If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

RTC 2023

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Bulleid Pacific, Oct 1, 2022.

1. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

And me, since I need the sections mentioned by BP.

Sent from my XQ-AS52 using Tapatalk

Mick45305 and Bulleid Pacific like this.
  2. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    For the photographers among us who are wishing to see Bahamas at Cockwood Harbour on Saturday evening, be aware that the train passes at 18:02. Unfortunately low tide is at 18:10.

Hope this helps. <BJ>

3. Phil K

Phil K Member

Yes, we're rather tempted too - but will it fit in Sheerness? I presume the stock won't be stabled there for the 'short break' as I'm not convinced the platforms are long enough for a charter length train in one and the other open for service trains?

4. TH Railway Videos

TH Railway Videos New Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    It appears RTC have rather quietly pushed back the date of The Great Yarmouth Flyer with Flying Scotsman to Friday 23rd June vice Saturday 24th June

5. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Provided that the train is no longer than 9 plus POB everything should fit, I think.

6. 30567

30567 Part of the furniture Friend

7. MarkinDurham

MarkinDurham Well-Known Member

I did the B&T a few years ago now - K1 at one end & the K4 on the other, IIRC. We did Blyth North & the Stillington branch as part of the tour, if memory serves? Had a spirited run north from York with the K4, via the low level lines at Northallerton, again if I have the memory "ducks in a row".

Do we have any idea which loco from the Carnforth pool is lined up for this?

8. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

With the CME on 3rd having had a diesel on the back, until it died, presumably the trip on 10th will likewise. Those RTT pages imply steam (with an unknown amount of assistance) from Cleethorpes to York, diesel from there to Morpeth, but then steam back to York, so presumably the steam loco (whichever it is) and support coach will be going down the main line to Morpeth.

Edit: Brain now re-engaged. Diesel and steam as stated in post #350.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2023
  9. Big Al

10. Big Al

Looks like a diesel trip to and from York with steam on its own north of York?

MarkinDurham and MellishR like this.
  11. 30567

30567 Part of the furniture Friend

Depends whether reversing is permitted to Morpeth Turnback Siding --- that's leaving fire risk issues to one side.

12. MellishR

Yes, thanks for putting me straight.

13. MellishR

Considering the weather, diesel-free to Morpeth is looking unlikely, but it that does happen it's presumably possible for the steam to propel back off the main line after dropping the passengers.

14. JonathanH

JonathanH New Member

44932 quoted on the booking.

mike1522 and blink bonny like this.
  15. MarkinDurham

MarkinDurham Well-Known Member

Lovely. Ideal loco for the job, as there's no K1 or K4 to hand. Thanks.

16. Rover

Rover New Member

Did Morpeth behind the Duchess a few years ago via the Blyth line, and returned main line, but i cant recall where they turned her. Just curious, but what does one find to do for over 3 hours in Morpeth?

17. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    Plenty of pubs in Morpeth. Quite a nice town, really once you walk to it (about 15 minutes or so). Also Emily Davison's and John Rastrick's (father of the builder of Agenoria) graves. Spent a good six hours there in February and still didn't see all of it.

18. blink bonny

blink bonny Member

Nice.

It's the 56th anniversary of a big day on the local line. 10th June 1967, 45562 Alberta hauled the Ashington Rail Tour on the leg to Newcastle and the Blyth & Tyne for a visit toi the internal NCB rail system and the big NCB Area Workshops. A cracking hot day (this Saturday won't be) and I was a school laddie on my bike chasing the train. We didn't get namers on our branch, especially those with numbers not in the 60000s. I went first to Bedlington station (where this week's special turns off for Morpeth), then to North Blyth shed where it was serviced and to the dismay of the crew, the turntable was too small to take the Jubilee, so it had to be turned on the triangle near Sleekburn. Then I peddled home to Ashington to get Alberta as it came in tender first and took the return from the NCB internal station.

That day, the same as this Saturday was also the local Miners' Picnic Day and there was a lot going on there too. Sadly the pits have all gone, there aren't any miners and the numbers of ex-miners are dwindling, but there are still celebrations at Ashington this week as a substitute for the big 1967 Picnic at the traditional Bedlington site.

I spent my pocket money on a slide film for the occasion. It's a pity my camera was fixed at 1/50sec. 259-45562-'Alberta'-Reversing-into-North-Blyth-shed-10-Jun-67-fbook.jpg 264-45562-'Alberta'-Ashington-Colliery-10-June-1967-fbook.jpg 265-45562-'Alberta'-Ashington-Colliery-10-June-1967-sky-corrected-fbook.jpg 269-45562-'Alberta'-Ashington-Colliery-10-June-1967-fbook.jpg

19. JonathanH

JonathanH New Member

They won't have turned it anywhere. The whole point of going on from Newcastle to Morpeth is to turn the train, as the Blyth line forms a loop.

MarkinDurham likes this.
  20. 6026 King John

6026 King John Well-Known Member

Just looking at the timings for Flying Scotsman's trip to Cardiff tomorrow. No doubt that it is 60103 as Realtime Trains carries a note saying "This service is likely to be extremely popular with lots of people going out to see it"!!!

Strange thing is there doesn't seem to be a water stop on the outward leg till possibly Pilning (which I think has the distinction of being one of Britains least used stations). There is a stop of just 2 minutes at the Challow loop, then about 10 mins in the middle road at Swindon but that's it. Does Scotsman really have the capacity to get to Pilning on one tenderful or is the Class 47 on the rear going to be shoving it most of the way?

We know there has to be a diesel on the rear for doing the Maindee Junction to Cardiff bit