If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Poole Park Railway

Discussion in 'Miniature Railways' started by nick813, Jan 5, 2017.

1. mdewell

mdewell Member

UK & Ireland Heritage Railways Webmaster
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Then why did they bid for it? Did they not know the budget beforehand? Did the design spec change?

HerstonHalt likes this.
  2. 35B

35B Resident of Nat Pres

No I do not currently volunteer
    It wouldn’t be the first time that a firm has bid for a contract and found that their assumptions when bidding were wrong, and that they need a change of contract to make the work viable.

Now whether that is because the firm got it wrong, or because important information wasn’t available, or because something’s changed, or because the firm have chosen to bid low and then recover their margin through change control, is an open question.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Well-Known Member

Of course this would I assume as a council contract would be handled under the Public Procurement processes which are far more (according to a former colleague who went to a council impossibly) restrictive. Almost impossible I believe to not justify choosing the lowest price bid hence the last of 35B's option is the one I see as most likely.

4. 35B

35B Resident of Nat Pres

I am equally open to believing the other possibilities, nor would I rule out a combination of factors.

5. trewyn

trewyn New Member

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/18289732.poole-park-railway-project-appears-stalled/ is the latest newspaper story

https://pooleprojects.net/poole-park-railway/ has a slightly different update.

As a public body BCP Council have to publish details of any contracts over £5000. The only one published is £15952 to Track Systems UK for consultancy services - nothing has been published for the actual rebuild of the railway which suggests the contracts haven't been let.

I have seen correspondence from some of the companies who were interested in the project - there were numerous concerns over the proposed scheme (timescale, the design and even conduct of the council) which led to them walking away from tendering. I would not be surprised if the only tender was from Track Systems UK.

Kempenfelt 82e and Mogul like this.
  6. nick813

nick813 Well-Known Member Loco Owner

The Council 'borrowed' £350k with what is called a Prudential Loan....
    This has incurred interest since the day it was started. A FIO might get the date this started.....another FIO might reveal the annual rate of interest. I guess at present the Interest and loan are being paid out of general funds...BCP tax payers.
    This project was started by the previous Poole Council, taken over by the BCP council. At present BCP have about five officers looking after PPRy. A design by committee approach. The use of consultants was to give BCP residence proof of governance. The Consultants, Track Systems Uk have extended the minature gauge railway at Honeybrook Farm Wimbourne. This railway is run by Mr Bullen, former owner of PPRy. Track Systems according to their website and FB page do not appear to have done a lot of minature railway works. Worth while researching the Directors.
    I will be emailing a few FIO's to BCP over the weekend!

7. City of truro fan

City of truro fan New Member

They should have just left it stay running it was fine and a popular attraction

8. Leafent

Leafent New Member

It was a death trap - the track looked like something from the Talylyn in 1951.

M Palmer likes this.
  9. buzby2

buzby2 Member