If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Royal Duchy series 2014

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by mike1522, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Hemerdon

Hemerdon Member Friend

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Thank you. Sadly my cricket skills were not that great.

2. KristianGWR

KristianGWR Member

My footage of yesterday's run. Seen at Yatton, Dainton, Coombe Fishacre and Exeter.

andalfi1, Hemerdon and KentYeti like this.
  3. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Very nice, Kristian.

I thought it a shame that we didn't get a volcano of black smoke as Tangmere departed from Yatton.
    As you know, as the train sat at Yatton station the smoke belched all over the town ..... much to the
    annoyance of the locals, some of who may have just hung their washing out. <BJ>

KristianGWR likes this.
  4. Hemerdon

Hemerdon Member Friend

Retired
    If you want black smoke then see my video above taken at Dawlish Warren, plenty of it there!

5. free2grice

34067 Tangmere departed from Bristol TM on time at 08:48 this morning hauling the Royal Duchy for the final time this season. It was a nice cool morning and so plenty of clag. The usual nine coaches today for the tour. <BJ>

6. DH34105

DH34105 Member

Tangmere stormed out of Taunton in fine style on time this morning looking super in the misty sunshine and away towards Whiteball at a considerable rate

DH

7. free2grice

Forgot to add, NO DIESEL!! :) <BJ>

8. hatherton hall

hatherton hall Well-Known Member

Despite some bad press when it comes to diesels shoving steam tours, West Coast seem to be confident of Tangmere's capabilities over the very stiff South Devon banks with no diesel but are not as confident when it comes to Oliver Cromwell to Canterbury today. And yet, the former is of course a much stiffer proposition by miles. Oh well.

9. iancawthorne

iancawthorne Well-Known Member

D1002 likes this.
  10. KristianGWR

KristianGWR Member

Decided to make a divert to Whiteball whilst on the way to the Lynton & Barnstaple Railway. Video to follow tomorrow afternoon.

Attached Files:

11. Hemerdon

Hemerdon Member Friend

Retired
    Here’s my video of the run on the 28th. Not the best today. On the outward run coasting down through the woods at Hemerdon. On the return at Ivybridge station.

KristianGWR likes this.
  12. free2grice

This is the vicinity where Tangmere stopped at a signal to catch its' breath.
    I was told by a crew member that the climb to Hemerdon slightly winded the loco.
    Has anyone else heard similar? <BJ>

Update:
    Hemerdon due 1912. Actual 1911½ RT
    Ivybridge due 1918. Actual 1923¾ 5L
    Aish Emergency Crossover due 1923. Actual 1933½ 10L

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  13. maureen

maureen Member

Well Oliver Cromwell failed today, but there has never been any problems with Tangmere over the Devon banks, she just needs the right driver who understands her doing the driving.

14. LMarsh1987

LMarsh1987 Part of the furniture Friend

TBC
    How was Tangmere's run up Hemerdon today ? Will it ever beat it's run up the bank on September 7th ?

15. No.7

No.7 Well-Known Member

Yes this correct, stopped at MP230.5 to refill the boiler before the decent of Rattery/Tigley. Sadly not a great run yesterday, the coal must have been awful, I've never seen so much grey smoke. After a rapid start really struggled on Whiteball, same story Taunton - Yatton. Those of us who had been on 5029 last week felt a sense of deja vu. The crew did a great job to get us home on time.

Tony172 likes this.
  16. KristianGWR

KristianGWR Member

And here is said video.

17. maureen

maureen Member

Ray said the coal wasn't good it was Yorkshire coal and he had steaming problems at Whiteball, Bill Wariner was the driver who took over at Plymouth.

18. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Same old story. Choose your coal carefully..... and the supplier. Difficult I am sure but not impossible and so critical to proper steaming. Isn't it arguably as important a decision as the quality of the FTR examination?

19. 1020 Shireman

1020 Shireman Part of the furniture Friend

Relaxingly retired
    Having said all that, a few years ago we'd have killed for a Class 7 Pacific with load 9 performing as 34067 did on Sunday's train. Yes, the coal was a problem at times but on the outward journey we popped over Flax Bourton Summit at 52; the max was 75 before the stop at Yatton. We had the usual mid 70s running to Taunton and only missed an even time by a second or two. The climb to Whiteball was going seriously well until slipping at MP 170.III where we were doing 65, even with a couple more slips we went into the tunnel at 49 and accelerated to 76 before Tiverton Parkway. The run around the estuary was good, 73 approaching Star Cross. a signal check ruined the charge through Newton Abbot with a max of 58 just after Aller 25 into the tunnel was more than acceptable from 45 through NA . We'd caught up the service train and were stopped before Totnes but a charge through the station at 59 led to 25 at Tigley and 30 at Rattery. Cornwall wasn't too shabby. The summits between St German's and Menheniot were 32 and 42, Doublebois 29 and a final 35 into Treverrin tunnel. The return srarted fine, 22 into Treverrin tunnel, but the long climb through Bodmin and onward saw speed drop to 23 by the summit.
    Nothing seemed that amiss leaving Plymouth and we hit the bottom of Hemerdon at 65. There was a big slip near MP 240 and then a fairly rapid speed loss to the summit, reached at 15. After the short stop to fill the boiler the run across the top was muted. We passed Totnes at 57 and it was the last half mile that took its toll again, dropping from 35 to 22 into the tunnel. A good effort by most standards. Bill Warriner was happy to talk about the coal problems but he said it was manageable. It looked like we were going to have a seriously special climb of Whiteball. Around MP 185 we were doing 69 and held it until speed started dropping near MP 182. Then the poor coal hit us and the speed dropped to 33 by the summit. Still manged a decent dash back to Yatton, Bridgwater at 74, Highbridge 70, and just missed an even time due to a slow approach to Yatton. The final section wasn't spectacular, Nailsea passed at 55 and Flax Bourton Tunnel exited at 52. A few years ago it would have been classed as a seriously good performance but both Tangmere and Cromwell have set higher standards.

free2grice and KentYeti like this.