If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Royal Duchy 2015

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Hemerdon, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Plucking figures out of the air is all well and good but as none of us here are party to the hire contract between RTC and WCRC, it is impossible to say what the economics of a shorter train really are. As royce6229 pointed out, the trip to Blaenau was only six and I'd be surprised if that was being deliberately run at a loss. Another scenario would be to add a couple more coaches and double head/top and tail it with steam.

2. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

No I do not currently volunteer
    I take the view that on routes that have some steep climbs then a diesel on the back may be a good move, or even if it shaddowed the train, in the case of this tour, had the 47 been at Plymouth, then its likely that 34067 would have been failed and the tour ran with the 47, or with the 47 leading with Tangmere only in light steam to return it to Bristol .

3. johnnew

johnnew Member

PRO The Stephenson Locomotive Soc.
    There is a suggestion in the DCE thread that Tangmere now has a middle valve gear/cross head problem which is why it didn't run to Weymouth today. However whether there was a fault with the reverser which fault led to the restarting issues which damaged the middle gear or the gear fault occurred during the day and that caused the slipping isn't stated. If the centre set wasn't fully working at Plymouth with an undetected inside VG/motion fault then not surprising the heavy train, down on power, struggled to get away and then stuck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

We've discussed the relative economics of some variations and their attractiveness or otherwise to various kinds of customer: lighter train that the loco can definitely cope with barring abnormal events; heavier train with diesel at the back; load that's marginal for the loco with a backup diesel not too far away. But what about double heading? Loco and crew costs obviously double, but minus the cost of a diesel and its driver. Track access the same as single heading or a bit more? Marketing, ticketing, etc presumably the same.

5. johnnew

johnnew Member

PRO The Stephenson Locomotive Soc.
    But comes full circle to available loco shortages hence the underpowered loco being diesel assisted (or not) in the first place! Perhaps an answer is circular routes like the York - Harrogate - Leeds - York route but lapped twice rather than linear trips. Same options for serving meals and a day out in a nice place but more options to source a thunderbird diesel if problems happen. Run with service train links.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. Enterprise

Enterprise Part of the furniture

If future mainline steam tours were always diesel assisted I would give them up. However, I enjoy diesel tours especially with rarer locomotives. I am especially enthusiastic about Deltics but a Western is a good substitute and it's hard to beat a Tractor unless it's a pair of Tractors. Duffs you can keep. Now this might surprise but I probably wouldn't travel on a Deltic tour if it were towing a Duff around. As is said, "You can please some of the people........".

7. Hemerdon

Hemerdon Member Friend

Retired
    Thinking specifically of the Exeter to Plymouth route (my local line), I've thought it a shame there's probably no business case for one of the South West Heritage Railways having a mainline certified, gauge friendly, loco on their books that could provide double heading over the South Devon banks. If I won the lottery (yes, I dream like others) I would support this type of arrangement.

burnettsj likes this.
  8. ashtav0

ashtav0 New Member

Carer,general assistant
    Why can't Kinlet Hall come on at Taunton, I even said this to the facebook group it's perfectly capable of working to Plymouth. Take it off there and join again for the return .

9. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

If only it was that simple then it would be a good idea but unfortunately it isn't. I'm not saying it's impossible but rather it isn't as easy to do as you may think.

10. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

I have received a video on my Youtube subs. from 1Z64 today which features the 34067 run from Sunday. Two clips from the outward run at the beginning of the video show 34067 making a bizarre noise at speed. Clearly something was not right:

cg likes this.
  11. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    At the risk of stating the obvious, 'summat's come adrift, there...' Strange how there was no evidence of it at Dawlish.

12. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

And what happened presumably took place between the FTR exam and Nailsea - less than 10 miles - or was there to start with. Inaudible on the footplate, one would guess.

13. 34098

34098 Member Account Suspended

Maybe in future, the diesel will be taken along, instead of being left in bristol....

14. BillyReopening

BillyReopening Member

Freelance Trumpet Player // IT Engineer
    I doubt we will find out what, after last time I would be wanting to keep quiet..

15. mike1522

mike1522 Long Time Member Friend

I'm guessing that 70000 shall now be main power. That is unless anything else available. But that may just be speculation on my part.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  16. mrKnowwun

mrKnowwun Part of the furniture

Retired
    Dont be fooled, Tangmere has a catalogue of weird mechanical noises to call on, all of which are perfectly "normal"

17. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    I know it clanks as a matter of course, but that was CLANKING above and beyond the normal for 34067.

18. mike1522

mike1522 Long Time Member Friend

I know of another loco here in the states that clanks. 4449

19. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    I've just watched my film clip of Tangmere on the outward run approaching Whiteball tunnel.
    It was filmed from the lane next to the railway so was close to the train. At this point there were
    no obvious clanking noises from the loco.
    I saw the train once again at Dawlish. I was on the hill above Kennaway tunnel but to be honest
    I could hardly hear the train because of the sound of the waves hitting the seawall. <BJ>

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  20. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Noises depend a lot on whether the loco is under power or coasting.