If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Peak Rail General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by kestreleyes, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Superheater

Superheater New Member

Toolmaker/Precision Engineer and Jack of all Trade
    :)
    Quick catch up from the 8F group, Myself and Derek Ankers spent last Saturday 30th Jan giving the Kettle a damn good washing out. Then this Saturday 6th Feb , we made up a flare on the end of some track circuit wire, soaked in paraffin and sparked up ! then proceeded to inspect through all washout plug holes and inside the barrel by sighting from the smokebox end while pushing the flare up from the 2 front mud doors. Everything was clean as New so we started to box everything back up and start refilling the boiler, Fingers crossed for a steam test next Saturday....................

Simon H.

2. lordy

lordy New Member

Any news on if she's staying at Peak Rail?

Lordy

3. ilvaporista

ilvaporista Part of the furniture

C.Eng
    Ooooh. I thought that was a subject not to be mentioned?

4. 48624

48624 New Member

The plan is to remain based at Peak Rail but to hire the loco out in order to earn the money it will require for its ten year overhaul.
    An announcement will be made in the next few days regarding it's first confirmed hire later on in the year,once all of the shareholders and members have been informed.

5. kestreleyes

kestreleyes Well-Known Member

signal engineer
    quite agree,it has to earn its next ticket money ! ,please pop some news on here when you know more

dom

in this coming month we hope to make a start on prefabbing the trackwork up for matlock at rowsley,the tree cutting will soon commence on the patch of land around riverside.

6. Superheater

Superheater New Member

That sounds promising Dom ! Can't wait to see the track re connected, looks so "un finished" in that area at the moment, perhaps this will make things seem more complete ! Even if the tracks point towards each other with a gap between, will look better than it does at the moment, especially to joe public......

Simon H.

PS maybe running a class 8 will look a better prospect too................ ;-)

7. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    A busy weekend, Ian and myself have mostly completed painting the ex luffenham box, save a few panels here n there and the maroon bits which wel do next weekend.

with the kind help of one of our long term members Pete, weve started to look at replacing the glass in the panes with a form of bulletproof plastic, which doesnt yellow like perspex does with age,were trial fitting the end small window,at first impressions it looks neater with its own preformed beading and seems to be coming out well under half price, but were awaiting final quotes and trial fitting of one panel first.

Riverside

the guys have swappedover the north end turnout at Rowsley with another on site torelease good components for installation at Riverside,these have now been loaded onto a waggon,sleepers are on order and we have started to assemble all the neccessary insulated soleplates,4ft rods,lock rods etc for installation of both the new turnout at riverside (handpoint end) and the alterations to the trackwork on the current (groundframe end)

we have also started to assemble the track insulated joints up to go in at same time on our infrastructure.

tree clearance is due to commence on the bit of land at the cawdor end of the site at riverside as well as behind the platform.

the darley stove is also nearly finished.

ELSEWHERE

the wickham trolley is having its starter looked at by John, the LMSCA lads have been busy on the NRM coach with more work on the sides and also on the Buffet coach.

the lineside guys have been busy chopping more undergrowth away.

8. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    pic of the box I forgot to put on, there are still odd panels that need completing,which given some dryness tommorow i may gtet round to after the mtce

9. TonyMay

TonyMay Member

I'm not trying to spark off any disagreements here but if you are hiring the 48624 out, wouldn't it have been more appealing for other lines if it had been painted in a more accurate livery? Is there any chance of it being repainted?

10. Superheater

Superheater New Member

2 Problems here Tony.

1. It's only paint.

2. The Locomotive is the property of the 48624 locomotive company ltd. and is available to anyone wanting to hire her ( through the proper channels )

As a quick update to things, she has had a steam test today following the washout the other week and behaved perfectly, Looked good enough to put out in traffic tomorrow (which I wish she was ! ) Make a brilliant Valentines day locomotive......................

Simon Hunter.

11. TonyMay

TonyMay Member

yeah, right colour for valentine's day lol

12. Jark91

Jark91 Member

On the contrary I think a lot of lines would like the chance to run something that isn't BR black without giving one of their own locomotives such a vibrant paint job.

13. amcoward

amcoward New Member

Controller Metrolink
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Here we go again! Anyone who has seen 8624 will agree it looks stunning and when I tried to hire it last year the colour of it didn't even come into my thoughts - the need for a powerful and reliable locomotive did! Whilst some enthusiasts would boycot an LMS red 8624, Joe and Joanne Public really couldn't care less, as they just want to have a train ride behind a steam locomotive. Whilst I'm sure there are many enthusiasts that would love to see it in black at some stage during its current 10 year ticket it looks fantastic as it is and the owners have never made any secret about their willingness to paint it black in the future, so surely people should enjoy it as it is. Those who want it black should get a chance in the future, so stop moaning about it! Rant over.

Regards

14. Jark91

Jark91 Member

Goodness knows why people want BR Black anyway. Historically accurate, yes, but not particularly photogenic, and there's other oppurtunity to see a black 8F - there isn't to see a red one.

15. conireland

conireland Member

8624 looks great in LMS red anyway, would have been fantastic had it come to the ELR but I hope to see it sometime in the future as it is a fantastic looking engine.

16. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    quick update

S&T

managed to paint the rear and two sides of the box again plus make a start on the painting of the maroon trimming, front to do next,also looked at a power fault at Church Lane and a few other minor ones, then finished off helping John.

Wickham Trolley

John,Dave and myself have rerouted the erath lead from its previous place on the chassis to a new place on the motor body,with the result that its solenoid engages now and it starts better now (following a jump charge fromthe old skoda!).

PWAY

Rob and the lads were at work relaying the approach track to the narrow gauge coach shed today.

Lineside

People getting ready for tree cutting clearance at Riverside

Other goings on were occuring but i didnt get around to see them and so cant report what else was ongoing,tillnext time! all the best!

dom

17. tfftfftff86

tfftfftff86 Member

I read that the Churnet Valley are taking 48624 on an extended hire in the second half of 2010. No mention of a livery change, so one other line at least seems to find it attractive enough in red. I wonder, is there any swap involved?

18. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    would be nice but their usa locos under overhaul i think, wouldnt mind the usa tank they had at the gala though, very nice!!!! could always borrow the 25!!!!!! very nice as well

19. tfftfftff86

tfftfftff86 Member

Well I think PR will have to consider hiring in a steamer in a planned kind of way, otherwise they're putting all their eggs into one Austerity-shaped basket.

20. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Well that's not exactly an unusual state of affairs on PR!