If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Peak Rail General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by kestreleyes, Nov 22, 2009.

1. philw2

philw2 Member

Thanks KE. What's ICP please?

2. gwalkeriow

gwalkeriow Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    ICP =Independent Competent Person

3. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The fantastic people at Peak Rail have kindly agreed to my request for an evening shoot at Darley Dale with 44422 (out of steam but brought to life with some rags etc and its appearance kindly agreed to by the owning group)

places available at a cost of £28 . Pm me for booking form and full details

4. kestreleyes

kestreleyes Well-Known Member

signal engineer
    Monday 7 October 2013 at 7.30 pm

For a requested £3 donation on the door, all welcome to:
    "Pictures from the David Odd Collection" - slideshow - Roger Hallatt

A change to the advertised programme.

David Odd's extensive slides of steam in the 1950s and 1960s all around the UK were donated to Peak Rail, and Roger draws upon these for tonight's show.

Thank you Roger for stepping into the breech for the October meeting.

The Doug Copley collection is being transferred from less reliable DVD's onto portable external hard drive. This was still work-in-progress when my wife suddenly died on 20 August, and with the funeral only last week has not yet progressed further. The plan is to resume the regular May Bank Holiday slot for Doug Copley Shows from 2014.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Meeting presented by Peak Railway Association (Sheffield Branch) at
    The Harlequin Pub (upstairs function room), 108 Nursery Street, Sheffield S3 8GG

Bus routes 47, 48, 53 and 87 stop near the front door.

hope to see you!
    Dave

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

David Sharp
    Peak Railway Association, Sheffield Branch

5. kestreleyes

signal engineer
  6. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    Well it looks like winters started to creep in early again this year and certainly Ian David John and myself experienced that at the weekend , I know how seals feel now and can quite confidently say that every job over the weekend just had to be an outdoor job didn't it :(

Ian, David ,John and myself did some cable repairs to various strimmed, expired or chewed line side cables which we'd planned in plus a faulty one thrown in for goo measure too as well as a little location door repair work and some modifications to a backup phone supply between rowsley and church lane box

That aside the weekend was also busy for Mr Briddon who managed to stay out the rain (I'm really envious now) as his class 14 was out and about on the passenger service, a write up on his Weekend Rails site of the weekend appears below

http://www.weekendrails.co.uk/wrails2/latest-post/168.html

Anyhow for the rest of those on site work continued restoring things undercover but unfortunately for me I didn't get to talk to the groups to see what they were upto. Oh well back to being a drowned rat again ;)

7. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    friday was a familiarisation day for the signallers dept at Riverside, while there Pete John,Ian and Dave also ran in the connections to the led units in the signal lamps, and then we tottered up to Darley top look at loosening the fittings that bind the ex Bamford cabin together,oiled them,and ran them back up , at least we know all the nuts will undo when ready.

also spotted Mr Carabine and colleauge doing some repainting work on Riversides shelter.

stay warm all

Woodster21 likes this.
  8. Woodster21

Woodster21 Member

I assume it will be next year when Bamford Box will be moved to its new location. The metal supports that bind the top and bottom of the box were acquired from Hams Hall - unfortunately the rest of the pylon had to be returned to its owner. Any news on the footbridge?

9. daveannjon

daveannjon Well-Known Member

It's all finance dependent of course but current thinking is to get the footings and columns done next year. The footbridge is certainly needed especially during two train running when folk want to cross to change trains.

I see two incoming charters for 2014 are mentioned in the latest Peak Express newsletter, a HST from St Pancras run by UK Railtours on 2 March, and another RTC Peak Forester, hopefully with Rebuilt WC Braunton on 23 March.

Peak Express also has a cheeky photoshop job by Sheila Rayson with Tangmere's Night Ferry headboard altered to show Rowsley - Paris :)

Dave

10. dggar

dggar New Member

Received my copy yesterday. On the front it says "Summer 2013" and inside it says " last date for copy 31st October 2013"
    Has ther been some delay in getting this issue published?.
    Don't know how much lobbying power Peak Rail have with rail tour companies but it would be nice to see
    Scotts Guardsman or a Jubiliee run to Rowsley.

11. daveannjon

daveannjon Well-Known Member

You are right about the delay, although I've no idea what the reason was. I do know they are trying to get another issue out before Christmas, which reminds me that the Santas are already selling well. I think other things are in the offing charter wise but nothing confirmed as yet.

Dave

12. philw2

philw2 Member

KE. With regard to the Bamford box, will the new base be cast and the leverframe bolted to it and the wooden box plonked over it after?

It would be great to see pics of this work in progress..

13. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    wed like to adopt the metal legs and clad it in wood approach as all the timber claddings in good nick, learning from mick and other railways its not a good idea to have wooden legs as when they eventually go they cost a lot to get repaired,the wooden crossbeam from the old bamford cabin will be resited as we need that to mount the self adjusting weight system on downstairs and for a change the lms style relay cupboard will this time be upstairs as was most of the hope valley cabins as it would be better to have any electrical locking equipment nearer the locks and frame reducing wiring etc.

as regards bases you dont need to cast a base as such across the whole floor area as you need to make the area easily moveable downstairs so you can bolt timbers underneath to screw your wheels to for the wires that operate everything,the lms model of crossrails and then timbers bolted to them like we did at riverside would be the more preffered method, the same was also done under the bamford box at darley dale

il try and get some pics up on here as work progresses ,i know it used to be problematical but i believe its a lot easier now to link pictures etc.

14. philw2

philw2 Member

Ta KE.. An internal steel frame then? I look forward to the progress pics, if not here, on yr S & T website.

15. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    makes sense, whilst its nice to rebuild a heritage structure as was done in the old days, the problem of spiralling costs,aquiring materials and future skills and maintenance will always be the bugbear, i prefer internal metal structures as you dont get the hundred year old box leaning when it goes messing all your lever locks and locking up and doing itself more damage in the process, a steel frame inside cladded to look like wood was a good idea that Mick put in place when Church lane was done and with the exception of Riverside weve continued to do this at Darley and will do so at Rowsley,it makes good sense as theres nowt worse than trying to change a one ton beam twenty years down the line thirty feet up in the air :( bad enough on the back of a waggon 4 foot up when we replaced Luffenhams beams.

will definitely keep you all updated as and when we start.

thanks for asking boss

16. philw2

philw2 Member

de nada..

17. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    S&T
    John and myself put Petes signal lamps into action the other evening at Riverside. With some good comments that we've outshone colour lights they're that bright ;)

We also fitted a new H pipe to Darley cabin and a new stove and pipe has been professionally fitted at Church Lane cabin to replace the life expired one that's been there for years

Wel be busy at Riverside in the coming weeks manning the frame as trains will be running around there, we've also got some more Independant testing at the months end with our ICP to keep us busy too

Elsewhere I managed to make Steve a brew at rowsley and learn some more about big milling machines and axle blocks and stuff

Local groups

The Riverside shelter has had another painting session

Also

Monday 4 November 2013 at 7.30pm

A CHANGE TO THE ADVERTISED PROGRAMME BECAUSE
    SADLY, PETER CRAWLEY DIED ON 7 OCTOBER 2013

For a requested £3 donation on the door, all welcome to:

"A SELECTION OF BRITISH TRANSPORT FILMS FROM THE
    CORPORATE BR BLUE ERA" - filmshow - Nick Wheat

Huge thanks to Nick who has stepped manfully into the breech
    at short notice, and put together a programme of films matching
    Peter's intended show "During The Blues" depicting the 1970s
    and 1980s. Nick's programme includes the following:-

(1) - Our Business is Moving (1970)
    Tenth in a series of 13 topical films to log the many developments - new services, equipment, techniques of the Modernisation Plan.

(2) - Journey Inter-City (1972)
    A lively and sometimes evocative account of a mixed bag of passengers enjoying in their various ways a typical Inter-City journey.

(3) - Inter-City 1250 (1982)
    A journey from London King's Cross to Peterborough in four minutes - a speed of well over 1250 mph!

(4) - Overture One Two Five (1978)
    An impressionist film featuring the new Inter City 125.

(5) - Partners in Prosperity (1980)
    Marking an era of rail advancement in both passenger and freight markets setting out a plan for an integrated road and rail transport structure in Scotland,.

======
    Interval
    ======

(6) - Rubbish by Rail (1977)
    The bulk movement by rail of London's household waste to landfill sites in Oxfordshire.

(7) - 'Merry Go Round' (1979)
    Featuring the new MGR trains at work around the North Notts coalfield

(8) - Wires Over the Border (1974)
    An account of the electrification of the West Coast main line railway from Crewe to Glasgow.

(9) - Promises Promises (1982)
    The 'peak' hauled 07.55 Sheffield to St Pancras and how delays en-route can be prevented by staff

End
    ===

Well done Nick!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

During the interval:-

1. tickets available for the Rob Foxon Film Shows
    on Mon 25 Nov 2013 and Mon 13 Jan 2014.

2. tickets (still £6) for the Pie, Pea & Chips Supper on Mon 2 Dec.

Apologies that I overlooked to give advance notice in October,
    but this price does INCLUDE the usual £3 door money and so
    now you will be getting your meal for half-price, because this
    year we will be absorbing a third consecutive increase!

For this reason we must have payment in advance, and Liz tells me
    there won't be any spares on the night. No ticket, enjoy crisps!

3. please let me know if you can provide a 15-min slot for "YourPix"
    after the Supper. The Slide Projector, Digital Projector, and Laptop
    are available to show slides, film clips and digital pictures. USB
    devices preferred, because home-produced CD / DVD can often
    be difficult to open on a different PC.

4. Platform 5 Calendars and David Charlesworth Christmas
    Cards will be on sale. The latter include some new railway
    selections, and also some nice non-railway Derbyshire scenes.

5. Colin will be doing 100 Club Draw

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

presented by: Peak Railway Association (Sheffield Branch) at
    The Harlequin Pub (upstairs function room)
    108 Nursery St, Sheffield S3 8GG

bus routes 47, 48, 53 and 87 stop near the front door.

hope to see you!
    Dave

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

David Sharp
    Peak Railway Association, Sheffield Branch

(E): d.sharp@sheffield.ac.uk
    (H): 0114 274 5478
    (M): 07950 787 231

The branch programme, and directions
    to The Harlequin, can be found at:

http://www.peakrail.co.uk/SheffieldBranch

18. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    photo1.JPG

photo3.JPG

Attached Files:

19. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    The department manned Riverside at the weekend to permit running around of trains, as well as all that we also managed to get a lot of other little tidying up jobs done as well in between the increment weather (for increment weather see howling gales and bad bad rain), though the cabins stove was very warming Aand the turnout of passengers quite good considering the weather, the platform shelter certainly got used a lot.
    :)

philw2 likes this.
  20. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    Small bits n pieces

The Railway Magazine December 2013;

Page 77, article upon Mr Briddons class 14 ,14901 appears with picture.

also through ticketing next year with EMT mentioned in a side article on page 70, including station posters around the local network

Woodster21 likes this.