If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Paignton and Dartmouth Railway

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by tuffer5552, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Scorpian04111986

Scorpian04111986 Member

I install Commercial and Domestic Oil Tanks all ov
    You are correct Greenway and from what I gather will arrive at Paignton at about 12:15

2. basher

basher Member

Musician
    From preserved-diesels.co.uk...

Its nice to see the P&DR supporting its diesel crank friends, by allowing them a special rover (the normal twelve pound ticket only allows one single round trip). Hopefully it'll be well patronised, and worth their while making it available. Given that it says that the 25 is working four round trips, I assume that it'll be the usual high season orange timetable, with the steam on the longer diagram (0945, 1115, 1245, 1445 + 1615 ex PGN) and the Rat on the short diagram (1030, 1200, 1400 + 1530 ex PGN). Can anyone confirm this please?

Also, does Thomas get a positioning move up to Kingswear, before the event (and back again afterwards)? Could be worth a photograph, if it does, of it galloping up Goodrington bank!

3. Stu in Torbay

Stu in Torbay Part of the furniture

GPS Navigation Engineer
    I've got a pic of it trundling up to Churston from a few years ago. It does do a positioning move - early in the morning on the Sat if I remember rightly.

4. 83A

83A New Member

Film producer
  5. Stu in Torbay

GPS Navigation Engineer
    Found mine:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. stowmarket

stowmarket New Member

what work is being done on 5239 i saw it in the workshop?
    when i left on wednesday i see that 4277 is back on replacing the manor i assume it was just a switch of loco ?

7. Stu in Torbay

GPS Navigation Engineer
    Not sure, as the mrs said the manor came off during the day, rather than finishing its turns for the day with the 2-8-0T starting the next day. Hope its not broke! Maybe its normal to do this?

8. Roosterrory

Roosterrory Member

Fireman/Fitter at PDSR
    5239 is having some extensive work done on the axleboxes, it is hoped to have her finished just in time for the start off the 2 train running. The leading axle is completed, with 1 box done on the driving axle, which just leaves the other driving axle box and an intermediate box to do, before re assemebly and running in.

7827 was removed from service due to the safety valve casting joint leaking, she was due to be with drawn for washout anyways, but was more practical to get 4277 lit up for the remainder off the day to allow more time for the manor to cool down. She will be ready to replace 4277 in about 3 week's time so don't worry!!!

9. stowmarket

stowmarket New Member

thanks for the update

10. Scorpian04111986

Scorpian04111986 Member

I install Commercial and Domestic Oil Tanks all ov
    Could Tuffer or Rory let us know when this positioning move is

11. Stu in Torbay

GPS Navigation Engineer
    You mentioning a washout for 7827 reminded me that I was going to ask a while ago if the P&DSR have ever looked at Porta water treatment for its fleet? It seems to be yielding good results on 6024. Maybe its not suitable for your kind of operating conditions? Just wondered.

12. Roosterrory

Roosterrory Member

Fireman/Fitter at PDSR
    Not sure to be honest, it may well have been discussed. But the boilers are extremely clean, obvously they're washed out every 21 days steaming as per the norm. The water here is very clean compared to some areas int eh country

13. tuffer5552

tuffer5552 Member

Official Company Press Release

Re: Visit of 60163 Tornado.

Tornado will be running the Torbay Express charters on 5th, 12th, 19th, 26th July and 2nd, 9th August 2009. In the interest of public safety, the police have been informed and any persons/photographer seen trespassing on the line will be prosecuted. Please work with us for a safe and enjoyable spectacle

Tornado is confirmed to haul the first six Torbay Express charters on 5th, 12th, 19th, 26th July and 2nd, 9th August 2009. She will travel on the mainline from Bristol to Paignton, before swapping ‘tracks’ to travel along one of the most picturesque heritage railways in the country to Kingswear.

TIMES:
    Arrives Paignton mainline station at 12:13, departs 12:24
    Arrives Kingswear 12:55

Departs Kingswear 17:17

Arrives Paignton mainline station at 17:45, departs 17:57

Please let's keep it safe and have a good day!

14. ernestgew

ernestgew Member

I like that bit about the police, I'm guessing your expecting lots of photers then! Maybe you should get aClass 37 police loco like in the old BR advert!

15. Stu in Torbay

GPS Navigation Engineer
    There was an article in the Herald Express about this. Unfortunately it read as though you could actually ride behind 60163 on the P&DSR line. Those of us 'in the know' understand this isn't the case, but the P&DSR may find they get a string of people turning up at Paignton to ride behind Tornado who will be dissapointed.

Incidentally, here is that BR advert... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4izQc_IWU2I

16. tfftfftff86

tfftfftff86 Member

"And who's ever heard of a train jam!"

Er, anyone travelling into London Bridge and Cannon St. / Charing X in the morning peak, and vice versa in the evenings.

17. Stu in Torbay

GPS Navigation Engineer
    Yes, I thought that was a bit out of date. didn't have train jams then - how things have changed!

18. ernestgew

ernestgew Member

Yes and also maybe not quite a puncture but I've had a few experiences of flat wheels...

19. tfftfftff86

tfftfftff86 Member

Oh yes they did Stu, oh yes they did. I was in 'em 2-3 times a week. I remember cackling sarcastically the first time I saw that ad. Nothing's changed on the South-East commuter lines except they have flash trains now instead of 40-50 year-old stock.

But hope is on the horizon, and if any over-sentimental Cockney seriously tried to stop the partial demolition of Borough Market where they're widening the bridge, I'd be happy to shake him warmly by the neck.

20. ernestgew

ernestgew Member

Does anyone know whether they plan to have the 25 on the back of the train tomorrow, in case Tornado fails on the slippy rails (thunderstorms predicted) and steep grades?