If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Peak Rail Annual Report and Action Group

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by huochemi, Aug 11, 2017.

  1. jnc

    jnc Member

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2012
    Messages:
    785
    Likes Received:
    845
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Western Atlantic
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Maybe they've been too busy keeping members they don't like from renewing...

    Noel
     
    John Crosskey likes this.
  2. Vulcan Works

    Vulcan Works New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2018
    Messages:
    47
    Likes Received:
    92
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    England
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Yes, I would think the Old Guard is busy planning how to engineer the PRA AGM to avoid meaningful debate.

    If it's anything like previous years there will be some waffle to mask the fact that nothing of significance has been achieved and some vague statements about 'listening to members' whilst doing nothing to modernise the organisation. And as per the PLC (remember, some people sit on both Boards to ensure there's no dissent), no business case or actions will be published hence there's nothing meaningful to report progress against. That would smack of accountability and expose people to criticism if/when they failed to deliver...And history shows that people will go to extraordinary lengths to protect their positions!

    I'm actually looking forward to this years AGM...:)
     
    jnc and Sheff like this.
  3. John Crosskey

    John Crosskey New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2018
    Messages:
    13
    Likes Received:
    4
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Caernarfon
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    To put the record straight. H. F-J was not taken to court (that makes a change!). DDNGR was threatened with eviction because the railway no longer ran. However, that was not due, either to Henry's health, or lack of volunteers (which were the "official reasons") given out by PR, but because, early in 2015 PR cancelled the Public Liability Insurance cover for the DDNGR. As for volunteers there were plenty there late September 2014 when I visited the railway!
     
    JayDee likes this.
  4. John Baritone

    John Baritone New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2018
    Messages:
    140
    Likes Received:
    132
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Buxton
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Actually, it isn't a loop; contrary to the bragging of the GCR, that stretch of the line is double track, and worked between Darley Dale and Church Lane Boxes using BR 'Penguins':

    upload_2018-10-27_19-7-4.png

    (combined pegging instrument, non-pegging instrument, commutator, bell and tapper)

    That would mean crossing a train from the Up line to the Down line in the middle of a block section, as both Darley Dale and Church Lane are block posts. As well as installing the crossover, at the very least it would need to be worked by a ground frame with a release from Darley Dale - and I'm not sure how trains could be signalled for the move. The only alternative I can think of would be to do it by Darley Dale blocking back to Church Lane, and carrying it out as a shunting move - but that might require the crossover to be fitted with shunt dummy signals, and the point worked from Darley Dale Box. Pretty complicated, whichever way you went about it.
     
  5. Forestpines

    Forestpines Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2009
    Messages:
    1,339
    Likes Received:
    1,680
    Location:
    Bristol
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I'm not convinced that block instrument is operational!

    People sometimes have a tendency to say "our block posts are here and here so you can't add stuff at X because it can't be signalled", as if the block section limits and method of operation are set in stone and have been since the Ordovician era. The real answer is "in order to add stuff at X we would need to redesign the signalling" - add an extra outer home and advance starter to extend station limits so the crossover can be added within station limits; an extra starter too; an FPL on one end of the new crossover; a shunt signal at the other end. Then you know how much bigger a frame you need (at least 5 levers I'd think, 6 with mechanical points), how much extra outside equipment, and whether the idea is at all feasible. I am guessing "no" on this one!

    Incidentally I don't know how long the section in question is, but the SVR has a similar stretch of double track at Bewdley and trains do get run round there on occasion. I suspect you would end up running round with the stock in the arrival platform, propelling it out empty and drawing forward into the departure platform. Depending on the section length it might take about 20 minutes if you don't need to take water. At Arley on the SVR, with everything controlled by one box, doing the same move routinely takes 15 minutes.
     
  6. John Baritone

    John Baritone New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2018
    Messages:
    140
    Likes Received:
    132
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Buxton
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Why do you say that? Both the instruments at Darley Dale and Church Lane were fully functioning when I worked there.
    But I didn't say that, did I? On the contrary, I said that, if you wanted to put a cross-over in part way through the existing block section, it would need significant changes / additions to the signalling; I neither said nor implied that it could not nor should not be done.

    If you want to criticise others who have taken such a 'set in stone' view, be my guest - but don't put their words into my mouth, and then use them to try and knock me down.
     
  7. Forestpines

    Forestpines Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2009
    Messages:
    1,339
    Likes Received:
    1,680
    Location:
    Bristol
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Look at the photo you posted. On a properly working block instrument, the needle on the lower instrument should reflect what is pegged. The instrument in the photo has been pegged to train on line but the needle is still at normal - clearly it is not working.

    Let's go back to what you said, then. Someone - a while ago - suggested putting a crossover in, in a location which (I assume) would be in a block section. Your first reaction was:

    In other words: your first reaction is to keep the limits of the section in the same place and devise some method of adding a ground frame midway through the section, rather than change the limits of the block section.

    If you want to accuse someone of putting words into your mouth, it is a good idea to check first that you haven't already expressed the opinions in question.
     
    35B and Jamessquared like this.
  8. Stan loco

    Stan loco New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2016
    Messages:
    44
    Likes Received:
    31
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    lancashire
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    yDee said:
    The chap who owned it (it was mostly a one man band affair) got into a spat with Peak Rail management when he fell ill and was taken to court, then ordered to quit the site. Something he was not in a state to do due to severe illness.

    The Ashover Light Railway Society was originally expected (mostly by the owner of the DDNGR) to run his operation or join him (it's not clear in the Narrow Gauge World issue that talks about all this) but the ALRS is very much its own affair and has plans for the Over the Rainbow cafe among other things. Something which would fit well into the PRAG vision, namely expansion of catering and other "secondary spend" ideas to raise funds.

    The gentleman who owned all of it has now passed away, last I heard, so the matter is up to his estate so far as I am aware.




    --------------

    This is not the place to lay out the full facts of the finals days of the DDNG railways operations.

    Being a member volunteer of Peak Rail, Ashover Light railway and other satelite groups based at Peak rail for quite some time now is right to clarify some points. My own personal facts and representing no other group or individual,

    How do I know ? I was there.

    1 The Ashover NG group have not commented on matters occuring at PR or DDNG. The Ashover group were invited onto the railway by the DDNG, They have contributed considerably to assist DDNG with structures and traction repairs.

    2 PR have not commented on matters occuring with DDNG.
    2015 onwards PR invited the DDNG railway directors to numerous meetings for over two years in writing and by personal request, DDNG directors avoided, declined meeting with the board of PR resulting in them being issued with a notice to leave site there was no alternative.

    I offered numerous times to take them and attend meetings with them.

    3 The directors of DDNG had been suffering from ill health for some time with Henry sadly passing this year.

    4 There were actually no volunteers early from early 2015 onwards. Just me and Henry. Every other Sunday would bring him to railway for over one year untill his health and accidents on railway forced his hand .

    5 The reason the DDNG stopped operating was due to Henrys health. I was at a discussion with him when advised he could no longer be responsible for the operation of the service due to his health and also unfortunately having to surrender driving licence.

    6 PR withdrew NG insurance due to the above as it could not operate in any case.

    7 I attended a meeting recently with Henrys widow Mary and PR joint director to discuss the DDNG infrastructure and rolling stock. An agreement was made for the track , platform etc to be sold at a nominal price to PRA/PR to enable future use and good will of all those who can continue with running the NG line they created. I understand the agreement has concluded. Henry and Marys legacy will continue.

    8 Currently there are life long friends of Henry and Mary organising the sale of their rolling stock and accessories etc.

    9 Ruston loco to remain at railway to be named Henry.

    10 Thank you to all those who have helped in different ways to resolve this difficult situation.

    11 Will not be making any further comment on this issue.

    12 Henrys still closer to the NG line than most realise :)

    13. PEACE
     
  9. daveannjon

    daveannjon Member

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2006
    Messages:
    902
    Likes Received:
    201
    Location:
    Waiting for the Right Away
    It's a gift in life if you have the awareness to realise there are some things you won't be able to achieve. Henry's dream of moving his railway to Strathpeffer, and that PR volunteers would do the work was never, ever going to happen, given that his volunteers had moved on long ago.

    Sad, but there you are.

    RIP Henry.

    Dave
     
    jnc likes this.
  10. weltrol

    weltrol Member

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2008
    Messages:
    1,824
    Likes Received:
    204
     
  11. weltrol

    weltrol Member

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2008
    Messages:
    1,824
    Likes Received:
    204
    I could replicate that photo with several block instruments sat on a display shelf in a museum. The instrument is clearly NOT on a blockshelf, and it does not display a section/adjacent box label on it.
     
  12. Vulcan Works

    Vulcan Works New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2018
    Messages:
    47
    Likes Received:
    92
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    England
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    An interesting update on Weekend Rails about a report of further costs incurred in the Grinsty Rail saga.

    The wasted money could have been spent on paying for a professional revamp of PR's woeful website or social media presence, for example.

    Cheerleaders for the current PR regime might like to reflect on the fact that the staff, shareholder and members will be putting a tremendous effort in to running the Santa trains but any profit will be wiped out because of the Directors' behaviour...

    www.weekendrails.co.uk/blog/of-drills-and-avonsides
     
    John Crosskey and jnc like this.
  13. Martin Adalar

    Martin Adalar New Member

    Joined:
    May 2, 2018
    Messages:
    87
    Likes Received:
    28
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    5D
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Why on earth would anyone even think of wasting money putting a crossover between Darley Dale and Church Lane just to run a train around when you can do that now by just having A.B. between the the two boxes and running up trains on the up line and down trains on the down line? It is oh so simple.
     
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    Forestpines likes this.
  14. John Crosskey

    John Crosskey New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2018
    Messages:
    13
    Likes Received:
    4
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Caernarfon
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    See my reply below!
     
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
  15. John Crosskey

    John Crosskey New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2018
    Messages:
    13
    Likes Received:
    4
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Caernarfon
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Henry was only proposing to loan some of his equipment to Strathpeffer due to the impossible situation that had been created at Rowsley.
     
  16. John Crosskey

    John Crosskey New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2018
    Messages:
    13
    Likes Received:
    4
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Caernarfon
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer

    Possibly because this person (Paul Wilson) might have his own agenda?

    I do not propose going into great detail, all I will say is there are errors in points 1, 2 it was yourself that told me the (very legitimate reason for Henry to refuse), 4 is questionable, 5 (I have a copy of the letter Henry received from PR he sent it to me when he received it). I have already given reason. 6, cart before horse! 7. Not my understanding of what took place, backed up by following correspondence!
     
  17. DcB

    DcB New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2018
    Messages:
    88
    Likes Received:
    22
    Location:
    Surrey
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Be good something happens before the NG track starts to deteriorate without maintenance.
    Can someone confirm if Henry's widow has sold it so perhaps the ALRS can start using it to run trains and fundraise in 2019 now Bachmann have started Ashover model trains and the get the rainbow cafe rebuilt.
     
  18. John Crosskey

    John Crosskey New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2018
    Messages:
    13
    Likes Received:
    4
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Caernarfon
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Unlike some people who say this isn't the place to discuss the current state of play with DDNGR and then go on to list 13 points, I do not propose to comment on what is, after all, a private matter.
     
    nine elms fan likes this.
  19. Stan loco

    Stan loco New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2016
    Messages:
    44
    Likes Received:
    31
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    lancashire
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Unlike some people who say this isn't the place to discuss the current state of play with DDNGR and then go on to list 13 points, I do not propose to comment on what is, after all, a private matter.
    ---------------

    Mr Crosskey. Assuming i'm "some people" please read my post again.
    It does not say "this isnt the place to discuss the current state of play with DDNGR"

    Please I like to keep to the facts.

    For those who are menbers volunteers of PR and groups based at PR for years know who stan loco is.

    It might come as a surprise to some who had not lifted a stick at the railway for years.

    If I can help you out in any way with the sales of Marys ,DDNG stock and equipement let me know. Happy to help.

    Regards Paul "stan loco"

    Peace
     
  20. Vulcan Works

    Vulcan Works New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2018
    Messages:
    47
    Likes Received:
    92
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    England
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Welcome to 2019! This thread has been quiet but the Peak Rail pantomime continues...

    The Derbyshire Dales Narrow Gauge Railway situation wasn't well handled by PR and the problems continue. PR made a below-market-value offer and tried to swiftly secure the sale of some of the assets. Whatever the motive, suffice to say that a PR Board member was subsequently interviewed by Derbys Police following a complaint about their (alleged) behaviour in the matter.

    The shenanigans continued. The police attended Rowsley South during an attempt by the Agent of the Estate to remove DDNGR property which the Ashover Light Rly and PR objected to (tangled up in circumstances surrounding the above offer) but which the Estate is entitled to do. PR has since changed the site access padlock combinations and welded plates to prevent gates from being lifted from their posts. In doing so access was denied to the Heritage Shunters Trust shed. PR has therefore upset the Frampton-Jones Estate, Ashover Light Rly and HST. The grapevine says that HST does not now intend to provide motive power for the upcoming PR maintenance work.

    Other recent matters include the Grinsty Affair, which continues unresolved and racking up legal costs. Shareholders, you might well ask how and why PR is funding two lots of solicitors in separate disputes with Grinsty and the Briddons.

    I've become aware of a long standing volunteer who has now withdrawn their valued services because of unpaid invoices and stonewalling by PR despite attempts to resolve the matter. Shareholders, you might well ask why PR management continually behaves so poorly and why another stalwart volunteer has been driven away.

    Santa didn't deliver to Shareholders an explanation of our President's role, his powers, and the concessions made to secure a 'mystery donation'. Nor did he tell us the progress of the rebuilding consortium, timescales or actions (there wasn't even a report in the Autumn Peak Express).

    I can't wait to see the Board's spin on the 2018 Annual Accounts!

    Sent from my iPad
     

Share This Page