If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Peak Rail General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by kestreleyes, Nov 22, 2009.

1. philw2

philw2 Member

The article in Railway Herald regarding the Bamford Box move was excellent especially when, in the interview, Ms J Statham mentions the 'E' word. LOL..

2. Woodster21

Woodster21 Member

3. philw2

philw2 Member

'extension'

4. Woodster21

Woodster21 Member

Thanks - is the article available on line?

5. philw2

philw2 Member

I don't think so. You may have to subscribe to view it. I think if I try to copy-paste it, that will be an infraction of RH intellectual property rights..

6. Woodster21

Woodster21 Member

Moving Bamford Box image.jpg the first time

7. cct man

cct man Part of the furniture

CONSTRUCTION
    Kins
    Very nicely done chaps.

I have always been impressed with what you guys do.

Kind regards
    Chris

8. kestreleyes

kestreleyes Well-Known Member

signal engineer
    brilliant pics Woodster, and thanks for the kind comments, much appreciated by all down the line they are :)

9. kestreleyes

signal engineer
  10. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    Ian and myself made a start on repainting the ex Bamford box this week,the basecoats and first coat of cream going on the panelling sections,as well as a lot of scraping,priming,and coating in anti rot solution anywhere prone, keith also had a look at the roof he reslated all them years ago when the box first went up at Darley Dale and will attend to the few broken slates when were all next about, Kevin is looking at making some new wooden finials to the correct pattern thanks to a colleague with a cnc machine,thanks also to everyone who sent through finial plans after a request on the signalbox forum also.

next job weather depending will be to get more first coats of paint on before tackling the beam under the door end.,theres some filling to be done too especially over all the nail holes around the box.

we also had a good brush out upstairs and resurected the blockshelf on the original pillars too.

Attached Files:

11. daveannjon

daveannjon Well-Known Member

Noticed some chaps suspended on ropes working on Dove Holes cutting last week, this is what it's about http://www.weldgrip.com/doveholes.php - includes a downloadable pdf with photos, impressive work.

Dave

12. Woodster21

Woodster21 Member

What happened to the original finials?

13. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    only one of the finials left,which is in good hands with Kev trying to get another pair made from new

re the cutting works,the same crews have also been working atop barmoor clough doing similar retaining works.

14. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    Today's update

Mr Briddons' diesel building

Mr Briddon informs me that steelwork begins erection this month, good news to see such activity taking place at Darley dale south yard but please remember the site is a building site so no access, there are plenty of photographic locations alongside on public property to take any pictures. A link to the website and work ;

http://www.weekendrails.co.uk/wrails2/component/k2/content/17-2014-jan-mar.html

Had a chat with the class 37 lads over the weekend and they're working hard away on their locomotives, hopefully a more detailed
    Description in coming weeks.

S&T

We have been manning riverside cabin, we also managed to get in some more painting work in on the ex Darley Cabin that's up Rowsley for restoration before the wind and darkness stopped play,at least the back of he cabin is in its second coat now.

15. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    The columns for mr Briddons shed have started to go up at Darley Dale

Attached Files:

16. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    Another update on the shed from mr Briddon with more roof bits going together nicely image.jpg

17. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    Friday; I started to remove the old timber door end beam on Bamford cabin which was completely rotten and required quite a lot of jacking to get the beam clear of the supporting timbers on the wagon. That done it was down to removing all the remaining rotten boards on the door end which as guessed were in a pretty sorry state, ironically the ones I thought were really bad under the small window actually were sound and had nothing wrong,so they've had a coat of anti rot solution and the first of many coats of paint.

The old wood has since become firewood for riverside so even now isn't completely wasted. image.jpeg

With the morning still being fine I started to scrape down and paint under the eaves boards but then by mid afternoon the weather changed yet again and so a start was made on the lever frame for the cabin with some rodding sections becoming the tie rods to straddle the floor joists as well as to tie the frame legs together. Much drilling with the mag drill ensued to get that far ,More on that as time permits as there's much to be done on that aspect of the project we`l leave till later on.

Robin has kindly taken away one of the frame supports to repair as it had a broken locking tray mounting from the time BR recovered it for the NRM and it looks like robin may be busy as in everything we obtained there doesn't seem to be any of the boomerang brackets (Mckenzie and Holland's name for the locking tray to frame bars) but at least I've pictures of whats needed to make something from.

The weekend was just as busy as John has swapped over the batteries at riverside to run off a standard 12volt battery with a voltage regulator for the centre tapped pos/neg feed for the signal indications ,so another drawing for me to update this week ;)
    Also while manning riverside between trains I managed to put more of a bend on 9 lever electric lock to tail rod - so it doesn't catch the cable trunking any more as well as file out the locking tray cover hole so the top plates fit much better now.

Saturday afternoon while considering the weather was fine and whilst eyeing up the peeling paint on the rear beam of riverside I decided to get out the ladders and painting poles and make a start on repainting the cabins rear main beam and even got as far as on Sunday repainting the complete rear and both end walls cream sections as well as manning the cabin so every bit of the weekend was used up timewise :). Il return to painting more maroon when I get a chance and the weather improves.

The next work now is in the beginning of march when we re sleeper the Derwent bridge point, one job left over from last year and we will be needed to get the points back into action after robs relayed the timber work.

up at Rowsley I bumped into Mr Briddon who was explaining the next part of the shed works,the floor etcetera and also bumped into Ben whose doing sterling work on making up the wooden panels for the NRM coach interior from new,keep up the good work sir :)

the Class 50 and HST chaps were down too beavering away but i didnt get much time to chat with them to find out what they were upto.

Charters

Not to forget that next weekend 2nd March - sees the arrival of an East Midlands intercity 125 charter hauled train to Peak Rail, details below;

http://ukrailtours.com/tourshow.asp...ins&tourfile=140302_THE_PEAK_RAIL_PIONEER.txt

Which will be followed later the same month on the 23rd March by 34046, hauling the Railway Touring Company`s - Peak Forester railtour from Kings Cross to Rowsley & return, details below;

http://www.railwaytouring.net/uk-day-trips/peak-forester

The timetable for PR trains on both days can be seen via the following link;

http://www.peakrail.co.uk/operatingdatestimetable/ (click on the date required.)

philw2 likes this.
  18. Woodster21

Woodster21 Member

Is the rail tour still on?

19. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    as far as im aware yes;the following is from the Peak Rail website;

THE PEAK RAIL PIONEER RAILTOUR – Sunday 2nd March
    Organised by UK Railtours, this special train operating out of St. Pancras with an Intercity 125 will arrive at Matlock Station at approximately 1140 before proceeding onto Peak Rail and arriving at Rowsley South Station at approximately 12noon.
    The unit will be stabled in the run round loop at Rowsley to await departure at 1425.
    Visitors will have the opportunity of participate in brake van rides and there will be guided tours of the Heritage Shunters Trust sheds. Also open on this day will be the LMS Carriage Shed and representatives of the Renown Repulse Restoration Group will be available to discuss their Class 50’s restoration.
    Peak Rail will be operating trains on this day to the normal fares but a special timetable will be in operation.

20. bluediamondman

bluediamondman New Member