If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Peak Rail General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by kestreleyes, Nov 22, 2009.

1. kestreleyes

kestreleyes Well-Known Member

signal engineer
    Missed that luv, mind you my son was more intent on finding the local rabbit population

Nice pics, are you posting any on Facebook at all?

2. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    Friday on my own department was a day of fitting cladding boards and making the window surrounds ,which though looking easy takes a long time to get the first one right before moving on, the rear will be done the coming weekend, there’s stil, some purlins to notch in so they’re the right distance from the metalwork to mount the cladding, then the window surrounds to traditional MR style and then complete the cladding around the side, after that we need to procure some more cladding so in the meantime it’s back to other jobs on the box like the steel beam underneath and the wires and chains to attach to the frame.

Had a quick chat with the shed gang who were busy fitting out air pipes and connections to the class 25. The HST gang also had their locos out for a check over as it’s their first event of the year next weekend 12&13th May .

http://heritageshuntertrust.wixsite.com/hst1

Attached Files:

48624 and Bluenosejohn like this.
  3. kestreleyes

signal engineer
  4. philw2

philw2 Member

Technical question: why didn't you start boarding at the bottom an d then you could have secret-nailed it?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

5. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    If we’d had enough good boards we may have done, however we’ve only enough non split boards to maybe get about two foot off the floor on the front only if we’re lucky, the majority recovered are laterally split from there’s previous life on luffenham and dArley, (out of both boxes there were only so many reusable boards not completely split or rotted) out of the last five good boards we have and twelve split boards, those boards will just give enough to be able to cut down an eight foot board into one 2 foot piece to go either side of the window and give enough long boards to go above the window in one go,

yep only one out of the whole eight foot piece as by the time you’ve removed and trimmed an inch of the bad end,what’s left before the split gives just one board, at that rate we should just get the rear done the same as the front which then leaves us potentially with either 16 or 20 boards to purchase, I don’t wish to use split boards ,it wouldn’t Ben watertight and would look a mess, they aren’t the usual 150mm wide boards you get anywhere either, they're 200mm which puts the price for around 16-20 off somewhere in the 200-400 pounds mark, not including delivery, that’s just for basic machining too,no grooves, now you can see why we used up what we had first hence top down, as the very top boards were already still on the old structure to start with,

as with the bottom boards on the front, we may end up using the recovered bricks to make the bit where the wires come out from if it saves time etc, plus at the end of the day we’ve been used screws not nails so we can get them off again should we ever need to,if we’d nailed them they’d be that damaged when they get removed the costs would be even greater in the future.

Bluenosejohn likes this.
  6. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

I know nothing of Midland box construction but surely the cladding would be lap boards rather than T&G, to allow individual boards to be changed later? (Maybe that’s what you meant, but it didn’t sound like it here.)

Last edited: May 10, 2018
    dwr7903 likes this.
  7. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    I thought that originally too, they are actually featherboards, but with a tongue on the top to lap in Under the above adjacent board, from the outside they slope outward, now you can get 150mm featherboArds from wickes or any woodyard as that’s what a lot of fences are now , they’re still dear and if you want the long lengths the same as the box front and sides then you have to go to a woodyard as everything else is designed for a standard six foot fence, but those boards are both thinner and shorter too, ironically I’ve found a lot more London based suppliers of the traditional thick 200mm boards same as the signalbox boards so from what I can surmise they match a lot of the wooden buildings you’d see in Kent,Sussex and the Home Counties done in featherboard, there’s more traditional wood barns down there than say in the Midlands, i know of a few up round Yorks and Lincolnshire but mainly everyone else has the wriggly tin varieties of say barns and outbuildings, the suppliers I’ve found so far would happily just angle saw a standard plank in half cross corner to make the featherboard and then we’d have to rout our own tongue which isn’t undoable, but again it’s costs in delivery etc, time etc.

It’s all a learning curve, as with most things old,what was done by the hundreds years ago easily in railway factories ,Is now a bit of a rare thing to replicate easily

pmh_74 and Bluenosejohn like this.
  8. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    THis chaps video does a good explanation. , also a good cheat which I have considered

Bluenosejohn likes this.
  9. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    Some information courtesy of the Heritage Shunters via Facebook regarding the weekends shunter line up

Gala Update 1800 10/05/2018

Following the examination and preparation of our shunters today we can confirm (subject to the usual caveats) that the following roster will take place this weekend on both days. D2205 was started this afternoon but seemed to be suffering from fuel starvation, this is expected to be rectified in time for this weekends events. D2284 is standing by......

1000 - 1200 D2953 & D2854

1200 - 1400 03113 & D2205

1400 - 1600 07001 & 08016

With thanks to the HST gang for that

10. crantock

crantock Member

Beancounter
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    How trainspoterish 01, 02, 03, 04, 07, 08 in order:)

Must get up early then. And a quick google search reveals D2205 is a code for a wedding dress design. Not what I was expecting to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    Watch out if you’re coming from the M1. The northbound has engineering works on over weekend, apparently so local radio said today there was also a breakdown on the diversion and an accident that had to be craned out . Welcome to Hell twinned with the M1

12. oddsocks

oddsocks Well-Known Member

Retired / Dodging a Coffin for as long as I can.
    Half a mile east of Snells Nook Halt. (1883-1931)
  13. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    Andrew and myself carried on yesterday fitting out the last of the original featherboards and completed more of the front and used up what good bits was left of the split boards to fill in the sides on the rear, we also did some sealing around and cleaning the old paint off.

While we look to getting some more featherboards ordered to finish the box off, attention will turn onto connecting up the lever frame and the weights downstairs, but we need to finish fixing the steel rail beam downstairs first so we can winch up the weights a little more before we can remove the supporting sleepers under the weights and let the wires to the points take up the slack.

It was also the Heritage Shunters Trust gala up at Rowsley and whilst I didn’t get any decent pics as wanted to get the box boards finished I can post some courtesy of Mr S Graves who has kindly let me post a few of his, I did manage to talk to one of the Ashover light railway chaps and will have some more news on their works soon, they were doing some point work on their shed approach.

Attached Files:

14. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    2A07D424-B3D7-4335-BFDC-C53768796874.jpeg S and t

We started to fit the chains between the outside world and the lever frame yesterday ,bit more badging to do yet,move a few pulley wheels around and such, we also attended changing the rail oilers piston over and fitted some support brackets to the rail beam under rowsley cabin.

Rowsley

Electrical work is due next on the class25s list, I also gave the Ashover light railway chaps a hand fitting in a new connection to their shed as the pointwork is being remodelled, the LMSCA chaps were busy working on the MR brake and speaking of brakes the HST chaps were undertaking restoration work and repainting on both their brakes which they use for their events too.

Attached Files:

Copper-capped and Bluenosejohn like this.
  15. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    I’ve been sent some unfortunate news regarding a long term member of the railway, Mr Arthur Dudson, famous for hand drawing up all the permanent way plans ,I recall Arthur made over forty alterations to the Matlock plans alone,all by hand,his expertise was something to behold

His family have expressed that all who knew him are welcome to attend his funeral,the details are below:

The funeral of Arthur Dudson will take place at Crematorium on City Road in Sheffield at 1.45p.m. on Tuesday 6th June.

Everyone is welcome to attend.

16. dggar

dggar New Member

A sad loss , A very nice chap. RIP.

17. daveannjon

daveannjon Well-Known Member

18. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    If it was built in the early nineties you’d have stood a chance using the old goods yards for a carpark and could have put the platforms back easily with an access onto the old midland road And back of the coop, however unless you compulsory purchase the site there’s no point as it’s the only place capable of any space in chapel upon the line now that doesn’t affect residential use where you could have a carpark, everywhere else Is on a banking or over everyone’s houses,

Signalling wise you’d need to put an extra signal in if you did it as you’re in the overlap of the points 356/357the crossovers at chapel and thus blocking up the junction a bit for traffic, then again Chinley Psb could handle the alteration it’s just what it would do to the busy freight traffic, it’d be like putting back the signalling there used to be in the 60s there then

You could always run it to Buxton of course
    Or better still create a Sheffield to Buxton service like 5ere used to be

TommyD likes this.
  19. FearOfManchester

FearOfManchester Member

Now that would be handy! Couldn't tell you how many times I've had to park at chinley (often leaving the car overnight) to get to Sheffield.

20. kestreleyes

signal engineer
    Upcoming slideshow information;

For a requested £3 donation on the door, all welcome to:

Monday 4 June 2018 at 7:30pm
    "Big Diesels in the Landscape" - digital - Duncan McEvoy (York)

With the last pockets of diesel-worked mainline services in France rapidly disappearing Duncan would hire a car, carefully plot good photo locations with Google earth, and then patiently wait to get these delightful 'train in the landscape' shots.I saw this show at the NRM where it was well received. I hope you enjoy this show as much as I did.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Presented by: Peak Railway Association (Sheffield Branch) at
    The Harlequin Pub (upstairs function room)
    108 Nursery St, Sheffield S3 8GG

bus routes 3, 7, 8, 8a, 83 and 83a stop near the front door.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

David Sharp
    Peak Railway Association, Sheffield Branch

future branch programme and directions to The Harlequin, can be found at:
    http://www.peakrail.co.uk/SheffieldBranch

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Aizlewoods Mill car park. The menacing parking notices are to tackle daytime abuse. Aizlewoods confirm Harlequin patrons can continue to park in evenings. 'Policing' only done by Aizlewoods staff (who finish at 1700). The London security firm is used just to process any parking notices instigated by Aizlewoods.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~