If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Peak Rail General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by kestreleyes, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Woodster21

Woodster21 Member

Dom, as the link has dropped off the first page of the forum - I thought I ought to ask a question! Is the block work on the Matlock Box going to be clad in painted wood, the block work painted or is it going to be left as it is - no criticism but it does look a little odd as it is. Similar question - is the shelter on platform 2 Matlock going to be painted?

2. kestreleyes

kestreleyes Well-Known Member

signal engineer
    Hi woodster, for now the Matlock box stays as is in blockwork similar to the Holt box on the NNR
    I don't know about the shelter on Matlock platform 2 but the riverside shelter was recently painted so it could well be that it will be treated similarly soon to keep the weather out

On our side testing continues at riverside and we've been operating the cabin for running round through November

Elsewhere everyone getting ready for next weekends Santa trains and the RRPG so have a new range of merchandise out too

http://www.renownrepulse.com/news-r...rchandise-available.html#sthash.qPftcrTz.dpbs

3. Woodster21

Woodster21 Member

Cheers for the update

4. daveannjon

daveannjon Well-Known Member

The entrance road at Rowsley South is now much smoother, just in time for the Santas.

Dave

5. Respite

Respite Member

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Dom

please could you advise what is working this years Santas? Is it Lord Phil and a diesel or is Sapper back again to top and tail?

Thanks

6. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    il be able to tell you that as soon as I get down in the next week as with top n tailing we wont be manning riverside cabin this month (hopefully not)

7. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    Lord Phil and Penyghent Andy on today's services and looks nice n busy

8. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    called in today with my girls to look at a fault, that said it was busy being the first week of Santa`s, i also noted the heritage shunters trust busy in their display shed and some of the class 50 lads about too, the recent blowy wind has took down four of the elms in the wood at rowsley and a fence at darley but beyond that the most damage i saw on my travels seems to be up round the bakewell area with several tres snapped off at Haddon Hall.

back to staying warm

9. 5786Dan

5786Dan New Member

Where are the steam locomotives kept? I remember going past one morning and seeing an austerity heading towards Rowsley South light engined early in the morning.

10. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    They're based at Rowsley shed now which is the main site for ourselves and many of the other groups on the line, you may have seen the pay and play returning from Matlock back to Rowsley to pick up the coaching stock

By next year mr Briddon should have his shed up at Darley Dale too in the old south yard where we used to shed everything when we first started up

Below is a link to some of the recent work the LMSCA have been undertaking upon LMS coach no. 7828
    http://lmsca.org.uk/blog/2013/12/7828-nov-2013/

11. philw2

philw2 Member

I see that Google Earth has been updated in the Riverside area..

The trackwork connection and dog-leg are clearly visible now.

12. Woodster21

Woodster21 Member

I had a walk near the South Yard today, a lot of the track has been lifted in preparation for the Diesel Depot. Has the Sleeper Coach been moved to Rowsley, if it has does anyone use it? Wasn't there an issue with the bogies - I am sure it had been like this whilst at Peak Rail

13. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    Indeed the yard has been cleared ready for holes to be dug for the sheds foundations to get started etcetera, the sleeping coach is now up rowsley and as far as I know is still used, I'm aware some work on its internal restoration was started prior to it moving

On other bits of news the rowsley shed has started to have internal lights fitted over the pit roads, a new stockbook/guide for the line and through ticketing from NR onto PR are ready to be brought in for 2014, and there are two planned chargers for next year

The first, A UK Railtours charter from St Pancras on the 2nd March sees an intercity 125 come onto PR metals. Then to be followed by The Peak Forester rail tour on the 23rd March operated by the Railway Touring Company

14. Woodster21

Woodster21 Member

Just checked the UK Railtour website - that's a pretty good price from St Pancras. Now if it could be done the other way...

15. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    Never say never. Could be the name of the rail tour that too

16. Woodster21

Woodster21 Member

Regarding the through ticketing , will you be able to get a ticket to (from) Wirksworth from (to) Rowsley (PR / EMT / EVRA) as it would be possible to cycle / MTB using the Monsal Trail and High Peak Trail to create an interesting route with very little road riding

17. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    well this is one to try out as with the EVR also being on the through ticketting it should be possible to do this, let us know as i bet youl be the first person to have the ticket :)

before i sign off a thankyou to everyone out there in railway land for all your hard work,dedication annd determindness over the last year, may you all have a fruitfull 2014,may it be merry and enjoyable and we hope to see you all again in 2014.

all the best from us all at Peak Rail

dom

18. Woodster21

Woodster21 Member

I might have a go, timings will be issue - might be spring.

Is the Darley Box still scheduled to move in January?

19. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    it is,i did reply last week but for some reason the reply has dropped off

too much christmas merriment maybe :eek:

20. T'Bogger

T'Bogger New Member

Design Engineer