If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Peak Rail General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by kestreleyes, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Woodster21

Woodster21 Member

Still no agreement in place on the Bakewell / Rowsley section

2. Woodster21

Woodster21 Member

Darley Dale Station starring an ITV drama / comedy about the creation of the Anne Summers brand image.jpeg image.jpeg

cct man likes this.
  3. Jamie Glover

Jamie Glover New Member

Civil engineer (Railway infrastructure).
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Notice to Peak Rail Gossip Group Members.

The Peak Rail Gossip Yahoo Group site was hacked over a year ago by someone who changed the password. This rendered the group site inoperative Following a large amount of experimentation a kindly friend has finally managed to reclaim the group site and get it functioning with a set of passwords in place - this time using the Irish language and not English as before.

The group site is once again open for postings by members and new members are welcome. Those members wishing anonymous postings should, as before, send same to Jamie for a re posting minus their own names and Email addresses etcetera.

Happy Easter 2016 to all.

Edited owing to spelling error.

4. Woodster21

Woodster21 Member

Is there any news regarding the former Darley Dale footbridge?

b.oldford likes this.
  5. kestreleyes

kestreleyes Well-Known Member

signal engineer
    IL ask the gents when im next down boss ,on nights at mo so no update save for the good chaps in the telecoms department who take centre stage this week with a little bit of their news as they transfer the myriad of old phones across into a single purpose built concentrator unit which Mr Greenhalgh ,Jim ,David and Pete have all put together.

The new Church Lane concentrator is physically in place, and is wired to the telecoms krone frame.
    The old black pbx phone has been removed and that phone line is now on the concentrator and is in use temporarily on another extension, but that is no longer needed for this purpose.
    Temporary power has been wired to the concentrator from the spt system which will be made more permanent next time.
    The signal post telephone system has not yet been transferred to the concentrator. The grey omnibus phone in the signal box has been taken from the wall to make space for the concentrator but remains wired exactly as it was, and is still in service.
    The box to box phone was moved to a new place on the wall to make space for the concentrator, and is still in service.

6. daveannjon

daveannjon Well-Known Member

Yes, ownership has finally been transferred from Derby Museums which opens up several grant application possibilities. The columns are due to be cast this spring.

Dave

7. Woodster21

Woodster21 Member

Good news. Didn't realise Derby Museum owned them, don't they own a loco at the MRC?

8. crantock

crantock Member

Beancounter
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Didn't realise Derby Museum still existed. Last time I visited it had been utterly gutted and become "creative space".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Woodster21

Woodster21 Member

10. marshall5

marshall5 Well-Known Member

IIRC Derby museum originally bought all 4 'jinties' - not sure about the Caprotti class 5.
    Ray.

11. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

That too, and a BR Type 2/Class 25 Diesel Loco.

12. Woodster21

Woodster21 Member

I take it that they don't leave MRC

13. mikechant

mikechant Member

Website doesn't currently show calendar/times for April. Can we assume that the service on Sat 2nd April will be the same as Sat 26th March?

14. daveannjon

daveannjon Well-Known Member

15. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    The website should have the new timetable up soon,if not already and save beat me to the blog and Dave you beat me to the link from the NRM :). Was actually at York today and overheard someone commenting on all the hard work on the carriage, so well done.. Here's another. http://lmsca.org.uk/blog/2016/04/official-launch-lms-7828/

And from mr sharp details of the latest Sheffield branch meeting on Monday 4th April.

For a requested £3 donation on the door, all welcome to:

"An evening with Ted Hancock" - digital

A trailer for Ted's imminent Hope Valley book, featuring the following aspects:-

1. Some of the railways and canals proposed, but never built

2. The building of the line

3. A trip from Grindleford to Chinley looking at the railway infrastructure

4. A detailed look at Dore & Totley station

and then, if time permits:-

5. A look at Dore & Totley station to Totley tunnel, including the triangle.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Presented by: Peak Railway Association (Sheffield Branch) at
    The Harlequin Pub (upstairs function room)
    108 Nursery St, Sheffield S3 8GG

bus routes 3, 7, 8, 8a, 83 and 83a stop near the front door.

hope to see you!
    Dave

16. mikechant

mikechant Member

Visited on Saturday, arrived at matlock on the EMT service for Nottingham at 11:25 (which was late in at 11:40ish) - I was a bit disappointed that the former 11:48 had been re-timed to 11:32 and also was not held for the late incoming EMT service, so we had an hour's wait. (I got an email response about the timetable change but it didn't arrive until after we'd left for Matlock on Saturday).

Even if the EMT service had been on time, 7 minutes is not enough for my partially disabled wife to get from P1 to P2 (it's a surprisingly long way). I assume there's some good reason for this timetable change...

I fully understand the issues Heritage railways face with a largely volunteer workforce and limited resources, but it should really be a very high priority to get a new timetable on the website at least a week in advance, it's where most people will go for this essential info these days.

Apart from that it was a pleasant day, we had half a coach pretty much to our selves, good to see Darley Dale station P2 building restoration work has born fruit since last visit a couple of years ago.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  17. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    whilst I cant comment on the how's and whys of timetable changes, I agree it is an awfully long way over the footbridge for a disabled person, again something many folks including ourselves complained about the design of the bridge, it was also proposed by others some years back to have a barrow type crossing off the platform end where trains don't normally go, would have been nice but there's no definite stop for the end of our service and it could end up standing over the crossing so the idea was never carried forward by the outside party, plus how do you police it sensibly, though there is one further down Nr`s line at Matlock Bath.

glad the rest of the day went well for you, indeed Mr Lathrope and others have worked very hard on the Darley station front of things, I was told the costing's for the tarmacking of the down side have been looked at, again I promised Ben id help him with the completion of the platform lamps too (im still on for that Ben :) which was waiting till the NRM carriage was out the way so there was time to work on the lamp project side of things.

18. FearOfManchester

FearOfManchester Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    I appreciate the effort everyone is going to to band together and get darley restored being that it's one of the few intact stations on the line (are the buildings still council owned?), i've been watching the gwsr extensions and station projects for years now, they seem to have a huge amount of volunteers always to hand so i appreciate the difficulty of a large scale heritage railway with a smaller volunteer base trying to get major projects done :). On another note I noticed in the lots of an upcoming auction at Crewe heritage centre a great longstone totem sign, just in case anyone is interested, could be a good addition to the museum :)

19. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    Il let ben know about the totem sign and our archivist as theyl be interested, as far as I know the station building is indeed owned by the council,the charity has been trying to get things sorted for years and the council seem slow to do anything even though being listed it's cost them money in the past to keep it safe,it had the chimney stack repaired nor long back by them as of course it could fall onto the platform, the members of the charity on here could better explain the position on how the buildings going,as far as I'm aware once its passes ownership then you can get grants started.

While on here's a little video to share of the cycleway slightly further up the line,unashamedly the cameramans my daughter Watch "UNLISTED Millersdale Junior Rangers" on YouTube

20. kestreleyes

signal engineer