If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Pullman Diesel Loco 73101.

Discussion in 'Diesel & Electric Traction' started by aperture, Jan 9, 2011.

1. aperture

aperture Member

Professional Photographer
    A recent purchased history of the Orient Express on DVD shows,Class 73 PULLMAN leaving London's Victoria Station with the rake of VSOE off to Folkestone.Circa 2000.But might be wrong.
    The question I put is,I know this loco is based on the Avon preservation line,but at what stage did VSOE not require this loco anymore.
    The whole set up looks perfect to the eye,right carriages,right loco...but what happened in between.

Anyone with an explanation,please.Looks like a divorced couple living apart.What caused the breakup?.

2. 22A

22A Well-Known Member

Administrator
    I don't know for sure, but perhaps VSOE stopped using it when expensive repairs were required for the loco that was nearing the end of it's regular main line life? Not long before withdrawal and selling to the AVR, I saw 73101 at Hither Green and it was in a shabby state paint wise.

3. aperture

aperture Member

Thanks 22A.
    I noticed the paintwork on the website of the AVR.
    Im surprised VSOE hasn't had another diesel painted to match the coaches,but then politics creep in I suppose.Lovely in theory,in practice it all falls apart.

4. D7076

D7076 Well-Known Member

The loco was owned by EWS not VSOE.
    When EWS decided that 73s were non standard they were withdrawn and the majority preserved.
    EWS then used 67s on the VSOE as they still do.

5. aperture

aperture Member

I phrased that wrong 07076 of course-I know VSOE doesn't own loco's.But it would have been nice to have seen a loco 'up front' like 73101 in the markings of a Pullman.
    We know in this modern world this is NEVER going to happen.As they say,all good things come to an end...
    It does explain why 101 will never hit the track out of Victoria station again.
    Thus,I appreciate that...

6. Stuart666

Stuart666 New Member

I noticed on the recent David Suchet programme on the Orient Express that he was told 'we used to use steam locomotives, but we are not allowed to do that now'. What exactly is the reason why they cant be used? I think Flying Scotsman had this contract for a while didnt it?

7. aperture

aperture Member

I think you will find Stuart666 like a lot of media programmes sometimes the researchers are rather wet behind the ears.In this case facts went out of the window...
    VSOE tours(certain parts of Southern England) are still run with STEAM,or you have a choice,at 100 pounds less,going by diesel.
    If you want to go,via Folkestone,like in the film,to catch the Orient Express abroad,then you leave Victoria Station pulled by DIESEL,cross the channel (via tunnel)by coach,and rejoin the train in France.

True,the FLYING SCOTSMAN once had the contract to pull the VSOE,after that CLAN LINE took over.

8. laplace

laplace New Member

The original Orient Express never did that, only the Night Ferry (London-Paris/Brussels) and some freight. ("Boat train" denotes a train run to connect with a ship, not necessarily one physically loaded onto it.) I don't know if the VSOE (or any charter) ever did so, but if any did it would have to be UK stock to fit in the loading gauge.

9. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I don't think the original Orient Express actually ran from London - the famous Agatha Christie novel was originally published in the US as "Murder in the Calais Caoch" and I believe this was the nearest vehicles conveyed on the train would have got to the UK. The core route was Paris to Instanbul.

The VSOE has always run from Victoria - I suspect as a convenient point for transatlantic passengers to join the train.

Steven

10. Steve from GWR

Steve from GWR Well-Known Member

11. Stuart666

Stuart666 New Member

I think the chap who said this was a spokesman for Venice Simplon, which is the only reason I gave it credence. I think that must have been what they refering to, the departure from Victoria. Why exactly is that, I thought the departures from Victoria used to be Steam hauled as well?

12. Inspector Biffo

Inspector Biffo New Member

Driver
    73101 was loaned to the Severn Valley Railway following the 2007 floods to help with reconstruction work. It arrived with its Pullman livery in a rather poor state and part of the deal regarding its use was for it to be repainted in the same style which the SVR undertook at Kidderminster carriage works prior to its return to the AVR. As it happened the loco saw very little use but was a participant in the mini diesel gala that was held at that time.

13. tamper

tamper Member

retired
    A 73 has been used on the VSOE even after EWS sold all theirs off.

Twice in one week.

Attached Files:

14. aperture

aperture Member

After doing my research LAPLACE,what I saw standing at Victoria Station 60-years ago was the NIGHT FERRY with it's very distinctive French looking coaches and colour/markings of the Compagnie Internationale des Wagons-Lits.Introduced in 1936,stopped during the war,and reintroduced back in 1947,and finished running in 1980.
    Running from London to Dover,then Dunkirk to Paris.
    And yes,loaded onto the ferry in specially designed locks on both shores.Run nightly in both directions leaving Victoria at 9pm.Split into sections when loading on board.
    Early days run by SNCF & Southern Railway.
    As mentioned before,it had it's own platforms at Victoria shared with the Golden Arrow.Taxi cabs went straight through the Arch onto the platform running down the middle of the station.This can be seen in the film THE LADY VANISHES.

When this platform was done away with they then used Platform 2.Only the Arch remains today.

Luckily still being alive I can remember and saw the age of steam first hand,and how the original stations looked.

15. lynbarn

lynbarn Well-Known Member

Working in the NHS as a Maintenance Electrician
    The question was asked why is steam not used on these trains, the answer is quite simple most of the steam drivers have now retired and there are very few who have a mainline ticket and as I understand it one or two of the mainline company have been asking there train crews if any of them want to play with the kettles, but there does not appear to be an appetite for it.

Regards

Colin Rainsbury

16. Live Steam

Live Steam Well-Known Member

Operations Manager
    Sorry Colin, ill think you'll find quite the opposite happens. 22 vose tours a year are steam hauled with crews provided by dbs. New crews are slowly starting to appear with the likes of Paul majors (recently passed out fireman based at hither green) and I can think of few southern drivers who are old enough to have driven steam back in the day. With the steam dreams contract recently going to dbs this can only be a good thing for steam. That and I believe, contrary to belief, that dbs do make a healthy profit out of steam.

17. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    Returning to the topic of 73.101, the locomotive will shortly leave the Avon Valley Railway. <BJ>