If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

PS Ryde

Discussion in 'Everything Else Heritage' started by WB2624, Apr 29, 2009.

1. noelist

noelist Member

LGV C+E(FormerlyHGVClass1) Driver
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    well I've no objection to a replica, how many steam engines have all their components that they were built with.
    is Tornado a replica or a new build, and whats the difference?

2. Maunsell man

Maunsell man Well-Known Member

Senior Finance Auditor
    Don't think anyone objects to a replica but it is finding the pound notes to build / rebuild it in the first place. its all well and good having big ideas but if you don't have the big wallet to match it just becomes a load of hot air. There comes a time or point in the viability of a project where it just becomes unviable either in engineering or commercial terms. I would hazard an educated guess that PS Ryde went beyond that point on both counts a long time ago. Its no more than a ghost now.

3. stan the man

stan the man Member

It may be a ghost but there is still plenty left of her worth saving.

As mentioned on earlier postings there are other steamers (and in the case of City of Adelaide sailing ships) that need to be saved but this is about PS Ryde, can we really just let her go? Surely its worth having a final go at saving her even if it is in a disassembled state until such times that something can be made of her.

I cant belive how so folk on these pages just give up. Look at whats happening at Medway Queen, she faced an uncertain future until a year or two back, and yes maybe she is a replica but at least we have something we can enjoy and hopefully sail on.

How can other poepels attitudes change if we the "ship lovers" give up hope?

Come on, lets throw our support towards the old girl and help to save her.

Jim S

4. Maunsell man

Senior Finance Auditor
    I certainly don't wish the project ill and would gladly like to see her paddling round again with happy punters on deck but I just don't think its a realistic propersition particlarly with the Medway Queen trying to attract support and finance. Is there room for Ryde and where will the money come from? It took 19 years for Tornado to raise £3 million and they were business like and well organised. How much would Ryde cost to repair? I shudder to think. Costs involved in this project are enourmous in comparision to railway projects.

5. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

It pains me to say it because i've seen her on the banks of the medina all my life, hoping that she might get saved, but at the end of the day you have to be realistic and accept that she's too far gone.

Seeing the photos of her current state it is clear for all to see that there just isnt much left thats salvageable - if people want to attempt a replica then great, but i dont think thats affordable without a very rich benefactor or substantial grants, neither of which seem terribly likely.

Chris

6. Guest

Guest Part of the furniture Account Suspended

Occasional
    She cannot be got out without major mud shifting - vast expense, marine environmental impact statements etc etc

She can't be floated out - she is too far gone - known fact

Getting a pontoon in to shift a wreck just isn't justifiable economically having regard toi the fact that no-one would accommodate her once out, except by her remaining on a pontoon - and how much would that cost?

Then there is the environmental problem of leads, asbestos etc - think back to the Southsea.

She is so decayed at the point where sea meets air that she would probably break up now if any stress were applied to the hull

So - spend millions and what have you got - the biggest basket case in marine preservation.

Sorry Stan - she has been crawled over by real experts who have wrung their hands and said - "let her go"

Its a damned shame - but its over

7. stan the man

stan the man Member

How very sad.

No doubt Manxman will sit and rot until hse is also too far gone to save, then perhaps in 20 years time we will all be saying why didnt we save them.

As for replicas, one of the most visited preserved ships (the Cutty sark) is just a replica or soon will be so perhaps there is a future for a rebuilt Ryde (albeit on a new hull).

Its amazing when you think we are a nation of ship lovers but yet there are historic ships being destroyed left right and centre.

Jim S

8. Enterprise

Enterprise Part of the furniture

Seems to have always been like this. It was a pity that during the slaughter of the railway turbine ferries that took place in the 70s more wasn't done. I remember Normannia, Lord Warden and others laid up in Newhaven. One of those would have been good to see preserved, perhaps best of all would have been the Brighton. However, if the money is not there, there isn't much that can be done. I think it is a little strange that millions are spent keeping a Vulcan flying but ships are unsupported to the same extent.

Cheers
    Alan

9. stan the man

stan the man Member

Lord warden, what a absolutely stunning ship and now alas sadly history.

Lets hope the Manxman and any other steamers out there are saved.

Without intervention by those who sit back and do nothing there will soon be nothing.

Jim s

10. Maunsell man

Senior Finance Auditor
    I don't think its a case of looking at those who sit back and do nothing its more a case of everyone is busy with their own projects and lives. If everyones favourite ship / car / lorry / aircraft / building etc was preserved then nothing would ever get scrapped! To restore a Barry loco costs best part of a million and to fundraise that is a tall order but an ocean going ship (even a tiddler like Ryde) is multi-millions. Without access to that kind of money and a huge support group to provide labour recording for posterity is about as good as it gets.

11. Guest

Occasional
    With the Manxman it was not lack of determination

They were blown out of the water by Peel Ports who are an arm of Peel Holdings the property development company

Peel are notorious for their avaricious ways and simply don't know what amenity and environment are.

They made it quite clear that they weren't having "that" in their version of Merseyside docklands and without their support all the other players wilted away

There are many other discussions that will need the participation of Peel, so interesting times lie ahead.

12. stan the man

stan the man Member

Sorry Maunsell Man, I meant those higher up who are employed to safe guard our heritage, we all know there is now a historic ships register which lists individual vessels bad sadly having such a list does nothing to actually safe guard these ships. We need action not p-ss and wind.

Jim S

13. GHWood

GHWood Member

I'm sure I was told once/ read somewhere that had Jim Sherwood of Sea Containers got hold of the IOMSPCo the first time a takeover/ merger was mooted (about 1980 - 1982, I think), he would have kept the Manxman and used to it carry VSOE passengers across the channel. Has anyone else heard this tale?

(Moderators - please move this to another thread if you think it's drawing things too far away from PS Ryde)

14. Guest

Occasional
    That's the same Jim Sherwood that did get his hands on the Princess Marguerite, and dragged it off to Singapore, where, after years of lay up and unfulfilled plans it was scrapped on the beaches of India.

No sentiment there either

15. Guest

Occasional
    This poor old paddler has finally reached the end of the road

Demolition is finally underway - shame - but inevitable, given her dangerous condition

16. williamfj2

williamfj2 Member

Well I have to say that this sad news comes as no surprise to me whatsoever.

17. channel

channel Member

Assistant Harbour Master
    Another railway steamer gone . . . fair play to her she held on but is well and truly past it now and has been for many years!

Lincon Castle next or is her future secure now?

18. Guest

Occasional
    The Lincoln Castle is nowhere near the condition that the Ryde was in - its the getting her out that is a problem.

She will need all her superstructure removing to get her under the fixed A180 bridge

Then a berth would have to be found - and the wherewithal to keep her in fettle thereafter - thats the problem

We are aware of her - but she will need a robust business plan before she can be attempted

19. Crewe Hall

Crewe Hall New Member

Given your interest in paddle steamers, can you remeber if there was a paddler operating the Lymington to Yarmouth IOW ferry in 1960? Youthful memory seems to recollect a journey on one and I have often wondered what it was. I also seem to remeber one calling at Bournemouth pier from time to time, and would love to know what that was. regards

20. channel

channel Member

Assistant Harbour Master
    Farringford perhaps -

http://www.pskingswearcastle.wanadoo.co.uk/Farringford09.htm