If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Railway 'Expert' - I think not !

Discussion in 'Heritage Railway' started by Thompson1706, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Thompson1706

Thompson1706 Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    In the new issue (156) page 31, in the article about Met Railway coach, Christian Wolmar states that the London underground system was the only one ever to be operated by steam locos. Sorry Mr Wolmar , but I think if you bothered to do your research you would find that the Mersey Tunnel Railway was steam operated from 1886 until 1903. The coaches were pretty similar to the Met ones, but the locos were more powerful.

Bob.

p.s. If any t.v. companies would like me to appear, to make comments on the obvious while paying me loads of dosh, I could be available -and I will have my facts correctly researched !

2. guard_jamie

guard_jamie Part of the furniture

Signalman
    Wolmar has become the media's go to guy when it comes to a comment or two about railways. I have a couple of his books and have always found them to be well researched and exceptionally readable, I think we can forgive him the odd mistake. After all, O.S. Nock, Hamilton Ellis et al all made the odd gaff!

3. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Surprising omission considering that at least two Mersey Railway locos still exist - though neither is as well cared for as the surviving Metropolitan Railway ones