If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Railway Touring Company 2016

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by mike1522, Sep 10, 2015.

1. Andrew Young

Andrew Young New Member

Certainly hope that DBS can be called in to get the Coronation over Beattock, typical that a programme worthy of that loco appears and all goes to hell lol. But we run into a fundemental trust element. On twitter RTC are saying;

'Our new tours always attract early bookings in good numbers. We suggest that if you choose one of these you book without hesitation'

Well does any here have no hesitations or reservations about the current situation. Members of the public who don't follow this stuff may be v annoyed and dismayed. As I said befor weve known about the pos of this for a few months now, so why no immediate plan b.

deaftech likes this.
  2. western nobleman

western nobleman Member

Ex-member due to inflamnatory posts by Mr Knowun
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    RTC were undoubtedly treated very badly by WCR last year. Admittedly the ban was imposed on WCR and therefore not under their control but until 3 days before the tour RTC were still promulgating entirely unrealistic information to maintain completely false customer expectations.

I can't agree with your statement GB9 is "a long way away" since for such a complicated tour involving catering and in particular hotel rooms advance arrangements will have already have been made. Given that final balance time (from customers) has occurred I hope that RTC haven't made the mistake of committing to accommodation and more important paying for it.

As far as I can see the only reason that GB 2015 ran (or half ran) was to ferry hapless passengers around the country with the sole purpose of occupying prepaid hotel rooms. I know said passengers subsequently received compensation, but to the best of my knowledge no one received a full refund or anywhere near it. DBS did their best at short notice but only with difficulty operated half the intended route using less than satisfactory diesel power and one of only two steam days was a washout.

What is also part of the equation in the legal case against WCRC (and driver) has already been adjourned to March and legal wheels grind extremely slow. Whatever the outcome in the courts this must surely delay any date on which the ORR is likely to reinstate the WCR operating licence. Having last year reinstated the licence before the problems were fully resolved they are unlikely to make the same mistake twice., so I suspect they will wait until legal proceedings are closed.

Having travelled on previous GBs I know that whilst many passengers are hardened steam enthusiasts & will know of all these problems many are what are considered as general tourists and it seems wrong to me that RTC are still quite happy to take my money for a holiday which on the balance of probabilities may not run in anything like the format advertised, or even perhaps at all. Likewise numerous day trips can be booked, including next Saturday, 27th Feb.

RTC are far from alone burying their collective heads in the sand. WCRs own brand tours are still available to book, as are other operators. It seems that with the honourable exception of Vintage Trains most companies will still relieve your wallet without any assurance of delivery.

RTC are in a difficult place but their response is not good enough.

andalfi1, Robbo, free2grice and 2 others like this.
  3. 1020 Shireman

1020 Shireman Part of the furniture Friend

Relaxingly retired
    Plus hopefully 60103 after Monday's test run, if it's available of course.

4. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

No I do not currently volunteer
    mind you a tour from KC to York with 60163, a day sightseeing in York, then 60103 York to Edinburgh again day sightseeing 46100 on a tour of the highlands, back to Edinburgh, or Glasgow, following day, 60103 Back to York, then again a day off, 60163 back to London, there that's 8 days with time in interesting places ok not as wide spread as GB9, but should be do -able if DBS has the crews who know the road.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  5. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

I think the NRM already have a very full programme for 60103. I can't see her being made available to duputise for vac-only or non-DBS locos until after the summer Waverley tours, if at all.

6. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

Let's not write off RTC just yet. @RayMason posted in another thread that there are a lot of negotiations going on at the moment and that a statement of some sort should be made soon. Given what happened last year, I agree that something a bit more concrete is required this time, which potential customers can have some confidence in. There are several possible ways this may go, from a quick return of WCRC under a new management structure to the emergence of a new "heritage TOC", but we can't expect instant responses from those involved.

7. mike1522

mike1522 Long Time Member Friend

Lizzie I believe has done DBS work as well. 2011, 2012, but I wonder if that would still be the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

In theory many loco's can work for DBS, ths sticking point is does DBS have enough spare steam qualified drivers for them all, even if it is looking to step up it's share of the market, you can't go from a minority to running almost everything overnight.

DBS and other FOC's are having a rough enough time anyway with the backside falling out the coal and steel traffic, only Intermodal work looking remotely secure currently and job losses all round, bit bleak on the freight front.

9. sycamore

sycamore Member

Guard & Signalman (E&BAR) / Driver (HVMR)
    Embsay or Bolton Abbey, sometimes in between...
    Do we know how many steam locos are on the DBS books? Didn't think there were that many...

10. AMP

AMP Member

Not many! That are operational definately 60163 and I would think both 60103 and 46100.

60009, 70000, 5029 and 34046 also have been over the last couple of years but I'm sure on their respective status. Finally 35028 once overhauled

Andrew

sycamore likes this.
  11. markjkirby

markjkirby Member

not forgetting about fireman as well as drivers???

12. RayMason

RayMason Member

Company secretary. Finance director
    I cannot say too much but it's "likely" that loco owners may now register their loco(s) with DB when they haven't previously.
    The phones are red hot. As I posted earlier I am hoping /expecting that a large no of tours WILL run but rather less than was expected. The issues are not just crewing but route knowledge/carriage availability/diff rules( ie lack of double heading)
    ND like any other tour promotor and loco owner needing revenue from the mainline are "straining every sinew"
    There have been some (to me) surprising contacts and v interesting possibilities emerging.

It is not appropriate for me to say any more but please try to be optimistic......it helps everyone's spirits at this incredibly difficult time . Try to remember the many many people suddenly without work who need the income ........

13. 1020 Shireman

1020 Shireman Part of the furniture Friend

Relaxingly retired
    Is there a realistic chance of the 27th Feb WCME running steam hauled Ray? We've still not heard anything from RTC either way.

14. gricerdon

gricerdon Guest

Nice to have an optimistic view

Don

15. banana patch

banana patch Member

Maybe

16. banana patch

banana patch Member

Tornado on some of the west Somerset and Dorset coast express?

17. Oswald T Wistle

Oswald T Wistle Well-Known Member Friend

ESI Eng Manager (Retd)
    Thanks for the info, fingers crossed and let's hope for the best. Wanting to watch or ride behind mainline steam pales into insignificance when you think of the many individuals whose livelihoods are being, or may be, affected. I'm booked on 4 upcoming(?) tours, starting with this Saturday's WCME - still heard nothing from RTC (this tour may be too short notice to survive, but who knows?). I'm really hoping that The Midday Scot runs (3 of us on this) and this appears to be a tour DBS might be able to operate.

I wish WCRC every success in meeting ORR's requirements, let's have them back ASAP; mainline steam will be more plentiful with them than without them. As for your call for people to be optimistic; I'm afraid that is a step too far for many members of this Forum who like nothing better than a good moan. Mind you, moaning is not what it was back in the 50s, when people had something to moan about. Speaking of optimism, Fragile Scot(sman), Thursday? - just a jest, I hope everything goes well not just for everyone involved in the restoration, organising and on the trip but woe betide you, the Press do not tolerate failure.

JohnMc and andalfi1 like this.
  18. gwr4090

gwr4090 Part of the furniture

Scientist (Rtd)
    Not forgetting 46100 and 34046 both of which have air brakes and are likely to be down south.

banana patch likes this.
  19. Oswald T Wistle

Oswald T Wistle Well-Known Member Friend

ESI Eng Manager (Retd)
    E-mail just received from RTC.

URGENT - WINTER CUMBRIAN MOUNTAIN EXPRESS CANCELLED 27TH FEBRUARY

Despite our best efforts following the temporary suspension placed on West Coast Railways by the ORR (Office of Road and Rail) last week,we have been unable to source an alternative operator to run the tour for us this week at such short notice, therefore we have no option but to cancel Saturdays Winter Cumbrian Mountain Express train.

We are working tirelessly in conjunction with another operator in order to be able to secure the operation of our later Cumbrian Mountain Expresses on 12th March and 2nd April.

West Coast Railways and their legal team are currently in discussions with the ORR in an attempt to get the decision overturned.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the undoubted disappointment and any inconvenience this cancellation, which is outside of our control, may cause.

Please contact the office on 01553 661500 to let us know what you would like to do with your booking. Please bear in mind that at this very difficult time our phone lines are likely to be busy and your patience with regards to this is appreciated.

We will also send you this cancellation by post today.

Kind regards

The Railway Touring Company

20. Dobbs0054

Dobbs0054 Member

Fair comment from RTC. Better communication compared with last year and an indication that they are working hard to find alternative providers whilst being supportive of WCRC.