If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Replica 'Lincoln Castle'

Discussion in 'Everything Else Heritage' started by Thompson1706, Nov 11, 2010.

1. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

About 2 days ago there was a documentary about inspecting shipping, one guy had a task of assessing if the Ryde was sea worthy to be towed to Newcastle for scrapping.. as soon as he saw it he laughed.. as soon as the camera panned to it.. I had to laugh... the ship is collapsing in on itself.. it has rusted through the sides and the inside is covered in sea sludge.
    I dont know too much about sea worthiness of ships but even I could tell that it will be near impossible to move it in one piece again... or even several pieces... it'll fall apart if anyone tries.

2. m0rris

m0rris New Member

Out of interest which channel was the documentary on?

As for Ryde, it is unfortunately borked, but it shows that we do need to focus on those that have survived so far!

m0rris

3. stan the man

stan the man Member

Ryde may well be a basket case but her engines should at least be saved.

Lets hope the Johnson Brothers or Copes have got nothing to do with her.

Stan

4. Tyne Turbine

Tyne Turbine New Member

I know you better than that - not in the right place at the right time perhaps, but not that old - never.

5. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

The Program was Sea Patrol UK, on one of the digital channels last week (I was rolling through channels and just happend on it).

6. m0rris

m0rris New Member

Many thanks for the info, Ill try and track it down.

I agree with you stan, this is one of the few cases where careful dismantling i called for, unlike what happened to HMS Stalker and her engines!

m0rris

7. Guest

Guest Part of the furniture Account Suspended

Occasional
    The programme illustrated perfectly the parlous and frankly dangerous condition of the vessel.

Leave them alone and they will rot along the waterline where sea and air are most corrosive and that is exactly what was shown - great gaping gashes all along that contour and mud and debris inside the vessel where the sea has been going in and out of her for years.

The surprise for me was that the mudflats around her appeared solid enough to take plant, as there was machinery around her, and the inspector actually drove up to her. At a cost - with care - and without the involvement of parties of the calibre of Copes and Johnsons retrievable material could be salvaged - whatever that may comprise; not just engines, but possibly steam driven capstans, steering engines etc.

The ship is finished - her component parts may yet be of further use

8. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Just looked up the TV schedules.. it was last Tuesday at 8pm on Channel 5.
    Apparently this Tuesday has an emergency drill on the QM2.

9. *8A*

*8A* New Member