If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Peak Rail General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by kestreleyes, Nov 22, 2009.

1. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Possibly, though there is also a thread on the subject on WNXX.

2. kestreleyes

kestreleyes Well-Known Member

signal engineer
    The carpark I believe is due to be tarmacced by the contractors doing the cycle way,but there'd be no point doing that before they've finished the fencing,the bund work etc, were hoping towards the next month assuming they're side goes well ,no more monsoons etc. the bridge repaint would depend on the cycle way again as they were due to go over that, slur our track formation etc, again that's all in their ball court,it's coming upto the end of a financial year and suddenly there's loads of contractors about building the cycle way,where a few months back it was a more laid back affair,so that's a question best asked of the contractors more so, as to what the plan is for the cycle way from Darley through to riverside, the shed extension is something again between the owner of the large amount of workshop beams & extension bits for building the shed which is stockpiled around the site at rowsley and the board, noting that the purpose of the extension is not necessarily primarily for pr benefit but more for the contract work on their contract stock,so funding would be upto the gentleman concerned more than PR, in the background things haven't stayed still though but again that's business for the higher levels of a railways operation and I'm sure when ready both parties will make their respective announcements when they're ready.

Hope that helps somewhat

3. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    It's also been pointed out that the new permanent toilet block in the carpark that was in the way off the cycle way needs to be built too and service pipes ran for that before the tarmaccing,so in all part of a bigger plan that is waiting on others too.

4. FearOfManchester

FearOfManchester Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    I'm really rather shocked/pleased with the work that's going on, it seems the white peak loop felt like something that was never going to happen due to funding and the sheer ambition of it, it was in limbo for quite a few years and I'm glad the various councils are showing this level of enthusiasm, this regeneration is opening a lot of possibilities for PR and it's only a good thing. I'm staying cautious until the various phases are all through planning and physically completed as the funding for maintenance for the current part of the Monsal trail is looking shaky, as Brian blessed is informing us ;) the progress is looking good so far though!

5. Jamie Glover

Jamie Glover New Member

Civil engineer (Railway infrastructure).
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    You are correct! Some very acid comments provided on WNXX - including one by myself.

Jamie.

6. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    Indeed it does seem slow progress on the cycle way ,though now it seems it's rapidly making progress possibly due to the end of financial year coming up and money's having to be spent,it's similar on other things countrywide I note at present too, there's no visible progress on the section from church lane to Matlock,to be honest if everything had followed the plans the county had put on the net a long time back the haddon section should have been done long before the rowsley and Darley bit,in reality it's the church lane to rowsley bit done first,now the bit through the forest (Old sidings) and were still waiting on the Darley to Matlock and haddon to rowsley section to start, still any things good news and it will be completed soon hopefully, I remember riding the bit between millers dale and bakewell long before the tunnels reopened and it was overgrown as only walkers would bother climbing and descending all the time,who'd have thought it would be as popular as it is now, tourists great and the area certainly needs to maximise that potential for the local businesses

7. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    The next meeting of the Derwent Valley branch will be on Tuesday 23rd February where Glynn Waite of the Rowsley Association will talk about the Matlock Tramway. This ran from Crown Square to the Smedleys and Rockside Hotels up Matlock Bank. It was open from 1893 to 1927. Glynn’s talk gives a very comprehensive coverage of its history. The talk will start at 7.30pm and will take place at the

Duke William
    91 Church Street
    Matlock
    DE4 3BY

8. Woodster21

Woodster21 Member

I may be wrong but work has started around Bridge 37 (opposite the hospital). I didn't think that the Cycleway was going across Bridge 35 and is now coming off just shy of Bridge 36 (opposite the entrance to the Arc / Premier Inn). I assume the painting of a bridge refers to 35 - that won't be a cheap job; I would think that it would need to be cocooned in scaffolding / sheeting to stop paint / shot dropping into and polluting the river

There are various planning notices on the trackway to Bridge 38 - so it looks like things are moving

9. Mick Bond

Mick Bond New Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Next meeting of Peak Rail Derwent Valley branch
    The next meeting of the branch will be on Tuesday 23rd February where Glynn Waite of the Rowsley Association will talk about the Matlock Tramway. This ran from Crown Square to the Smedleys and Rockside Hotels up Matlock Bank. It was open from 1893 to 1927. Glynn’s talk gives a very comprehensive coverage of its history. The talk will start at 7.30pm and will take place at the
    Duke William
    91 Church Street
    Matlock
    DE4 3BY

10. petec

petec New Member

The council originally planned to use bridge 35,but then decided on a level crossing,which Pr objected to on safety grounds.
    What the outcome is I don,t know as presumably council would have to pay for a proper barriers crossing rather than the foot crossing now there.
    Regarding route through Haddon,I read somewhere that this will now not be in the current phase.

11. daveannjon

daveannjon Well-Known Member

I believe the plan is that the railway will be closed January and February next year for the track to be slewed on Bridge 35, with the cycleway crossing further north being a temporary arrangement, but the usual caveats apply.
    Dave

12. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    WP_20160213_09_00_44_Pro.jpg

The cycleway progresses,by close in Sunday I noted the stone bed down half way to Rowsley village through the forest that was the old sidings,its about 400 yards from the old milk sidings now

13. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    WP_20160213_11_42_51_Pro.jpg WP_20160213_11_42_51_Pro.jpg WP_20160213_11_43_37_Pro.jpg some of lord Phil at riverside

Attached Files:

14. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    WP_20160216_13_11_01_Smart.jpg some pics of the NRM's carriage out on the service train today on test WP_20160216_13_12_27_Pro.jpg WP_20160216_13_12_14_Pro.jpg WP_20160216_12_34_34_Pro (2).jpg WP_20160216_13_15_20_Pro.jpg WP_20160216_13_11_43_Smart.jpg WP_20160216_13_11_01_Smart.jpg WP_20160216_13_11_43_Smart.jpg WP_20160216_13_12_27_Pro.jpg WP_20160216_13_12_14_Pro.jpg WP_20160216_12_34_34_Pro (2).jpg WP_20160216_13_15_20_Pro.jpg

15. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    WP_20160216_12_52_46_Pro.jpg and work on the cycleway continues space,cant wait till the access road and car park are finished itl ne a lot tidier in the approaches then,work around the back of markovitz is ongoing upto harisons way and also through rowsley woods

16. daveannjon

Thanks for the pics of 7828 Dom, we had a short test run from Rowsley to Church Lane yesterday with no untoward noises or anything falling off so it seems like we will be OK for its first service run on March 6th, but we are continuing minor snagging over the next couple of weeks. Looks great, especially when the sun shines - ten years work was worth it!

Dave

17. Woodster21

Woodster21 Member

Well done LMSCA - your hard work has paid off. I hope that you and PR generate some positive publicity

rhawkins likes this.
  18. burmister

burmister Member

Indeed looks very good. Carriages are what a Railways customers experience most of during a visit so should up their impressions of the railway a lot. After all that hard work will it be kept under cover when not in use?

Brian

19. daveannjon

Probably not under cover until winter now. The next project is a 1935 Third Open so only ten years younger than 7828 but very different in style, which chimes nicely with the aims of the LMSCA to show the development of the LMS coach.

Dave

20. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    Yey so want a ride now,cant wait and also to see your next project come along too,well done folks,just a shame I didn't get the shot from the field,perfect light and no trees