If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Rolling stock maintenance funding

Discussion in 'Heritage Rolling Stock' started by 25321, Jul 1, 2009.

1. pcgenius9

pcgenius9 Member

IT
    Maybe voicing your concerns on public boards is not the best thing to do. Even if you think your stock is in poor condition and the place is untidy you should still have a duty as a volunteer to wish to attract members of the public to the place. If I was an ordinary member of the public looking at this, I wouldn't bother visiting because I can see that the staff aren't happy and I would have a picture in my mind of the place that has been painted by them.

2. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The problem that is going to arise is that it isn't possible to simply scrap and replace coaches nowadays. Good Mk 1s are like gold dust and will command high prices, and even suitable Mk 2s are now rare. So basically, you have to look after what you already have!

3. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

I agree it may put some people off but then reducing visitor numbers may force the board to do something about it.

4. Avonside1563

Avonside1563 Well-Known Member

Bolton's Sidings, just behind the running shed!
    At Foxfield we have a dedicated Carriage department and the quality of the work they are turning out is good and getting better. The Stock gets regular inspections and repaints, some of the comments made following last weekends gala reflect this. The society has made a conscious decision to invest in the passenger stock as this is the one place the public have to go and reflects heavily on their overall opinion of their visit, almost as much as the condition of the loos!

5. Avonside1563

Avonside1563 Well-Known Member

Bolton's Sidings, just behind the running shed!
    There are plans for the Bass Belle, but it requires major woodwork to fit a new headstock on one end for which we have the timber in store waiting to be fitted. Any Carpenters out there fancy a go let me know.

At present the current members' attention is focused on the North Staffordshire Railway coaches and raising funds to restore these two vehicles to traffic.