If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Peak Rail General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by kestreleyes, Nov 22, 2009.

1. kestreleyes

kestreleyes Well-Known Member

signal engineer
    it actually runs that way,and has had joint services running into both platforms,a trian in the loop before now and incoming charters, all good fun

seawright likes this.
  2. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    WP_20150801_12_11_30_Pro.jpg WP_20150801_12_11_30_Pro.jpg WP_20150801_12_44_39_Pro.jpg WP_20150801_11_39_34_Pro.jpg WP_20150801_12_25_11_Pro.jpg WP_20150801_11_41_21_Pro.jpg WP_20150801_15_10_27_Pro.jpg

A few from this weekends warring forties event WP_20150801_15_32_15_Pro.jpg

Attached Files:

3. kestreleyes

signal engineer
  4. JorgeR

JorgeR New Member

I meant to ask if there'd been an answer to my previous question: are there plans to include the refitting of authentic two-character route indicators to this DMU as part of its bodywork restoration? Always think it's a shame that these are seen so rarely on preserved DMUs: aesthetically it's akin to running BR steam locos around without smokebox numbers or shedplates!

5. daveannjon

daveannjon Well-Known Member

Hi, I think it was answered but only in the sense that it depends what the client asks for, being a contract job.
    Cheers
    Dave

6. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    I did ask but having not seen anyone in the intervening week didn't get the reply, about one page back on this blog there's a photo of the dmu frontage that may answer the question, I do agree I prefer the four digit head codes but that's the era we grew up in :). I should be down again next week so will see how the folks are getting on

7. Chris86

Chris86 Well-Known Member

Safety, Technical and Offroad Driver Trainer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    The prairie looks very sad! Hopefully won't be too long before she sees some attention?!

Chris

8. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    The weekends plan was to do some painting but driving through bakewell the rain started to descend so option B was to do some rewiring under church lane cabin, ironically the day then became lovely and sunny, typical :).

Elsewhere I managed to have a chat and a brew with the shed gang, the other DMU set is progressing nicely, the one car is now having the upper gloss/varnish layers applied,rubbed down and redone with a very nice shine and the other car is in its base coats having its windows worked upon, Chris was busy working on Royal Pioneer drilling the mounting holes in the floor plates for various fittings when it gets reassembled and the cab roof was also having fittings drilled/mounted and such like.

Penyghent ,save to say I know very little about big diesels but all the pistons are out and look in good condition, the vents are all covered and sealed to keep much out while work progresses and I'm told new piston rings and oil rings are on the cards when she goes back together, someone else will have to update the technicalities of the beast better than I.

The steps for the upper level of the shed progress nicely with all the steel members and truss work now fabricated and welded together and one gent was busy cutting the steps out of mesh plate and making the sides up where they bolt to the uprights, not an easy job with lots of cutting and welding up,apart from all the drilling and painting besides.

I didn't get a chance to chat much with Kev working on E1 or the HST lads but il catch up with them later on.

9. Spirax

Spirax New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Over the hill at the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway, Class 101 50253 is having the indicator reinstated with its working mechanism(recovered from a former Gatwick Xpress GLV), the aim is for the vehicle to be re-united with its other cars at the Multiple Memories event in September ( http://www.e-v-r.com/multiplememories/ ), creating the 3 car 101 set painted in deep bronze green, 50170 at the other end of the consist has its original style layout with its marker lights, with the latterly fitted high intensity lamp removed. Another DMU vehicle is also having a re-paint into a new surprise livery ready for the event too! code box.jpg
    50170-2011-03-28-Leigh-Gration-c.jpg

10. Woodster21

Woodster21 Member

What news of the Rowsely extension - is it the intention to have a run round loop at Rowsley? I seem to remember the original plan was to have a bay platform at Rowsley South and a single line to Rowsley

11. HarveyCoppock

HarveyCoppock New Member

Nope, not asked for, and the whiskers went on it today, which was apparently problematic, the central modern marker light not actually being in the centre....

12. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    The S&T dept have a suitable ground frame for rowsley proper should a run round be required, it'd be nonsensical to not provide one as it means you have to permanently top and tail otherwise if one of the locos goes down then you can't run to there.

The holes for the base of the rowsley box are next on our list, David and Ruth are currently painting the cream coats on the cabin.

This weekend was busy, Saturday we had a load of coaches in from a rail tour to the local area,thence bussed to rowsley who were shown around the site and the LMSCA and loco shed and also a party of ten from the Institute of railway Signal Engineers who had come to see the signal boxes and suchlike.

13. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    Quick update this time;

The dmu in rowsley workshops progresses nicely, I didn't get any pictures but it's well into its final coat now having had it's whiskers painted on, the shed is a hive of activity on different fronts whether it being fumes,locomotive restoration and carriage repairs, and it's nice to see the stairs to the upstairs have now been fitted which have been made up by one of the railways volunteers, the handrails are still to be fitted next but that's already on with, elsewhere the Hst continue with rebuilding the ex WSR shunter that's having its upper half bodywork rebuilt since it suffered salt damage by the seaside at its previous line,and on the s and t we've been busy with both riverside cabin and rowsley cabin too, David's also been repainting the window boards at Darley cabin.

Il try and get some pictures next time and a proper update. Take care all.

14. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    The Heritage Shunters Trust had their gala this weekend,with an assortment of their locomotives hauling brakevan rides up Rowsley sidings, including 09001,08016 amongst many others, the sundays weather looked better than saturday and at least the sun came out too.

on our side David,Ruth and myself made up the step board for Rowsley signalbox frame out of a long length of timber routed out with the circular saw and chisels,sorted the broken guttering out and dismantled one of the ground frames in store for cleaning up and restoring.

on shed work continues on the other DMU -L720 with bodywork sanding,priming and pannelling replacement, and a centre car is also having work attended,Penyghent`s pistons are all out now for inspection,the rods and mechanisms of the austerity are all being machined and fettled up,with some new pins being made through wear,and the contract work on the Dmu set can be seen now as its temporarily parked outside, one of our carriages is also in for window and bodyside work in the shed too,all the windows being removed for corossion checks..

WP_20150913_09_43_38_Pro.jpg WP_20150913_09_43_59_Pro.jpg WP_20150913_09_46_12_Pro.jpg WP_20150913_09_43_59_Pro.jpg WP_20150913_09_43_38_Pro.jpg WP_20150913_09_52_51_Pro.jpg WP_20150913_09_52_59_Pro.jpg WP_20150913_09_53_36_Pro.jpg WP_20150913_12_21_56_Pro.jpg

15. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    photo.JPG Courtesy Mr S Graves,part of the Heritage Shunters Fleet outside their stock shed on saturday

16. kestreleyes

signal engineer
  17. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    Started to dig the holes for the rowsley cabins support framework today, up in the LMSCA the gang were busy getting things ready for next weekends exhibition. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

18. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    Some photos of today's Rails at Rowsley exhibition,both showing the restored 7928 carriage at Rowsley on public view as well as the exhibition and displays at the original Rowsley station, it's also on again tomorrow though today was the only day the bus link was available, using a vintage chesterfield bus image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Corbs likes this.
  19. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    And some more photos of today image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

20. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    Quick little update as i called in today to get some things ready for concreting the rowsley box steelworks on Monday,thanks to Chris for helping shift the large wooden main beam with the loader.

Down in the shed the GCR dmu was having some lining and fine painting finished,the other class 117 dmu has also been started inside,the bodywork is first and one side of one car has been started in the undercoats,sanded down and redone again to build up the various coats, Harvey was hard at it painting one of the service carriages which is in the shed for a complete overhaul and repaint and I also quickly chatted with the lMSCA chaps who said they'd done very well at last weeks Rails at Rowsley event, John was attending to painting on his Delacher ferry vans while the weathers good and I also had a chat with Axel who is in the process of extending the German Model Railway layout in their display building, elsewhere on site the contractors are working on the cycle path through the site and Il get some pictures on this at the weekend, I noted the foundations have been started to be dug on the narrow gauge shed too WP_20151001_16_39_06_Pro.jpg WP_20151001_16_47_05_Pro.jpg WP_20151001_16_47_09_Pro.jpg

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015