If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

RTC 2014

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by mike1522, Sep 25, 2013.

1. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Probably one of the main issues would be cost, anyone with a suitable low loader want to volunteer to move them for nothing.

2. J Shuttleworth

J Shuttleworth Member

It's not so much as whether they are happy, more, are they complying with the legal obligations and commitments of their franchise?

ORR are very hot on this and will jump on the franchisee, if they are thought to be diverging from their obligations, especially if a service is specifically subsidised. If there are no services, such as with 9466 or the railmotor on the Looe branch, no problem (in fact FGW, to their credit, took an active role in the promotion); however, if there is any doubt, there has to be adequate provision for their normal passengers. Some may remember the only real attempt on a Bristish 'plandampf', on the Mallaig line, when a replacement bus service shadowed the steam all day.

And then there's cost. The Looe ops were incredibly expensive, even then, but worked because there was a enough 'one-off' attraction to cover the costs. Don't forget that the 9466 and the railmotor were transported most of the way by road; they would not be travelling far on the main line. Moreover, as Bob Meanley has said, he, for one, would need a lot of persuasion to support such a remote operation, as it impacts on almost everything VT/TLW does, including the day job.

JS

maureen, spicer21 and Drysdale like this.
  3. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Thanks very much for this. Practical realism does help to ground the free thinking ideas! However, in the way that the Seaford trip was clever - because of the anniversary element and the flexibility of Southern - it would be nice to think that FGW could do the same in the south west. What they suggested for the SD trip - attaching a unit to their regular services - provided a solution, albeit to few people's liking, I think. So with better planning, it would be good to see a WC/VT partnership coming up with something that would tick all boxes. By the way, Penmere on the Maritime Line is 90 in 2015. (It was a later opening than the others). So there's an anniversary date, albeit an obscure one.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  4. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Coming back to RTC: their website shows The Cheshireman on 20th September running from Euston and picking up at Watford etc, whereas UK Steam shows it (postponed from May) starting at Ealing Broadway. Which is more likely? If from Ealing, which way would it got from there: Acton Wells - Willesden then as advertised? Or via Banbury and Birmingham?

5. gwr4090

gwr4090 Part of the furniture

Scientist (Rtd)
    There is still some uncertainty about the starting point but I think it will run via Wembley (not Banbury).

6. Big Al

I see from elsewhere that West Coast is purchasing some coaches from the businessman Andrew Goodman. These were previously used until recently on a dining train - Elegant Excursions - that operated on the Gloucester Railway Society line by chartering GWR locos/staff.

I think it's fair to say that in the past, passengers on RTC trips have experienced less than adequate quality on some West Coast stock that needed more than just a lick of paint and the odd tweak of electrics. The complete overhaul of a coach is actually quite an expensive and time consuming business so I am sure that there is a real tension between loco and rolling stock maintenance. I'm guessing that WC doesn't benefit from enthusiast groups on a heritage line such as the Bluebell who may take on individual (historic) vehicles as a separate enterprise.

Anyway, this is good news for main line charters as the sale must increase and by implication improve still further the available stock for the RTC and, of course, SD.

7. 30567

30567 Part of the furniture Friend

I got a brochure called Spirit of the Lakes from WCR ' A new Pullman train for the North' . Mostly diesel but does include steam along the Cumbrian Coast from E Yorks and Selby on 11/4/15 and another one from Skegness to Stratford on Avon on 9/5/15. Looks like they are increasing the fare differential between standard, first and dining next year.

8. 1020 Shireman

1020 Shireman Part of the furniture Friend

Relaxingly retired
    Thought I'd just use this old thread. What a surprise, Saturday 4th October's CME is Not steam hauled from Crewe to Carlisle and back by 46115, but is a usual CME, Carnforth to Carlisle and back to Farington Jn. Not even got 46115 but Galatea with 11 if the letter is correct. Only a mere 108 less steam miles than advertised. Must say it was exactly what I expected but did hope for once the train would run as advertised. Cut and paste strikes again.

RayMason likes this.
  9. D7076

D7076 Well-Known Member

and I booked on Lune Rivers the same day hoping for a jubilee as scot was otherwise engaged...

10. Big Al

Well all I can say is good luck with Galatea especially if it's 11 - i.e. 12 with POB. Those who know say that she's ok once she has warmed up so a nice cold start straight out of Carnforth and up to Yealand Summit isn't ideal.

11. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    Either 34046 or 34067 on the 'Easterling' next weekend. Seriously thinking of doing it, and there doesn't seem to be any route issues thus far. However, will possibly wait until tomorrow before booking.

12. spicer21

spicer21 Guest

34046's "last" mainline tour may not be tomorrow after all then, : ) I know which of those two light Bulleid Pacifics I'd rather have at the front.

green five likes this.
  13. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    RTC offering £5 off in any class for the Easterling, ref ELK...

14. Duty Druid

Duty Druid Resident of Nat Pres

Yes I am an active volunteer
    UK Steam still showing the B1.............. chances of it happening = slim to none........ :(

I "might" go out to see it depending on what time it leaves "The Cross".......

15. JDTTRAINS

JDTTRAINS Member

Station Team Leader, Thameslink
    Got a nice little spot lined up for this IF it uses that new flyover at Hitchin, what are the chances of it? If not perhaps the Viaduct north of Welwyn.

16. JDTTRAINS

JDTTRAINS Member

Station Team Leader, Thameslink
    Just booked onto the Yuletide trip to York from Bedford on the 20th next month.