If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Robert Hudson Ltd builders plate

Discussion in 'Railwayana' started by pete12000, Sep 14, 2014.

1. pete12000

pete12000 Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I recently saw a 'Robert Hudson Ltd' builders plate attached to a narrow gauge carriage, the rest of the wording was 'GILDERSOME FOUNDRY near Leeds, England'

The plate was made from brass and there wasn't a number stamped in the space on the plate, does anyone know how common or rare these are, and what kind of price they sell for?

2. huochemi

huochemi Part of the furniture

No I do not currently volunteer
    Are you thinking of liberating it? :eek: The loco plates seem to be quite expensive, but depend on the loco. I doubt a carriage plate is worth that much.

3. pete12000

pete12000 Member

Now there's a thought..... though I don't think the owners would be too pleased :mad:

I've not come across one before, and yes I wouldn't mind buying one if it's affordable, I'm hoping someone may know a bit more about them or if they ever come up for sale?

I've looked at the Procast and Newton replica's sites, but can't see a reproduction available either....?

4. derobeck

derobeck New Member

Hudsons date from about 1865 and speciallised in making light railway equipment of all kinds. They seem to have made a few locos, although contracted out much work to better known loco makers. They went out of business in the early 1980s.

More detail : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Hudson_Ltd

Very rare in railwayana auctions so there are no real benchmarks on prices, although I would imagine a loco plate would be sought after, but as an earlier post said, C&W plates are likely to be less desirable.
    Barry

5. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Given the amount of narrow gauge equipment supplied by Robert Hudson, I'd have thought that Hudson plates were once quite common. However, the plates on underground minecars were always of embossed sheet as far as I'm aware and that might have been the norm across the range.