If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Peak Rail General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by kestreleyes, Nov 22, 2009.

1. kestreleyes

kestreleyes Well-Known Member

signal engineer
    First gala loco arrived , and the class 37 is now fully repainted ready too

Don’t forget this weekend the gala on 10th &11th

EB78306A-2ACB-472D-AE45-D565F82DF36A.jpeg 9555FE14-AC78-416E-8EAB-F150DD7CFBA1.jpeg

2. gravedanger

gravedanger New Member

Chesterfield Branch meeting on August 20th.
    Building work at Hasland Working Men's Club renders the only access is via the room where our meetings are held. Consequently, to avoid disruption,
    the 'Around the World' presentation by Ken Horan has been postponed and will be rescheduled, with his agreement, into next year's programme.

3. daveannjon

daveannjon Well-Known Member

The little Beyer Peacock 0-4-0T is a real beauty, but don't call it a Pug, it's Bertie!
    Dave

4. D6332found

D6332found Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Saw a Buxton local paper on reopening the site at Buxton. Without going through reams of stuff, is it a clear route out to the old Midland branch? And how are the plans going? Sounds very interesting...

5. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    A few photos of the weekends gala with No72,Lambton,the Beyer Peacock 040,D8,the class 37,class 25 on both passenger and freights

Photos myself and S Graves

296AEC17-D005-4D8E-B011-B370BB8ABFEF.jpeg 4919633F-F14C-4E76-AA22-3ABCC47C1B34.jpeg AAA75F59-EA03-44E7-9FD4-88478C11838D.jpeg 0D118E77-CF42-4654-96DF-C2083A93F90E.jpeg 1DBC5ECB-60DA-464A-AB17-06277958CECF.jpeg 06B4B0C6-6520-4859-80AD-8F7839F0CC37.jpeg 4DACFE07-C023-41B6-B286-BB8BB1D82341.jpeg A50F31E0-ADA8-4C43-BEDC-F28E25FE39A9.jpeg

6. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    “Today is a bit wet”, would be an understatement, but that doesn’t stop Andrew and myself clearing out the box at Rowsley and also retimbering both Church Lane and Darley Dale
    Walk-boards though they’ll need creosoting again on a drier day next time, we managed to avoid most the rain diving for cover and a brew with mr Briddon for a bit

The narrow gauge have been doing some track laying in their sidings and work continues on the class 25 now the problems with odd air leaks have been sorted and the air side is holding up on the engine now, thanks to Martin and Andrew for the fault finding and work on that side

The Beyer Peacock Is having a repaint while she’s with us and on shed out the rain before she goes back to her homebase but il not say what colour yet awaiting pics that I’m sure Matt will post up later

Attached Files:

Bluenosejohn and bobw754 like this.
  7. crantock

crantock Member

Beancounter
    I think you may be misreading. The proposal is to reopen the Buxton Branch of the Peak Railway Association rather than the physical line. The route of the latter is clear as Network Rail use it and Peak Rail re built the Bridge in the late 80s/early 90s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jnc likes this.
  8. Petwall

Petwall Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    It is correct we are intending to establish a presence on the Buxton site along with re-establishing the Buxton social branch with branch meeting starting later this year. Details will be on here and published in Peak Express as they become available.

Pete

deaftech and 48624 like this.
  9. DcB

DcB Well-Known Member

Found the link from the Buxton local paper
    https://www.buxtonadvertiser.co.uk/...nch-open-within-the-next-two-months-1-9833453
    Does seem a positive change to the previous freight only proposal?
    "I hope we will see a new railway station at the northern end of a completely new railway"
    "However a site-clean-up would be the first order of business".

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    jnc likes this.
  10. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    7EF0A0EF-7F85-4D88-A5D5-43AC09E7175D.jpeg A4D73CC3-0B11-498B-A47F-98A507A9E7FF.jpeg Work has started on the Lancashire and Yorkshire medical inspection coach, it’s remarkably complete thankfully due its preservation both in the MOSI and it’s previous life, internal Bodywork will be a main job plus the external repairs that can be seen, this will be a nice project to see as it goes along and a fitting carriage to go with the other LMS coach too

And whiles she’s with us the Beyer Peacock is in the throws of being repainted, this is the base coat , after a run down another top coat will be applied.

Keep Up the good work folks

jnc, Bluenosejohn, bobw754 and 2 others like this.
  11. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    45215751-143B-4EFA-B579-D931DB40CE7D.jpeg FE5ED410-652D-499A-9DF6-70CD8D6A06F3.jpeg 45215751-143B-4EFA-B579-D931DB40CE7D.jpeg Yea it’s warm. Spent today creosoting up church lane and Darley walkboards,steps and toilet then moved on to concreting the stair leg (still the back four to do next) on Rowsley box before moving onto riverside and repainting the signal posts and ladders , darley should be next

Finished off the day chatting with Ben , the work upon the medical
    Carriage continues , it also has one of the original eyesight test lamp units which is hoped to be restored for display inside too.

I’m told the class 37 will be having some of its air line work redone soon and there’s still the floors to do in both cab ends plus a host of other things

Speaking of air, Martin and Andrew continue to find the boggles on the class 25 air system but it’s getting nearer to
    Full running

We also had a rather busy car boot sale up at Rowsley this morning

Enjoy the bank holiday folks

12. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    Just an upcoming shout for the Heritage Shunters event next weekend in commemoration of one of their members who passed away back in June, details from their site below

https://www.heritageshunterstrust.com/

13. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    For a requested £3 donation on the door, all welcome to:

Monday 2 September 2019 at 7:30pm
    "Melbourne to Melbourne"

- slideshow - Gavin Lake (Melbourne)

Join Gavin on another rail journey of epic proportions. Experience trans-european travel commencing in Melbourne, Derbyshire, and conclude the adventure many miles and loco classes later at Melbourne Southern Cross station, down under!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I will be bringing a copy - which has been ordered - of Ted Hancock's "The Hope Valley Line. Dore to Chinley" (£30).

I will bring a spare + Chris Booth's excellent & profusely illustrated "Tinsley & the Modernisation of Sheffield's Railways" (£34.95) for your perusal. If you wish to buy, the Card payment machine will be available, if preferred.

Presented by: Peak Railway Association (Sheffield Branch) at
    The Harlequin Pub (upstairs function room)
    108 Nursery St, Sheffield S3 8GG

Bus routes 3, 3a, 7, 8, 8a, 83 and 83a stop near the front door.
    (all of these routes have stops on Arundel Gate close to The Crucible)

David Sharp
    Peak Railway Association, Sheffield Branch

(E): 0114 274 5478
    (M): 07950 787 231 (text or call)

future branch programme and directions to The Harlequin, can be found at:

http://www.peakrail.co.uk/SheffieldBranch

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Aizlewoods Mill car park. The menacing parking notices are to tackle daytime abuse. Aizlewoods confirm Harlequin patrons can continue to park in evenings. 'Policing' only done by Aizlewoods staff (who finish at 1700). The London security firm is used just to process any parking notices instigated by Aizlewoods.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

14. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    3A38DDE9-B4DC-42A6-A325-F5440432B76D.jpeg 96E43D2D-620E-41CF-A732-78E623D53349.jpeg 0A8C31ED-12CA-48F6-B532-9D8DCD5D7776.jpeg 3A185949-66F5-45E7-9890-DEA0CE56FDEB.jpeg 9C75C0AD-02BE-4B1E-9C1B-1AD416F70D96.jpeg 4C683E99-AF86-474B-B2B2-017A25B8CC28.jpeg 3A38DDE9-B4DC-42A6-A325-F5440432B76D.jpeg 96E43D2D-620E-41CF-A732-78E623D53349.jpeg 0A8C31ED-12CA-48F6-B532-9D8DCD5D7776.jpeg 3A185949-66F5-45E7-9890-DEA0CE56FDEB.jpeg 9C75C0AD-02BE-4B1E-9C1B-1AD416F70D96.jpeg 4C683E99-AF86-474B-B2B2-017A25B8CC28.jpeg It was the Heritage Shunters event this weekend so attached are a good selection of photos from the Saturday operations, the class 37 and 25 were outside Rowsley shed too, John working on his 37 and the 25 has been having some trial run ins midweek to check over the air system and operation.

The Ashover light Railway folks were doing more siding works outside their shed and I called in for a quick chat, before getting some more concreting work done on the signalling side of things and also some work on the wooden spars on Church Lane crossing gates.

Johnme101, jnc, ilvaporista and 2 others like this.
  15. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    E7B1AD80-9773-4BA7-8E76-28F940E9DC88.jpeg Small update from My own dept today

I think I picked the better day of the weekend for the planned painting as today’s a bit wet, Andrew and myself repainted the white gloss on church lane gates at the weekend, I’ve said il leave a tin of black gloss and some brushes for the signallers if they can tart up the metal brackets again in black as and when they can

We also repainted darley 5, signal and church lane 6&13 signals besides and just for fun I repainted the base of church lane in cream too while awaiting the roller poles drying off before putting them in the car so a long day but while the sun shines as they say make hay

The last bit of work on the gates for the time being will be to fill the gaps in the spars on the gates where heat and cold weather has expanded them with more of the epoxy based filler and paint over that, il do that on passing next week as I’m On earlier All week long. Next year we may need to make a plate o fix the gate locks onto with some adjustment as we can see now why the gate locks have moved as one of the supporting spars have moved over time creating a gap down the spar and hence the lock bar moving out of adjustment.

John has arranged the delivery of the sand for the floor in Rowsley box which which has arrived at the box now and is the next job and we have around 400 bricks in both a pile at the box and here at mine to lay a floor once we’ve put the sand inside the box floor and levelled it and packed it hard which is the first job on the list to get right as the lying the easier part.

Il arrange a midweek visit one evening to finish church lane gates off and then should be down as normal the following week.

Attached Files:

bobw754, Johnme101 and Bluenosejohn like this.
  16. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    6860F255-4B32-4998-969D-07C5B2DC68AA.jpeg 64342C8E-2D29-4C68-8AFD-093DA0ECE895.jpeg 131361BD-1CDB-4889-B896-27A7581FFF76.jpeg 6860F255-4B32-4998-969D-07C5B2DC68AA.jpeg Called in earlier with the family noted the lmsca continuing work on the ambulance carriage, the HST working away up in their shunters shed and the ground is now ready for the Renown Repulse groups engine lift out/in, the track out the rear of the Loco shed is
    Laid and just wants drilling and screwing down now

Also called at Millersdale on the way back to get a pic or two of the restoration work upon the goods shed to bring it back to reuse as both an interpretation building and extra space for events/groups visits etcetera.

17. Mick Bond

Mick Bond New Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Details of the next two meetings of the Buxton branch

Thursday 24th October 2019 – Les Nixon the renowned railway photographer will present images of his work.

Thursday 21st November 2019 – Ken Grainger takes a detailed look at the history of the Lynton and Barnstaple Railway.

The Buxton Branch meets at the Old Hall Hotel, The Square, Buxton SK17 6BD which is opposite the Buxton Opera House and next door to the Crescent. Meetings start at 7.30pm, there is no charge for attendance but we welcome donations to cover the guest speaker and room hire. There is public ‘pay and display’ parking directly outside the hotel. The main railway station is a 5 minute walk away and there are several bus services.

Gordon Caro is the chair of the branch.

18. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    Sheffield branch

welcome to:

Monday 7 October 2019 at 7:30pm
    "Up Front - A Driver's Tales"

- slideshow - Martin Bromley (Nottingham)

Martin first started at Leicester Central MPD in 1959. Over the past 12 months Martin has been re-calling interesting and humorous incidents from his 40 years of train driving, and finding appropriate photos to illustrate them.

On sale at the interval, tickets for:-

(1) £6.50 - Pie, Pea and Chips Supper on 2 December

(2) £7.50 - "The LMS Film Unit" Rob Foxon, Railways Remembered at The Library Theatre, Tudor Square on 25 November.

(N.B. from 2020 only one Rob Foxon Show annually, in November)

Presented by: Peak Railway Association (Sheffield Branch) at
    The Harlequin Pub (upstairs function room)
    108 Nursery St, Sheffield S3 8GG

Bus routes 3, 3a, 7, 8, 8a, 83 and 83a stop near the front door.
    (all of these routes have stops on Arundel Gate close to The Crucible)

David Sharp
    Peak Railway Association, Sheffield Branch

(E): 0114 274 5478
    (M): 07950 787 231 (text or call)

future branch programme and directions to The Harlequin, can be found at:

http://www.peakrail.co.uk/SheffieldBranch

19. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    The brick floor in the base of the signalbox has been laid using the sand from ashbrooks and recovered bricks from the original loco shed that had been filling the pits roads in as well as a load John gained too

The access to the box has been levelled and filled with recovered stone to make a better way in

Attention next turns to both finishing the chimney off as well as repairing the darley chimney which has lost one of its H pipe parts, small job for next time in the Loco shed with the welder then we can get on with fitting the nameboards and internal fittings in the upstairs and making it more presentable to the public , then back onto bigger bits of engineering work outside.

Elsewhere mencap have been tidying up the site, the permanent way have dropped 36 sleepers off at darley loop for relaying and two of the seacow waggons have been loaded with ballast to follow up this work, Stuart tells me also that the extended shed road pit is now screwed down and there may be another road resurrected at a future date out the back of the shed to get that bit more space too

Loco wise work on the prairie boiler and firebox continues as does Warringtons boiler and firebox and I noted the Hawthorn Leslie has a roof ready to be fitted next too, the class 25 air systems are slowly being solved off all the niggles and has had a few trial runs to make sure things are getting there nicely.

David notes that Spondon was running a rail train on the Ashover Light Railway groups line as they’ve been extending their sidings and line, a small picture attached

Attached Files:

20. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    Had a few days midweek down the line, mostly doing my own departments stuff like replacing the darley box chimney with a new one fabricated up by rod our fabricator which should last a bit longer now plus a lot of maintenance and some renewal works

The shed gang continue with boiler works , I ended up giving a small hand which is good as a small hand (no pun) was needed in the mud hole door getting old bits of tube out. The class 25’s air brakes are all reported as Working and hopefully soon a trial run on the line

The Ashover light railway gang were also about replacing the wooden sleepers mainline with steel Panel Sections back down towards the old formation of the DDNGR.

Apart from that the Permanent way assisted by Allianz engineers have replaced all 38 sleepers at darley that were laid out for renewal last week, not bad for a days work and thank goodness the weather held off, darley looked busy with both them and also the station team tidying up too.

Lastly work on RS8 under Mr Briddon’s care over at Tunstead progresses nicely now she has transfers and full paint applied, she’s due to leave Tunstead Soon so hopefully more Of her soon but for now here’s Mr Briddon’s update from the latest blog

https://jobs.weekendrails.co.uk/blog/of-paint-and-plate.html

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    Bluenosejohn likes this.