If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Peak Rail General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by kestreleyes, Nov 22, 2009.

1. kestreleyes

kestreleyes Well-Known Member

signal engineer
    Just a very quick reminder that this weekend is our 1940s event.

2. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    WP_20160807_14_57_49_Pro.jpg a few of the 1940s event this weekend down the railway,the weather kept good and it was very busy even though we had some niggles with the steamer on sunday, many thanks to all who helped make the weekend good.

The cycleway are currently building a large gabbion wall alongside the river at warney lane brook to give them the 3 metres needed for the trail ,the dry Stone walling ad the diversion through the field to warney lane are now completes too

The lever badges for Rowsley frame now also have numbered plates which Mr Briddon has kindly made up so those will be fitted soon too

Attached Files:

3. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    Penyghent has been test started again following her overhaul at rowsley.

paullad1984 and sycamore like this.
  4. sussex scot

sussex scot New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Well done Mick, Gordon and Roy!

5. kestreleyes

signal engineer
  6. Woodster21

Woodster21 Member

Thornbury Castle appeared to be leaving Rowsley South this morning

7. petec

petec New Member

If memory serves me correctly,P.W indicated some time ago that Thornbury Castle was for sale "at the right price".
    If so I'd be curious to know who has bought it and where its gone.

8. FearOfManchester

FearOfManchester Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Go onto the 'steam traction' page on this forum and there is a thornbury castle thread, it's all there.

9. greybeard loon

greybeard loon New Member

I have been told that a Hawthorn Leslie 0-4-0 tank is sitting now in the location previously occupied by Thornbury Castle; anyone have any more details?

10. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    I've not seen it myself but someone did post elsewhere about an 040 loco being at the headshunt today,details will be forthcoming

While on I'm informed Penyghent will be on the train tommorow with the class 31, as far as known wel still be running to riverside,this is because Penyghent is still running in at present and we can run around there in event of any problems

11. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    image.jpeg Photo K Rigby, Penyghent at Rowsley after a fourteen month overhaul.

paullad1984 likes this.
  12. Woodster21

Woodster21 Member

It was there yesterday - it looked a bit faded

13. greybeard loon

greybeard loon New Member

Peak Rail website this morning shows 31270 and D8 Penyghent top and tailing into Matlock Platform 2 up to and including Thursday 25th August

14. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    upcoming for the next few weeks to note;

Sunday 28th August; incoming charter, " The Cathedrals Express", London kings Cross-Derby-Rowsley-Derby-Kings Cross,6201 London to Derby and return/ class 47/57 diesel from Derby to Rowsley and return.

http://www.railwayherald.co.uk/railtours#

SEPTEMBER
    September 3rd – The Heritage Shunters Trust Shunter Gala

Various locos from the HST collection will be in operation at Rowsley South Station providing brake van rides, with guided tours of their workshop and sheds also available. For further details visit their website www.heritageshunters.co.uk Normal timetable and normal fares. Brake van rides not included.

September 10th & 11th – Real Ale Festival

Sample a selection of real ales and ciders from local Breweries available at both Rowsley South and Darley Dale Stations. Normal timetable and normal fares.

15. D7076

D7076 Well-Known Member

3 sept hst event has been cancelled.

16. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    The 040 everyone spotted is ex Chatham,pic attached,also arrived is a bit of mobile plant which Mr Briddon has purchased,pics attached.

Didn't get much time to chat with folks as was quite busy but the HST chaps were working,I note the LMSCA gang has made a start on the MR brakevan and an ex car transport coach which are in their shed now,the carriage in Rowsley shed is now in undercoat and already looking better with all Harveys good work, and I believe the columns for Darley Footbridge have been cast but more on that later when more news is available, Andrew and myself spent today prepping the rear holes for the rowsley cabin in continuos rain and sunny spells

WP_20160820_17_42_18_Pro.jpg WP_20160820_10_52_48_Pro.jpg

I see also that Ashbrooks have started to clear the old bridge area near to their site for their extension,we've fitted the first half of the new bridge sides to the entrance bridge and the rowsley works crossing has some new wooden gates which look much better than the tired old white gates WP_20160820_17_59_04_Pro.jpg

17. Respite

Respite Member

Retired
    Still no working steam at the moment I hear, and attempts to get another steam loco not succeeding. Is there any further news on this please?

18. Woodster21

Woodster21 Member

Interesting comment on the HST website

19. Woodster21

Woodster21 Member

I don't want this to be a criticism but more of an observation, the Peak Rail website is less than informative. The Real Ale Event is on the 10th and 11th September but there is no other information apart from beers and ciders from local breweries etc. Could someone at least reference which local breweries?

It also lists the HST event as going ahead whereas the HST website indicates that this was cancelled around the 31st July

20. FearOfManchester

FearOfManchester Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Yes it is a shame, the website is fairly primitive, I think the blogging aspect is a very powerful tool to bring in interest to the railway and keep volunteers up to date, the gwsr blogging format is very informative for instance. You need someone competent and willing to run the website 24/7 though really. But at present only kestreleyes ( which we all appreciate :] ) seems to be regularly updating on goings on. With PRs future aspirations it's going to become more important to have a good online presence to draw in the crowds