If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Railway urged to go green

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Woodster21, May 28, 2012.

1. goldfish

goldfish Nat Pres stalwart

Yes, that's what I said (re:travel). Information on James Allen's blog about F1 being driven by sponsors to cut Carbon emissions by 12% over 3 years FOTA aims to slash carbon emissions within three years James Allen on F1.

Simon

2. crantock

crantock Member

Beancounter
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I think this just tells us that the EVR has reached Iconic success status such that others want to use it for their own publicity. Congratulations on the mature response by their spokesman.rr

3. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    EVR, 'Iconic success' Oh come on now, isn't that just a teensy bit OTT.

Iconic... Very famous or popular, especially being considered to represent particular opinions or a particular time.
    John Lennon gained iconic status following his death.

4. nferguso_wyvern

nferguso_wyvern New Member

Vice Chairman
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Oh, I think 'Iconic success' is good. :)

Thanks to all for their kind words in this topic and I much appreciate the comment regarding a mature response: I really had to reel my neck in when responding to the person who raised the matter with the paper.

Without discussing personalities, all I can add to this debate is that I took detailed advice from one of our locomotive owners, somebody who owns several large engines and is also a well-respected engineer on the Big Railway. The risks are huge in attempting to convert heritage diesel traction and so are the costs, not to mention the liabilities if anything goes wrong.

Biodiesel has a bad reputation for clogging fuel systems and if you consider that we have three main line locomotives (all owned by different individuals), heaven knows how many shunters and 7 or 8 DMU power cars, each with two engines, the logistics are frightening. And for what gain? Poorer fuel consumption, a whole host of technical unknowns and no guarantee of improved emissions anyway. We would even have to purchase a second diesel tank, build a bund for it and then hold 100% more diesel so we have regular and biodiesel storage.

Fortunately, the Matlock Mercury wrote a very even-handed article . As an aside, I often tease that Wirksworth is the 'museli-munching, sandal-wearing capital of Derbyshire', but every comment I received from people who had read the article were fully in support of the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway's position.

The big difference the EVR has made for emissions is to provide visitors to Wirksworth and the Ecclesbourne Valley with a credible alternative to taking their cars to the area.

Kind regards,

Neil Ferguson-Lee
    Ecclesbourne Valley Railway

5. Woodster21

Woodster21 Member

Have any heritage lines tried using bio-fuel?

6. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

If he wants to prat about with Bio or eco fuels, go bother a TOC and urge them to use it on new types where it can actually make a difference, Preserved Lines are a drop in the ocean when it comes to greenhouses gases and it's use is largely inpracticle with heritage equipment which was never designed to be used in a such a way, why should a preserved line put their traction (and by extension their future) at risk to please some hippie whos pastime is complaining ?, I rather suspect he's only bothering the EVR because bigger concerns who use Diesel fuel have laughed and told him where to go.

7. philw2

philw2 Member

Doesn't the Bluebell recycle rainwater? Surely heritage railways are pretty much recycling centres recycling old rolling stock, rails ,sleepers (not sure about ballast) building materials etc. I don't see the big railway recycling on such a massive scale..

8. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

In fairness I doubt the metal from a scrapped 37 or 56 is mush use in a Voyager which is plastic for the most part.

9. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    I'm sure a lot of ballast can be recycled, there is a large stock pile at Basford Hall and I think, a ballast washer/grader as well.

10. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer