If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Question re SWT's 3417

Discussion in 'Diesel & Electric Traction' started by Woof, May 12, 2008.

1. Lewisb06

Lewisb06 Member

Work for Big railway
    She wont be only there to be stored.....

Am sure Mr.Knight has ideas....... :-#

2. secr1084

secr1084 New Member

A good day for all concerned, good sense has prevailed, I wonder how much of it was due to the bad press the railway has gained from a number of sources (including this one!)

It is interesting about the free track work, according to a Bluebell PW volunteer the Bluebell paid for and did most of the work on the new track work. I wonder what they have really got for nothing.

3. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    All very confusing. I'm sure the offer from Knight's Rail must have been made well in advance of the unit arriving at EG so is this yet another case of Bluebell management keeping the members in the dark?

Edit : On the Bluebell yahoo group it is claimed the offer of storage at Eastleigh was made on Saturday. NR must have been quick in finding a path. Pity they aren't as flexible when dealing with rail tours.

4. tom92240

tom92240 Part of the furniture

Lazy
    The unit arrived at EG for the handing over ceremony and to make a point that the railway (albeit only part) is now mainline connected and gave the opportunity for an event to be held in the compound at little cost to the Bluebell. Why hold the whole thing at Eastleigh, it wouldn't have the same effect other than just being a small affair that only a few people would have been able to turn up to.

5. gavin

gavin New Member

Bruce Knights was a guest on Saturday. Having seen the site, he contacted us on Sunday and made an offer of undercover storage at Eastleigh. The Society Committee was consulted this week and a decision made to accept his offer.

Gavin

6. stepney60

stepney60 Nat Pres stalwart

Built into the NR timetables for the routes concerned there are paths left free for movement of stock to / from Eastleigh Works I believe, so presumably it just went straight into one of them?

7. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Point taken but I thought Southern stock went to Selhurst for maintenance rather than Eastleigh. If so why the spare paths to Eastleigh?

8. Tracklayer

Tracklayer Resident of Nat Pres

Employed
    There is normally free capacity in the timetable. It could be required at short notice for any number of reasons and providing that the operator can be flexible with routes, timings and pathing stops moves can generally take place. Remember there are other constraints on train planning too such as crew availability.

I believe DBS request at least 16 weeks for passenger charter trains, but it is not unknown for late bookings to take place particularly for sporting events. An additional charge may be made by the operator and any other parties such as station operators.

9. Dan Bennett

Dan Bennett Member

South Western Railway Fitter
  10. John Elliot Jnr

John Elliot Jnr Well-Known Member

Museum curator
    Just out of interest, would the change of ownership have caused any paperwork issues with hauling the unit on the main line?

11. tamper

tamper Member

retired
    Keelar wrote
    Very true, however they do need to be kept constantly on thier toes and moaned at to get somethings done.

There has been a great deal of behind the scene activity about this move for the last 6 weeks or so, not always with either hand knowing what the other is up to but with the safe interest and well being of 3417 being paramount.

No one* is more delighted with this outcome than me.

* The biscuit cruncher excepted. =D>

12. stepney60

I believe they also have them to Sellhurst and Chart Leacon at Ashford, just something I remember hearing about when they were moving the GatEx units to / from Eastleigh when they were being refurbished a year or so back.

13. Lewisb06

Lewisb06 Member

Work for Big railway
    I think you will find that he has been having alot of discussion with the BB BEFORE this last weekend

14. cct man

cct man Part of the furniture

CONSTRUCTION
    Having seen the denials on other websites, I am inclined to agree with you there.

Decisions and movements do not happen that quick on the big Railway despite some peoply having influence.

It does not take rocket science to work that one out.Why oh why can,t these people be honest with us?.

Regards
    Chris Willis

15. twr12

twr12 Well-Known Member

If the deal between Knights Rail and Bluebell had not been kept confidential, the waffle, froth, conjecture, accusations and back-stabbing that would have occured with the deal made public: would have scuppered it.
    And the object of all the frothing would have remained at the mercy of vandals.
    Apparently, its whereabouts at EG was being publicised on "Tagger" websites.

16. ianh

ianh Member

Farmer -
    Excellent outcome for 3417, the Bluebell and Eastleigh.

I think a cheque for 34 pounds and 17 pence towards the bluebells extension is in order..

if every body who showed concern did the same i think the message would be recieved at Bluebell HQ.

3417 will now be an ambassador for the Bluebell at events in 09 and hopefully will be involved in the first train over the Mainline connection and back to Sheffield park in the not to distant future.

IanH

normally FerroEquines attract my interest.

17. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

And entirely co-incidentally I'm sure, but according to Blue News, that's almost exactly what it costs to remove 1 ton of spoil, give or take 17 pence :)

To this entirely uncynical Bluebell member,who also remembers journeys on 4VEPs from Waterloo to Reading in childhood, it looks like a good deal all round - good for the Bluebell and good for the long-term future of the unit.

Tom

18. 34007

34007 Part of the furniture

I can't see how the Bluebell own 3417 Chris? But when she does turn up for the mainline connection etc to the Bluebell I might have to keep an eye out for this one in the future...

19. stepney60

Bluebell gave SWT £1. SWT gave Bluebell 3417. Looks like a straightforward financial transaction to me? :-k

20. stepney60