If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Project X

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by rough-shunter, Jan 1, 2009.

does anyone know much about this strange contraption it looks very much like the falk locomotive from the stateshttp://www.narrow-gauge.co.uk/gallery/show.php?image_id=3725&cat_id=920

1. ipod

ipod Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about it Jud.... it looks like a mish-mash of left over bits. New frames, traction engine boiler?? and steam crane cylinders or the likes?
    Far more interesting are the Joffre? frames to the left of the pic....

BTW is that Ted McAvoy in the photo?... I was at Gwynedd Archives just before Christmas and I come accoss some letters that implied that he had purchased Sanford and Skinner 1966.... not sure what went wrong unless of course he did actually purchase them and he aint told anyone... and could that be Skinner's boiler in the pic!! lol :-k

2. kscanes

kscanes Resident of Nat Pres

3. snowtownbob

snowtownbob New Member

Ashing out will be a problem, unless it is intended to be oil fired. Paraphrasing Professor Tuplin, steam engine designers understimated the needs for an ashpan right up to the end of steam on BR.

4. Ruston179870

Ruston179870 New Member

:(
    The Joffre frames belong to KS3014, being restored for the Moseley Railway Trust's new railway/museum at Apedale.

I think the boiler for the railcar is ex-Ravenglass, but I can't remember which loco it came from. I've been told that the body of the railcar will be made from an old tramcar that has been in Ted's yard for several years.

BTW, that isn't Ted in the photo.

I have been told that Ted was going to buy the remains of "Sanford" and/or "Skinner", but when he went to collect the locos from Penrhyn, they had already been cut up for scrap.

Regards,

Andy

5. ipod

ipod Well-Known Member

Thanks for clearing that one up Andy.... I thought it was odd because the letters to Penrhyn even mentioned collection dates etc as if it was a done deal!... What a shame! 8-[

Thanks again.