If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Returning Locomotives to working order

Discussion in 'National Railway Museum' started by Rlangham, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Rlangham

Rlangham Well-Known Member

Okay, maybe a crazy idea, but could possibly work on a tramway system such as at Beamish (I think it's proper standard gauge track used on their tramway system as opposed to the different profile tramway track used originally) - but how about getting the North Eastern Railway Electric BO-BO Number 1 back into working order? It has a very important place in the history of railways in the UK as a very early electric locomotive, and had a very long life as well, longer than most (if not all) contemporary electric locomotives such as the other NER designs

2. ovbulleid

ovbulleid Member

i sit behind my computer clicking on 'view active
    interesting idea. i'd suggest that if you are particularly desperate to see an operational electric locomotive from that period i'd suggest the south tyneside railway's siemens E4. i'll agree that the few surviving early electrics are ignored (and are the only non-steam traction that really interest me), but finding somewhere to run an engine like this might prove tricky. authentic running would require an overhead line, or some form of battery storage as per siemens E4. maybe one of the predominantly modern traction lines would be suitable, like the mid norfolk. i'm not sure if beamish have the space for something as big as ES1, but they certainly have suitable stock.