If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Purbeck Mineral and Mining Museum

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by tobes3803, Jan 7, 2013.

1. bishdunster

bishdunster New Member

I can remember it running in about 1970ish, crossing the A351, it had 4 straight through exhaust pipes then, and what a lovely sound it was too, i seem to recall that the top exhaust pipes were either brass or copper at that time. Myself and a couple of friends used to go over to Norden and other mining sites in the Purbecks a lot at that time and had an officially organised tour of one of the underground adit mines at norden and several unofficial visits to other sites, including Greenspecks, Cotness and other mines but the most amazing was Povington, which was abandoned at least 10 years prior to us visiting it, as it was within the military ranges! Absolutely amazing place, with wooden framed N.G. surface rolling stock with trees growing through them, unguarded vertical shafts with rickety wooden ladders and our non safety rated torches, no H&S for us in those days, our main concern was not being bitten by the multitude of adders we came across, ah such innocence of youth !!!!!

ragl and Daddsie71b like this.
  2. Daddsie71b

Daddsie71b Member Friend

I can feel a pamphlet or short story winging its way from Dunster

3. bishdunster

bishdunster New Member

Perhaps i should scribe a few notes before starting on the epic "What will I tell them at the Yacht Club", a collection of tales from the pioneering days of various unnamed, preserved railways and other such "interesting" stories !:eek:.

4. Daddsie71b

Daddsie71b Member Friend

Touche

5. biggles200

biggles200 New Member

retired and holding on
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Povington is one of the places that the Mining museum has no photos of. I guess being on military land cameras would have been a no no, but any information, you care to write down, would be of interest to the museum. You can contact them via their website. (they may take a while to reply due to a complete shutdown due to the virus) Chris Legg's book "The Furzebrook Railway" only mentions Povington once on page 20 when he says "Povington became and remained an important mining area to the Pikes. In the 1930's the Furzebrook railway extended westwards to the mines, and clay is still being extracted open-cast today"

6. biggles200

biggles200 New Member

retired and holding on
    It looks like the website has problems. I think covid 19 has got to it. Rolling Screens and contact pages not working etc. Hopefully they will get things working again as soon as Covid 19 goes

7. DcB

DcB New Member

Guess the museum could now partially reopen for outdoors only? Maybe with one of the diesel locos on static display.
    The inside might need a few more measures in place?.

8. biggles200

biggles200 New Member

retired and holding on
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  9. biggles200

biggles200 New Member

retired and holding on