If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Peak Rail General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by kestreleyes, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Midlandsouthern

Midlandsouthern New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I like the style of the lever frame, quite different to normal lever frame, what type is it and how big a frame? as it looks incomplete

2. kestreleyes

kestreleyes Well-Known Member

signal engineer
  3. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    It’s a turnover frame ex LMS barrow hill south, the other half wasn’t known to exist when we gained it but later we were put in touch with the current owners of it, we did go through discussions to acquire it but one of the caveat s was that they could have it back as and when they wanted which makes no sensible case for purchasing it and installing it to then have to lose it at anytime so it wasn’t pursued.

4. Midlandsouthern

Very interesting frame. Its looks abit different to handle compared to normal levers. Strange condition on having that half of the frame, but least you know where it is if it ever did become available properly for purchase to add to the half you have installed already

5. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    73295B07-B161-4A6A-A297-4DCE0CC3BA7D.jpeg

ITs designed to work a continous wire rather than having a heavy channel or round rods to drive points, this means less weight to shiftand smaller levers ,also the movement is balanced by some pretty big weights so that the wireiskept in constant tension against expansion and contractions of hot and cold, thus the lever size is really attributed to the pull of the wheel it’s attached to, if the lever was bigger the lever would be a nightmare to use as it turns over itself when used.

If you google german wire frames or Victoria signalling youl find loads on them

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
    Midlandsouthern and Bluenosejohn like this.
  6. Midlandsouthern

I shall have a bigger research look and sounds like a much more simplier easier frame to use and operate. Had a look last night at the frames rowsley and barrowhill areas had small groupling of them, but use was quite limited over the midland region

7. Breva

Breva Well-Known Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Isn't this the same system as the Siemens type in Germany?

140-4011_IMG.JPG
    A private signal box, which the stationmaster took over when the DB closed his line.
    Frame in the foreground, block apparatus in the background.

8. huochemi

huochemi Part of the furniture

Or Thailand? Suitable for a non-Europe picture puzzle, name the station - easy if you can read Thai. :cool:

Attached Files:

9. Greenway

Greenway Part of the furniture

[​IMG]

Those familiar with the film "Closely Observed Trains" will have seen this type of signal lever, which can be seen behind the young recruit Milos, in use at the station. He is supervised by his womanizer colleague Hubicka.
    A fascinating film, with a lot of railway content particularly if you like European railways.

Miff, TommyD and Bluenosejohn like this.
  10. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    0C4B657C-0605-42E0-8D3A-1B8C09F2A71E.jpeg They get around worldwide quite a lot those frame designs

Small update this week as occupied elsewhere but put an evening in on Friday at Rowsley, helping out with setting up for the 40s event,including putting wings on an ME109 and painting on the signal box

More painting on Rowsley box continues,Bill has been busy with David on the downstairs window glazing, Rod has been working on the stairs which are nearly done, John has apart from many other things,been busy on the door and getting this internally ready.

We’ve some woodwork to do up at darley next time on some platform boards, I also noted an inspection saloon coach I saw being overhauled up at Rowsley, the side panels have been removed and the wooden frame has been primed up.

Attached Files:

TommyD, Stan loco and Bluenosejohn like this.
  11. kestreleyes

signal engineer
  12. Midlandsouthern

Whos is the saloon belong too? Is it staying on the line

13. daveannjon

daveannjon Well-Known Member

Waterman Trust, BR built and very dismantled last time I looked. I don't know about it's future.
    Dave

14. FearOfManchester

FearOfManchester Member

Just heard that the millers Dale station buildings are getting renovated to cater for the increased use of the trail, including an information centre and a cafe, to what degree they are getting restored is unclear. Good initial news though.

Sheff and Bluenosejohn like this.
  15. daveannjon

daveannjon Well-Known Member

16. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    06066018-4C92-4A86-AC69-6839E199EED5.jpeg 0146413E-4853-4A5E-BB6E-719EFD0758AB.jpeg B959A526-AE5A-42E8-B85F-E0CD91696DF1.jpeg 06066018-4C92-4A86-AC69-6839E199EED5.jpeg the scaffolding at millersdale on the viaducts has also gone up now too

Back down the line bit of woodwork for my department this week

Peter Deborah and John have been working on improving the link between darley and rowsley exchanges by putting in a digital system,which has required some on the ground work adding resistors into the lineside telephones and installing modems and such electrickery in the exchange at darley, the work is ongoing but some of the phones have been converted over now and more will follow in coming weeks, thanks to Peter,Deborah and John for this

We’ve had a change of work this week away from the box at rowsley as the platform boards on the up starter at darley had been reported as being loose and with age starting to bow upwards,John brought some 2 inch thick boards down midweek and Andrew David and myself cut and replaced these yesterday just before it rained, the boards this time have been cracked together underneath in groups of threes for stability to stop them rocking about and numbered such for ease of putting back, I’m down Wednesday again and will weather permitting creosote them then ,there’s also a thin filling in piece of strip to add against the signal where there’s a gap, il sort that same time and possibly replace the extreme lhs board with a fill in of concrete mix to make it more level as the board is outside the hole and leans downhill.

Wednesdays work will be then back up at rowsley box, the chains that go around the lever frame need bolting onto the levers and there’s still a bolt to free off with a gas bottle downstairs to do, plus other bits.

On other notes David Lathrope has repainted darley crossing targets and lamps for us.

Hopefully the sun will return soon

jnc and Bluenosejohn like this.
  17. FearOfManchester

FearOfManchester Member

Ah, I knew that the north viaduct was getting some work, there was a application for it that I put on here some months ago, never heard anything since, good to see it's happening, do you know if they will open the viaduct for people to walk on, or is this remedial?

18. Midlandsouthern

Good to see the out of use viaduct being brought back to life and not got an abandoned feel to it,
    How bad a condition is it in, im guessing it never been touched since line closure

19. FearOfManchester

FearOfManchester Member

It's been in a pretty poor state as long as I can remember, don't recall it ever being given any TLC either, oddly enough the viaduct that is out of use (north viaduct) is the younger of the two, being constructed when the station expanded in 1905, though the original 1860's (south viaduct) did get some strengthening round the time the second was constructed, but it is still a full 40 odd years older, and it's the one in use, pretty ironic, though it is the tried and true arch construction, the newer one is box construction and they didn't fare well with time. They both haven't seen a coat of paint in a long time frankly.

20. petec

petec New Member

Not so long ago as you may think, mind you it would be about 15 years ago that the "old" viaduct was renovated with shot blasting and a new coat of paint.
    The "new" viaduct was opened temporarily for walkers while the work took place.
    Perhaps they'll both be in use when these latest renovations are finished