If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Paignton and Dartmouth Heritage Festival 9-10th May 2009

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Roosterrory, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Alberta 45562

Alberta 45562 Part of the furniture

Train Simulator Developer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Nice to see that the 25 will be working! Wish i could go :(

2. 37255

37255 Guest

3. Scorpian04111986

Scorpian04111986 Member

I install Commercial and Domestic Oil Tanks all ov
    I hear if your really lucky though you'll get cab visits on the manor but obviously thats still to be confirmed

4. ernestgew

ernestgew Member

I was just wondering what the deal with the 25 service on Saturday night is? Is it just a normal service or is it a diner or something? And does it cost extra?

5. 37255

37255 Guest

Well, I was going for the manor ("cab visits if you're lucky") and the rat (one round trip)... Oh well then #-o

6. Scorpian04111986

Scorpian04111986 Member

Ernest I believe from what I've been told the rat service is just an extra train run at the request of the forum users earlier in the thread. I presume it will therefore be included in the "Rover" tickets but you would have to check. It does apparently have info on this service on the website but tis sketchy at best.

As for the manor it may appear but only if something else fails but I'm not going to mention it as it will jinx procedings

7. 37255

37255 Guest

Well it just seems strange frankly to run a gala and feature minimal use of arguably the 2 main attractions!

8. ernestgew

ernestgew Member

OK thanks. Well I'm there working both days at Churston on the miniature railway so will like to go for a ride in the evening. And I suppose the thing with Lydham Manor is to do with crew etc. Remember that they are running Nunney Castle and I'd prefer that any day to Lydham, especially seeing how Lydham is always around and Nunney isn't.

Also people might be interested to know about what we're hoping to have on the portable miniature railway. There should be the Hunslet steam locomotive usually based on the South Devon Miniature Railway at Buckfastleigh and also a Blood and Custard sit a stride coach. We will be running along a 100ft track on the platform on the up side. All is looking pretty good and it'll be nice to visit another railway. Hopefully will see many of you there! =D>

9. 37255

37255 Guest

Certainly valid points, but arguably the idea is to appeal to people visiting specifically for the gala, rather than regular visitors, and whilst the manor has rarely (if at all?) worked elsewhere in preservation, 5029 has, let's face it, been just about everywhere on the western region! That's not to say that there's anything wrong with 5029, simply that it's less unusual...

10. ernestgew

ernestgew Member

Yeh I suppose still I don't think the P+D would turn away using a visiting loco just so they can use a home loco instead. It would have been nice to have the two tender loco's at the same time, but at least we get a visiting loco!

11. Roosterrory

Roosterrory Member

Fireman/Fitter at PDSR
    Well the railway can only spare enough for crews for 3 service engines, bearing in mind there needs to be a crew for the bv rides, workshop and site management etc. As Nunney was here and a 42xx and a 52xx working together is a very rare sight, (and a castle and manor not so rare) the railway thought that would be a better idea. I suspect 7827 will be in service again soon after the weekend is over, now the reapirs are completed.

The Weekend is shaping up to be very interesting for enthusiasts and familie's alike, with plenty to see at Churston in particular. hope to see allot off you there.

12. lickeybanker

lickeybanker Well-Known Member

Retired
    I will be on my way to Devon by about 10 o clock today and looking forward to an enjoyable weekend and hopefully the highlight being a ride behind a Castle.

13. Stu in Torbay

Stu in Torbay Part of the furniture

GPS Navigation Engineer
    I think we have to remember that this is a million times better than nothing, which for many years is what we had. I am contented. OK the manor isn't in steam, but we have to understand the crew limitations, and the decision to run the two 2-8-0Ts together is excellent.

Now, a bit of advance planning for the next event, what about 7827 on a heavy 'summer Saturday' working with a 2-8-0T banking? and perhaps try and have one visiting engine - as we have the manor, what about 9017 then double-head with a Cambrian Cost Express headboard!

See you tomorrow!

14. Roosterrory

Roosterrory Member

Fireman/Fitter at PDSR
    Well we hope it's going to be a very good weekend. Lots off things going on, the weather seems to be nice today so fingers crossed for that. AS has been mentioned on this forum all ready today, name-plates have been removed from the tank engines. Those wishing to see the manor can visit churston tomorrow (where you can also visit the footplate) 4588 has also been dragged out, cleaned and parked on the turntable. Various spares and boiler fittings on show in teh workshop, with plenty goign on in the yard, the platform and the carriage painting shop. We hope to see a vast number of people and maybe meet some off you from on here.

Hope you enjoy the weekend, allot off work's gone into the event, from every area of the railway, so we hope to be rewarded with lots off visitors who will enjoy a great day at the railway.

15. Stu in Torbay

Stu in Torbay Part of the furniture

GPS Navigation Engineer
    looking forward to it. weather set to be better than last year (coudnt really be worse!!)
    one thing intrigues me: on the website it says "There is also the rare opportunity to see double headed steam trains and top and tale trains on this line" but I cant see from the roster which will be top n tail?.......

16. Scorpian04111986

Scorpian04111986 Member

From what I've gathered both of the trips with 4277 and 5239 are double headed once from Paingotn to Kingswear on Saturday then Kingswear to Paignton on Sunday.

It is good to see that they are listening to some ideas from us "Enthusiasts" and I will hopefully be there tommorrow and with a bit of Luck Sunday too.

17. ernestgew

ernestgew Member

I can report that the miniature railway has been succesfully set up tonight, with the track laid and stock delievered. I have the Driver for the miniature sat here with me now and he's rearing to go! Just have to remind him that it's only along Churston platform and not down to Kingswear and back!!! I know he's hoping for a whistle-off with the standard gauge locos, so come and see all the fun on Churston platform! =D>

18. KEYHAMTRAIN

KEYHAMTRAIN Member

19. devon_metro

devon_metro New Member

Fantastic to see Nunney Castle on the line today, with the Torbay Express headboard. Looked and sounded fantastic, as was the freight & double header!!

Looks like the trains were very well loaded, hope to see more of the same soon!

EDIT Some photos taken whilst I had some time in the afternoon. Shame i've got exams, otherwise i'd have got a rover.

http://southwest-railways.50webs.com/090509.htm

Cheers

20. Scorpian04111986

Scorpian04111986 Member

Yes an excellent event they do seem to have made an excellent effort to improve on last year, Well done =D> =D>

I thought 4588 being on the turntable was quite a good idea and dragging 4555 made an interesting chance for it to get some fresh air. :-k

Anyway I had a good time all the same unfortunatley I missed the trip Nunne did with the TE headnoard I think (will need to check pics) as I was having so much fun chatting to the modellers in the Carriage shop.

See you all again tommorrow