If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Peak Rail at Matlock.

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by 46118, Sep 16, 2007.

1. Mike Delamar

Mike Delamar Member

and another

[video=youtube;yB46R5J3Lnw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB46R5J3Lnw[/video]

2. dggar

dggar New Member

It will run on a bit of a 20 mile stretch of railway (ie track bed) between Matlock and Buxton

3. Mike Delamar

Mike Delamar Member

and another

[video=youtube;oAaWV8G55lg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAaWV8G55lg[/video]

4. Mike Delamar

Mike Delamar Member

5. daveannjon

daveannjon Well-Known Member

So good to see a 'proper' train in Matlock station. I believe PR's and EMT's trains with one exception won't normally be in the station at the same time, so you've photographed the exception.

Hmm, PR passengers join the 153, then EVR passengers try to join at Duffield - bigger trains required?

Dave

6. daveannjon

daveannjon Well-Known Member

Seems Sainsbury's café ran out of food at one stage. We've certainly never had so many visitors make the trek down to the LMSCA carriage shed at Rowsley. It was good to see one of the real heroes ex-17D man Derek Ankers being asked to unveil the Roger Bennett Workshop on Sunday. There's more good news on the way too but I'm sure that will come from official sources soon.

Dave

7. cct man

cct man Part of the furniture

CONSTRUCTION
    Well done to all at Peak Rail , a magnificent effort from all concerned.

What with the turntable, the new shed and now access to N R rails, my own view is that I can see P R becoming a stabling point for main line excursions.

What do others think please?

best regards
    Chris:

8. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Be nice if this happened - apparently VSOE run a fair few tours to Chesterfield for onward coach tours to Chatsworth and Haddon Halls etc. These would be better served by terminating at Rowsley if PR can offer a suitable stabling/servicing facility at the right price.

9. philw2

philw2 Member

Congratulations to PR.

Excellent PR PR on Railway Herald too!

10. Ianb47306

Ianb47306 New Member

Student
    I can confirm that VSOE run quite a few tours to Chesterfield (for Chatsworth) as these currently come to Barrow Hill for servicing. Whilst it will be Barrow Hill's loss I do agree that these trips would be better going to Rowsley for servicing (for a variety of reasons, apart from the proximity to Chatsworth), however is the line from Ambergate to Matlock passed for use by class 66s and 67s?

As an aside, if the Derwent Valley Line can carry locos with high axle loadings, does anyone know if PR would consider upgrading/replacing the bridge at Matlock Riverside to allow larger locomotives up to Rowsley?

11. Ianb47306

Ianb47306 New Member

Student
    Also can I say well done to everyone at Peak Rail. I travelled on the second train to Matlock on Friday and I was very impressed with what has been achieved in such a short time period. (Pictures to follow when I get around to it).

I can only look forward to what Matlock station might become given a little more time. Hopefully you will see a good increase in passengers for all the efforts that went into the extension.

12. Sheff

AFAIK the branch is OK for 66s as I believe they were on the works trains during the recent upgrading works and Matlock mods. I wouldn't want to see BH loose any work either, but part of me wants to see PR take off after being a member for 35 very long years!

13. Ianb47306

Ianb47306 New Member

Student
    Good news re 66s then. I presume 67s would still be overweight though.

Without wishing it to come across the wrong way, I think BH could manage without the VSOE. We're just about to lose Nemesis Rail who were a much bigger customer I'd say and I believe the vacancy left by them has already been filled with little fuss.

Apart from that, I too would really like to see PR take off just to prove all the doubters wrong.

14. Ianb47306

Ianb47306 New Member

Student
  15. dggar

dggar New Member

Presumablely this could only happen an a Sunday. On weekdays and Saturday the line between Ambergate and Matlock is occupied every hour between xx:08 and xx:50 by EMT.

16. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

I dont see why - if NR did enough work to allow 60's and 66's up to Matlock i'd be surprised if the axle loading isnt high enough for a 67.

Chris

17. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

Echoeing other comments, I saw the 16-11 departure from Matlock on Sunday. Well filled, and generally plenty of folk around. Much credit due to the PR people for their speedy organising of the rehab. of platform 2, which looks very smart.

Long may the popularity of starting a PR journey at Matlock continue.

I hate to say this, but the current top-and-tail steam operation does require 100% availability of the fleet!... Any plans chaps?

18. bluediamondman

bluediamondman New Member

I was guard on the train last Sunday and it was busy ALL DAY. There was a terrific "buzz" at each visit into Matlock Platform 2.
    For the remainder of July at least, services are being top and tailed by steam (J94 68013) and diesel Class 31 (31270).

19. Ianb47306

Ianb47306 New Member

Student
    Personally I'd say thats great news.

Just make sure you advertise the fact as obviously you don't want any passengers turning up and being dissapointed its the 31. Equally you could see an increase in visitors with diesel enthusiasts coming for a trip.

Do you know which end each loco will be by any chance? I'm planning on doing a one way trip in a few weeks and I'd far rather have the 31 this time.

20. Sheff

Hopefully the Austerity will be at the Rowlsey end, so it can do a bit of work up the slope.