If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Question re SWT's 3417

Discussion in 'Diesel & Electric Traction' started by Woof, May 12, 2008.

1. secr1084

secr1084 New Member

Whether the Bluebell management aren't idiots, could be described as being up for debate. I agree they will want to look after the VEP, but remember the only reason it is going to East Grinstead is to get some track on the cheap, with perhaps signaling for a mainline link. Once it is there it will be another burden that needs looking after, a quick look at the Stations / Carriages / loco crisis etc. show that there is not enough money or effort to look after what they have let alone the VEP!

If the chaps from Wimbledon are going to help look after it (or better, take on all the work involved) It has a chance, I can't see Notwork Rail doing much in the way of track / signaling, so wonder if it can go for the odd run. I know the management at the Bluebell think they are getting a first rate bit of infrastructure free from Notwork Rail, but I cannot see them doing any signaling work at Oxsted panel, or putting in any point motors etc.

When the Chesham (metropolitan set) carriages went up to Steam on the Met, in 2000. The Bluebell asked for volunteers to look after them, on the journey to and from Ruislip Gardens depot, to Rickmansworth. When they were left over night at Ricky a volunteer spent the night with them (me!) We also had the LU security guards, CCTV, and this in a well lit area, with the carriages in a platform road.

I can't see how a fence, can protect the VEP. I can't see money being found for CCTV, and 24hr security patrols, how can you really secure the woodland area and embankment on the West side? The Vintage bus that ran to Kingscote has been shot at, how will the side lights (windows)of the VEP be protected?

It will become a big target for all the Taggers in that area, as the new East London stock found when it was parked their with 24hr security guards!

I just hope that it will not suffer to much at East Grinstead, and that it won't have to stay very long! A very large amount of money, in very difficult times, needs to be found to complete the extension, will the VEP last that long?

2. Keelar001

Keelar001 Member

Railway work of a needful and demanding nature.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    7717, I believe; when the whole "painting it blue" scheme came along she was the most recent recipient of a C4 and thus had the most mileage available.

3. sigsnguard

sigsnguard Member

4. Keelar001

Keelar001 Member

5. sigsnguard

sigsnguard Member

Interesting... Changes from class 5 (ECS) to class 1 (passenger) at Woking - are you expecting guests??

6. Keelar001

Keelar001 Member

Interesting point - not a clue...

7. Lewisb06

Lewisb06 Member

Work for Big railway
    Why do you thinks its going via Woking :-#

8. Dan Hamblin

Dan Hamblin Part of the furniture

Rolling Stock Engineer
    *sigh* I will never understand the mentality of people who want to do this. We had a bloke in my year at secondary school who was a 'tagger'. He even gave a talk about what he did during an English lesson!

I wonder, can clear plastic tarpaulins be purchased? I would provide an easier to clean surface whilst allowing the VEP to at least be partially seen.

Regards,

Dan

9. stepney60

stepney60 Nat Pres stalwart

I don't think this has been posted before, the full details of the EG "station" open day on Saturday 17th January, including the official handover of the VEP

10. premier rock

premier rock New Member

Harking back to an early post in this topic...

"... if we're honest, is less likely to become a target for the scrotes of East Grinstead than something altogether more precious like the Adams Tank or H class."

So an Adams Tank or an H class [whatever they are] are more important than a vep are they?
    As someone who cares about EMUs, this says it all for me.

11. Dan Hamblin

Dan Hamblin Part of the furniture

Rolling Stock Engineer
    Re:

There are however only one each of the Adams Tank and H Class locomotives preserved. There are two complete 4-VEPs in preservation plus I believe a few separate vehicles? Not ideal I know, but it gives you an idea as to why the comparison was made.

Regards,

Dan

12. stepney60

stepney60 Nat Pres stalwart

Re:

I wouldn't say they are more or less important, the difference is a VEP is not as unusual as an H class or the Adams Tank and as such is, theoretically, less likely to be a target I would imagine. Of course I'm not sure that's what the original poster meant, but it is certainly my take on it.

13. cct man

cct man Part of the furniture

CONSTRUCTION
    Re:

Says Mr Blackfriars in his first post.

Regards
    Chris Willis

14. James

James Part of the furniture

Re: Re:

Mr Roberts, actually. A name that has a certain notoriety in EMU-preservation circles.

15. Keelar001

Keelar001 Member

I sense a drift in topic - let's try to keep the sniping to a minimum or at least conduct it via PM, shall we?

16. desperado

desperado Member

Does anyone have any more details about exactly which track the Bluebell are getting from NR as part of this and what if any of that exists so far?

17. Keelar001

Keelar001 Member

I've not seen anything, although I believe that the new station won't have much room to play with.

18. tom92240

tom92240 Part of the furniture

Lazy
    Cant say which and how much, just that whatever track we have got should be installed to some degree by tomorrow evening.

19. tom92240

tom92240 Part of the furniture

Lazy
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Photos by Phil Jemmison

20. Buckeye

Buckeye New Member

With it being a class 5 to Woking and a class 1 from Woking - not got anything to do with the fact that its named Gordon Pettit, and that said person lives near Woking has it? Perhaps he's giving himself, as it were, to the Bluebell. Just a thought . . . .