion had taken.

6. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Retired, best job I've ever had
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Is it just me who is getting a bit fed up with others acting as judge and jury on whether a shot was taken from a trespass position?

Enterprise and iancawthorne like this.
  7. guycarr360

guycarr360 Part of the furniture

Think you are sending out contradictory message @Johnb

In one post by Alastair, you like his comment that the poster of the clip has indeed contradicted himself as well, giving the Hi-viz allows me everywhere, no mention of a NR PTS, and @Big Al comments on seeing them in a compromising area, regarding access.

Then you come on all judge and jury, getting "a bit fed up", at the witch hunt, for me, pass the clip to NR, as idiots like this could curtail steam.....

alastair likes this.
  8. henrywinskill

henrywinskill Well-Known Member

Transgender toilet attendant
    From what I can remember over the years on this forum there have been quite a few accusations of trespass but I cannot remember any person or persons being prosecuted.

Spamcan81 and Johnb like this.
  9. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Retired, best job I've ever had
    Ever since the return to steam there have been dire warnings about idiots curtailing steam running and in 45 years it hasn't happened. It really is none of our business whether he's got a NR PTS or not. It's refreshing to go to the continent sometimes to witness the more tolerant the regime that we used to have. Certainly no thought of grassing anyone up to the authorities. Just enjoy his video and get on with life.

Enterprise, Spamcan81 and gricerdon like this.
  10. Hemerdon

Hemerdon Member Friend

Retired
    I also sometimes take a photo of the tripod position. Sad we feel we need to do this.

11. sgthompson

sgthompson Part of the furniture Friend

Tobacco manufacturing
    Very true just a way things are I suppose.

12. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Well if you can take the opportunity to be dropped nearer to home than Stockport, then why not! :)

13. mrKnowwun

mrKnowwun Part of the furniture

Retired
    And a warm coal fire of course, perks of the job.

14. Oswald T Wistle

Oswald T Wistle Well-Known Member Friend

ESI Eng Manager (Retd)
    The High Peak Explorer 17 March 2018 – 45690 Leander & 45407 (45157 The Glasgow Highlander) hauling 9+POB

Once again this was not the trip that was first advertised, clearance issues meant that Copy Pit and the Todmorden curve had to be abandoned. All credit to RTC for early notification (letter 19 Dec) however, the enclosed revised provisional times with an early start (07.00 from Preston) changed to an even earlier actual time of 06.25 and the 3 hours in Buxton became 4 – summer OK, winter not so good!

Mrs W made the trip last year and although impressed by Buxton she was not impressed by the weather (it was cold and rained) or the early start; she wisely chose to give this one a miss. I was up just after 4 AM, times were now available on RTT, the weather forecast for Buxton was, below freezing, a north east wind gusting over 40 mph and heavy snow showers. Thankfully the forecast overnight snow had not materialised but it was bitterly cold as I left home just before 5.30 and drove to Preston, a quick change of footwear from trainers to boots, and a walk to the station (6.10) where I joined a large band of heroes/fools.

The train arrived in platform 6 with Leander leading, driver Mick Kelly and 45407 (running as 45157 The Glasgow Highlander), driver Ian Riley. I was at the very back of coach G (9 coaches from the front), the steam heating had warmed the coach through. I was joined by Andalfi1, Andy (people are beginning to talk). At 06.25 (RT) we were away along the fast line. Some attention to the window with a squeegee and soap meant that we had a clear view in what was now full daylight. The two locos held the speed in the mid 50s on the climb to Coppull (54 at summit) a brief dash into the mid 60s on the descent to Wigan saw us pass through the station 3E only to be stopped south of the station.

Off again still 3E we curved left at Lowton Jn only to be stopped at Parkside Jn where we arrived RT but were 2L when allowed onto the Manchester line. Although historically significant this is perhaps the least interesting of routes available from the north into Manchester (featureless countryside and no gradients). Once away we accelerated up to 60 and then settled into the mid 50s before slowing approaching Patricroft (3L). We were stopped in Salford Central and again just before Man Vic and arrived in platform 3 (2L) where Big Al, Alan, joined our table. 4L we were off and the locos demolished Miles Platting (1/59r tightening to 1/47r), up to 23 whilst our coach was still in the platform, 27 crossing the Rochdale Rd and 31 as we swung right at Philips Park West Jn. One and three quarter miles of auditory pleasure; contrary to a post on this thread we, along with several others, did have the toplight open – may I suggest Specsavers. The usual “long way round” saw us reach our water stop at Denton 4E. The diners were having breakfast and, as they occupied the only coaches in the platform, there was no access for the “peasants” at the back to walk through – no complaints from me, given the temperature.

Watering complete, we left 6E and made our way the short distance to Heaton Norris Jn (arr 5E). We were held until RT before being allowed onto the main line. A wait of just over a minute on Stockport viaduct allowed us to experience the strength of the wind. Away, we accelerated through the station at 20 (4L) and were up to 31 as we branched left off the main line at Edgeley Jn (3L). It is here (at a height of 215ft) that the climb to Peak Forest (982ft) begins and takes around 16 miles. A little speed lost to Davenport (29) then up to 35 at Woodsmoor and speed building to 39 at Hazel Grove. When things were going so well we were stopped for 1 min at Hazel Grove HL Jn, losing all the impetus that we had gained.

Off again and into Disley Tunnel at 24 and out again at 35 (2m 346yd of 1/132r, av speed 31.4 mph), the sound was fantastic but what was it like for the crews? Speed was up to 43 at New Mills S Jn (7L); the hillsides were now covered with patchy snow, where the wind allowed. Slow through Chinley (25 & 5L) then off right at Chinley North Jn on to Chinley S Jn with Chapel-en-le frith below us. We were now running on the branch at around 20/25 mph, but slower as we entered Dove Holes Tunnel at 18 and out at 17 (1m 1224yd of 1/90r), even better sound. Just beyond the tunnel we reached the summit. We made a brief stop at Great Rocks Jn SB (token?). Onwards through Tunstead Works before slowing for the sharp RH curve that formed one side of the now lifted triangular junction to Millers Dale, the formations could be clearly seen between the bare trees and were highlighted with snow. It was then another 3.5 miles of steady climb to Buxton SB where we stopped (3E) to await our entry to Buxton station.

Buxton station is a terminus station with access only from the north (Manchester via Whaley Bridge). Arriving via Peak Forest (south-east) means that we have to make use of a RR loop that lies to the east of and parallel to the Manchester line. We drew into the loop (both locos at the north end and facing north). As propelling a train with passengers into the station is prohibited the lead engine, Leander, was detached, ran round and was attached to the rear of the train. Easier to say than do, as NR staff were needed to tend the points. However, we crossed over to the Manchester line and Leander drew the train into the station 6E. There was time for a quick look at Leander (45407 was in the distance way beyond the platform), then down to the Wye Bridge House (Wetherspoons) for breakfast (still only 10.15).

Andy joined me a few minutes later and Alan an hour or so after that (a quick walk around the town – brave man, there was an icy blast with heavy snow showers). Leisurely dining and lots of chat managed to pass on most of the 4 hour stopover. Seated by a window and perhaps 30 or 40 yds from the road bridge I saw our train, top & tail (tender first) retreat back towards Peak Forest for turning at Chinley (and servicing). Viewed through a window opposite a train crossed the viaduct coming down from Hindlow. Later another from Peak Forest crossed the road bridge on its way towards Buxton. Buxton URS was busy and hence our train had to “disappear”. As departure neared, we made our way back to the station, there had been several heavy snow showers but the roads were clear with a covering on grass and areas sheltered from the wind.

The ECS was due in at 14.28 and arrived RT with 45407 leading (chimney first) and 45690 on the back facing the same direction. Once we had boarded 45690 drew us back out of the station and into the loop. The whole train had been turned and coach G was once again the ninth coach – c’est la vie. We were ready for the off but had to wait for a NR “minder” to accompany the lead loco crew to identify the location of a “de-railer” at the limit of our journey??!! The individual was delayed because of an accident and contrary to what appears on RTT, we began our journey up the Hindlow branch 11L. This was, reportedly, the first trip up the branch by preserved steam. We left the loop as though we were going back into the station but then branched to the left immediately in front of Buxton SB (the Peak Forest line is “behind” the box). So 45407 leading, chimney first, driven by Mick Rawling and 45690 on the rear, chimney first, driven by Peter Kirk.

The line begins at 1/62r and crosses Hogshaw viaduct, it continues at this gradient for 2 miles to the site of the former Beswick’s sidings where it continues for another mile at 1/330r and after a slight easing continues for a little less than a mile at 1/60r to Dowlow summit (1267ft). Our limit was a little over 4 miles. The locos coped easily blasting up the hill around 20 mph, the sound was magnificent especially through the 514yds Hindlow Tunnel (on the 1/60r). Higher than Ais Gill, the landscape is not bleak moorland but there are fields and trees although it is in parts scarred by quarry workings and huge industrial buildings. As we climbed there was an increased covering of snow and as we emerged from Hindlow Tunnel the sun shone and it was a veritable winter wonderland. There were plenty of watchers and many of those were recording the scene – well done them. After a wait of 12 mins we retraced our steps and were back in Buxton URS at 15.54 . We spotted a surprise item of railwayana, a water crane that still in situ on the edge of the former Midland Railway site. {Google Earth – use streetview on the Aldi car park (near the station) and look at the back wall of the car park}.

Back in Buxton URS, 45690 was detached and ran round to be attached as train engine with 45407 as pilot. At 16.32 (2E) we passed Buxton SB on our way back through Peak Forest towards Chinley S Jn (thankfully to turn left towards Manchester and not the long way home via Sheffield and Wakfield). We were early and were held for 4 mins before Chinley S Jn (passed 2E), Chinley N Jn (RT) then an unscheduled stop of half a minute at a snow covered Chinley station; speculation was that someone had a train to catch (caught on video). We reached a max of 61 between Chinley and New Mills S Jn. Our run down the hill was uneventful, Hazel Grove, Woodsmoor, and Davenport were all passed 3E. Our early running resulted in us being held at Edgeley Jn where, 1L, we were allowed onto the main line. We had a scheduled pathing stop in platform 4 at Stockport but those passengers who wanted were allowed to leave the train here (a big time saver). Alan left for his return to the south. Then only a short journey back to Denton (3E) for our final water stop.

We left Denton and a slow approach to Ashton Moss N Jn lost us more time, then a spurt into the high 50s past Droylsden before slowing for the junctions and curving left towards Man Vic, slowly down the bank and into platform 3 (3L). We were away again (2L), a bit of a crawl out of Manchester, Eccles (2L & 16), Patricroft (3L & 37) we were up in the mid 50s as we passed Astley SB (2L) and were RT at Parkside Jn but were held at Golborne Jn and again south of Wigan station which we passed 5L. Speed gradually built up to 60 past Charnock Richard and we finally stopped in Preston (7L).

At Preston there was NO SNOW, just about everywhere else there had been some snow – unbelievable! Back to the car park and I bade farewell to Andy who had a longer and potentially more problematic drive back to Haworth. As I got nearer to Darwen the snow began to fall, by the town centre the pavements and parts of the road were covered and still a further mile and 200ft climb to home, conditions worsened but steadily I chugged home, without too much margin in hand. I woke this morning to much more snow and wouldn’t have made it to Preston today – lucky Oswald!

This was always an enthusiasts trip, time of day, time of year, destination and we turned out in our numbers. The weather that could have caused problems actually enhanced the tour; Hindlow was spectacular in the snow. Thanks and well done to RTC for promoting this trip and to WCRC who were professional throughout, there were four sets of enginemen needed on a day when they were operating another trip in the northwest – how fortunate we are.

I had good company throughout and it was mostly railways and steam that were the topics of conversation. Now what’s next . . . Whitby with fish and chips for lunch (yum, yum). That is, of course, bridges and skip wagons permitting.

15. henrywinskill

-30 when I was there Ian Feb 2003/4

16. J Shuttleworth

J Shuttleworth Member

Indeed!

17. J Shuttleworth

J Shuttleworth Member

Having ensured that Al could get home, I think it only reasonable to get home myself!

JS

18. henrywinskill

Yes good to see you making an appearance James,Excellent trip from all Ive heard

19. RLinkinS

RLinkinS Member

Thanks to all those who have posted photos and video for our enjoyment. I hope the feeling has returned to your extremities

20. Moylesy98

Moylesy98 Guest

Was on-board this aswell, when it came to going up the Hindlow branch id expected for us to go right into the quarry sidings rather than stopping just after Hindlow Tunnel. My YT video from onboard is still in the works, iv finished it but it's just the job of rendering it. First time iv done a full video with Sony Vegas Pro so just one I need to get used to.

Although this isn't up yet I do however have a video on my channel which was a Livestream I did going up the Hindlow Branch from a droplight in coach F, was seated in coach G but wanted to get as close as possible (the other droplights were taken). I'll share the link for the finished video once iv got it up on my channel.