If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Peak Rail General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by kestreleyes, Nov 22, 2009.

1. kestreleyes

kestreleyes Well-Known Member

signal engineer
    http://lmsca.org.uk/blog/2016/02/7828-let-loose/

2. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    Very short update as was a bit busy this weekend, john and myself spent the morning on Friday doing some maintenance on locks at riverside,I then headed upto rowslwy to continue some work on replacement contact boxes for Darley lever frame in place of the micro switches that have been in service for a while, Chris was busy painting up the j94 bunkers,the crew on Penyghent were busy with more restoration to get her back into service,Kev was busy working away on the msc shunter plus other folks doing other stuff,mostly avoiding the rain that came down in the afternoon from nowhere

3. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    Some pics off the nrm coach on the train at riverside from the weekend WP_20160228_11_37_01_Pro.jpg WP_20160228_11_36_28_Pro.jpg WP_20160228_11_37_09_Pro (2).jpg

b.oldford, Kje7812, rhawkins and 5 others like this.
  4. Stan loco

Stan loco New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Thats one beautiful coach restoration. Thank you for photos.

5. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    WP_20160304_12_04_40_Pro.jpg the cycleway continues through rowsley,the top stone is due to go down this coming week then work on regrading the car park follows, the old foundations of the north box will disappear under this stone so I took a pic for posterity,elsewhere the gang restoring penyghent were working on the cylinder top valves ,and the work on the dmu and the j94 continues with lots of paint work on both, myself I spent a cold wet day changing worn coach screws at Darley for bolts on the rodding run in the snow,

Attached Files:

6. daveannjon

daveannjon Well-Known Member

7828 finally made it into Matlock NR station yesterday, having previously only run to Matlock Riverside. We think it's at least 50 years since a LMS passenger carrying coach was last there, so quite a milestone!

Dave

7828-Matlock 1.jpg

7828-Matlock 2.jpg

al4466, gwalkeriow, Kje7812 and 3 others like this.
  7. jtx

jtx Well-Known Member

Happily retired
    That coach restoration is a knockout. The livery appears identical to our own 7511. (Severn Valley). This is a FO in use as a dining car. They would look stunning together. Matlock station looks lovely as well. I think the last time I was there was slightly prior to the last time an LMS coach was!

Regards,

John

8. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    WP_20160306_12_13_58_Pro.jpg and because it was mothers day I treated my wonderful other half to the palatine three course dinner in the wonderfully restored NRM coach, well done all involved WP_20160306_12_13_58_Pro.jpg WP_20160306_16_05_51_Pro.jpg WP_20160306_12_14_05_Pro.jpg WP_20160306_12_18_10_Pro.jpg WP_20160306_12_51_48_Pro.jpg WP_20160306_13_30_15_Pro.jpg WP_20160306_14_23_52_Pro.jpg WP_20160306_14_32_21_Pro.jpg WP_20160306_12_13_58_Pro.jpg WP_20160306_16_05_51_Pro.jpg WP_20160306_12_14_05_Pro.jpg WP_20160306_12_18_10_Pro.jpg WP_20160306_12_51_48_Pro.jpg WP_20160306_13_30_15_Pro.jpg WP_20160306_14_23_52_Pro.jpg WP_20160306_14_32_21_Pro.jpg

9. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    While on the cyvleway has started work between arc leisure and warney lane too now,the old scrub trees have been removed and the footpath sides of the bridge decks waterproofed,the ground is being dug down for the hardcore base to go down next, I'm told at warney lane the route has changed from the footpath to the carriage museum side to going up the field.alongside the railway to opposite the woodyard side of the bridge now.

Attached Files:

10. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    For a requested £3 donation on the door, all welcome to:

"Steam Driving in Poland, and other World Travels" - digital - Mike Fish

When Mike sold his business 14 years ago, the railway travels he had always wanted to do became a possibility. Every year he has returned to enjoy driving real main line service trains in Poland as part of the Wolstzyn Experience, and this has opened the door to other footplate experiences. An enjoyable show which will make you envious!

With a number of mini-shows on the laptop, after seeing Poland the audience can choose the other countries to be visited. First will be New Zealand, and then over to you.....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    At the interval, the 100 Club AGM. Don't blink, you will miss it.

Presented by: Peak Railway Association (Sheffield Branch) at
    The Harlequin Pub (upstairs function room)
    108 Nursery St, Sheffield S3 8GG

bus routes 3, 7, 8, 8a, 83 and 83a stop near the front door.

hope to see you!
    Dave

David Sharp
    Peak Railway Association, Sheffield Branch

(E): d.sharp@sheffield.ac.uk

The branch programme, and directions
    to The Harlequin, can be found at:

http://www.peakrail.co.uk/SheffieldBranch

11. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Not sure what you do but whenever you post pictures they always seem to appear twice!

12. daveannjon

daveannjon Well-Known Member

Thanks John, yes the same LMS full early livery, not one you'd want to do very often!

Dave

13. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    It's annoying and it's due to my rather cr&@py windows phone which has a lag in working longer than the event horizon of a black hole hence when I press make all full screen pics it's already made them so and redoubles them all again

Cue the month python sketches

oddsocks likes this.
  14. ilvaporista

ilvaporista Part of the furniture

C.Eng
    I wasn't hungry until I saw the pictures.. What I would give for a proper roast.... The restoration looks great, compliments to all involved.

15. Woodster21

Woodster21 Member

I think that was the original plan to go into to the field

16. Woodster21

Woodster21 Member

I actually rode part of the new cycle track, there isn't much room at Rowsely to get the track and associated clearances in - to my untrained eye you would struggle to get a run round loop in and it may need some work on the embankment facing the river

17. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    It was meant to go into the field on the a6 side but has changed to the other side due to "mother nature issues" eg local wildlife in the vicinity, as I recall the bit at rowsley was very tight,the cycle way planned for us to have our runaround loop well back from the old station area which we didn't like,as it'd be nowhere near the old stations at all, in all likelihood you would want someone to do a proper analysis of the bankings at rowsley anyway before you decide to build a heavy railway on the edge of a bit of steep bank leading into a major watercourse that's not supported a rail line in fifty years just to be safe,so I dare say some structural assessments of the banking have been in hand either from the cycle way or our side,knowing what was needed to be laid where on the plan between cycle way and PR, there's always the thought that most of the land approaching rowsley is much waterlogged and part of a nature site because of that,so you don't want to upset the newts but also don't want to see you're track bed waterlogged on the left side whilst slipping away to the river on the right,these things have been considered by many Great minds in the past ,I remember mick,Tim,rob and others commenting on them over various years in various conversations, having spotted banking slips and water creeping it's way through track formations at other railways up and down the country it's something to be very aware off when carefully planning drains,the infrastructure and where you lay you're track as altering the formation ,even by drying it out when you open the drains and relay the formation back down can seriously affect the banking structure, one example I spotted was the rodding at one line elsewhere sinking next to a watercourse,after a bit of woodland foraging we spotted a Spring one foot above the river level below and about twenty metres away from where the sinking was,the worry being the river above has found it's way into the formation and is slowly attacking the banking,that's being closely monitored by that railway now so constant vigilance pays off

northernsteam likes this.
  18. northernsteam

northernsteam Member

Used to be in civil engineering, highway bridges.
    You are so right. I think all our rail maintenance teams, NR and Heritage, and all our highway maintenance teams, HA and Local Authority, have now realized the importance of this. Especially when you consider that quite a few miles of track, and even some highway, have been laid across marsh land using nothing more than bumbles of brushwood tied together, over a century ago. Good drainage maintenance and watercourse management is vital.

Thanks for your excellent bulletins and best wishes with the work to reopen this long awaited line.

19. Woodster21

Woodster21 Member

I was meaning the Cycleway going through the Cartledge (the big field on Warney Road / Woodyard) and re-appearing at the southern end of Red House Cutting

20. Peter Hall

Peter Hall Guest

Could I ask when the remainder of the Waterman Heritage Trust collection of locomotives and rolling stock is expected to arrive from Crewe? Some months now since the last arrival.