If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Paignton & Dartmouth rly

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by sturdon, Sep 10, 2009.

1. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer

Lovely picture Stu, can I just ask in general, it looks like from this picture and others that the window frames are painted chocolate, or another browny colour, definitely not cream - what is the reason for this? I've got nothing personally against it, actually I quite like it, but why? or have I been painting window frames wrong...:rolleyes:

2. Stu in Torbay

Stu in Torbay Part of the furniture

GPS Navigation Engineer
    This is PDSRs own variation, they've done this for a number of years. Not sure why - I would have thought it makes for extra work. Apparently they are starting to repaint stock in the right livery...

3. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

I wonder if it's to hide dirt more ?, the corners around the windows seem to accumulate it much more than anywhere else, and Cream doesn't exactly hide the fact.

4. Ganger

Ganger Member

Railway Dogsbody
    In the early 1980's the DVR decided to paint the stock on the now SDR in GWR livery and the stock on the Paignton line was to go into correct BR(WR) chocolate and cream. At the same time a number of "new" Mk 1's were purchased from British Rail and these all had the modified windows with the raised frame rather than flush bodyside. The coach painting was undertaken in the running shed at Paignton by one of the drivers, Stan Turner an ex Eastern Region driver from Hornsey depot. Faced with a lot of extra masking up to create the top chocolate band and associated lining, Stan suggested to the General Manager that it would be easier to pick out the window surrounds in chocolate and that the coaches would look more Pullman in style. This was agreed upon and the livery has been carried ever since, although I believe a rake of 4 Mk 1's are at present being outshopped in the correct livery ready for photo charters with 7827 next year. Another little known fact is that during the mid 1990's one Mk 1 was part painted in maroon to establish a new livery, however only one end on one side was done before the idea was dropped.

5. Stu in Torbay

Stu in Torbay Part of the furniture

GPS Navigation Engineer
    Very informative post Ganger, thanks. Will be good to see the authentic MK1s next month

6. JBTEvans

JBTEvans Well-Known Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Been quiet on this thread for a while! Whlist browsing the website I see brake van rides are now available each Friday behind a diesel shunter, could be a long trip behind the 08!

7. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    No I do not currently volunteer