If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Paignton and Dartmouth Heritage Festival 9-10th May 2009

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Roosterrory, Feb 10, 2009.

1. sturdon

sturdon New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I would be interested to know how many on this site can remember GWR locos in their original colour schemes. I have been around for some 60+ years and I cannot and I would think 99% of todays passengers would not either.

2. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

How many people remember the Broad Gauge ?, yet Firefly at Didcot is popular, you don't have to remember something to appreciate it.

3. Kerosene Castle

Kerosene Castle Well-Known Member

The ironic thing, is that even if the engines were painted right, you'd still have people moaning that it's not BR. Honestly, life's too short.

A steam engine, working hard through great scenery? ....that'll do me fine.

4. TA

TA New Member

Well the average length of the trains at the PDSR is about 7. Not twelve. And it's not just about the engines its the names on the carriages that astronauts can read from the moon.

And if you consider the fairytale trains at the P&DSR to be real trains...you must have lived a very sheltered life. You want to try travelling behind steam up the Lickey, Shap, Ais Gill, Miles Platting, Copy Pit, etc etc. Try it you might like it!

If your so keen to go, as I said, have a great time. But you are preaching to the unconvertible and while there are many who will agree with you, there are equally as many who will not bother attending or supporting such an event.

5. TA

TA New Member

Absolutely. Far too short to waste any time at the P&DSR.

6. 37255

37255 Guest

I think you've made your point now that you don't like the PDSR? Given that this thread is supposed to be about the gala rather than general opinions on the railway, any chance you could leave it to conversation between the organisers and those who are considering visiting said gala?

Apologies if this appears as back seat moderating, only my opinion...

7. Scorpian04111986

Scorpian04111986 Member

I install Commercial and Domestic Oil Tanks all ov
    Yes I did think this was getting a bit much now (4 pages) yesterday, but the subject did change and then straight back again maybe you should all keep your posts in answer to the original question:
    I think we should stay away from the livery subject and concentrate on the gala now especially as theres about 20 pages on another well known thread onthis forum.

8. 83A

83A New Member

Film producer
    Sorry for not joining in the discussion earlier, I’ve only just noticed this thread.
    As a local, I’d like to put my own points forward as well, even if some of them have been covered before.

Firstly, well done to the railway staff for having the courage to ask enthusiasts what they want at the May event this year. Putting their head above the parapet, so to speak, is always likely to attract the odd negative remark. Looking through the comments so far, most are positive which is good to see.

Here are my thoughts.

1.Visiting motive power is always a BIG BIG attraction. In my view the No 1 aim. I know too well that it costs substantial dosh to transport locos around the country and is therefore a gamble, but it WILL attract punters. How about a reciprocal arrangement with a local railway (eg SDR/WSR/B&WR/ESR) where they borrow one of ours and bring back one of theirs using the same low-loader. That way, both railways benefit and costs can be shared.
    2.Use as much motive power as is available, both diesel & steam & I like the drive a shunter for £5 idea.
    3.Open the workshops (already suggested). Gives people the chance to see the professional set up and also to get a glimpse of 4555/4588/75014 etc.
    4.Don’t run round locos at each end – drop a diff engine on the other end for a return trip to give maximum variety. Double-heading sounds nice of possible.
    5.If the route is now available, use the Goodrington avoider for some services.
    6.Day Rover ticket goes without saying.

That’s a few points anyway. Hope it helps.

Regards
    Steve Marshall

9. ernestgew

ernestgew Member

To be honest if you're going to have that sort of attitude then why should the P+D bother? It would be better for us if they put the engines and coaches into the correct liverys and removed the names, but then it's these things which make their customers return, and I'd much rather there be a railway there with not quite right liverys than there be no railway at all! There will be plenty of right livery / right train set combinatios at the SDR's 40th Gala, so just go the the P+D and support them - remember that they are making the efforts to put on a gala!

To be honest anyone who refuses to support a railway running steam engines, just because the engines are in the wrong colour, whereas if the railway didn't do these thing the locos may just be rusting hulks, can't really call themselves railway enthusiasts!

Well done P+DSR! =D>

10. Mighty Mogul

Mighty Mogul Well-Known Member

Artist
    It amuses me how Kerosene Castle's quote was trimmed down so to be taken out of context so that it appears in TA's post to support his one-line argument!

The P&DSR has a fantastic line with great scenery and challenging gradients. They should be applauded for embracing the enthuisast market and I hope this gala is well patronised so that similar events will be considered again in the future. I do believe however that it is down to the railway to throw itself 100% into the gala idea to make it work - simply dipping half a toe in the water, proverbially speaking, isn't going to work. I visited the line several years ago when 6024 was visiting and hauling P&DSR service trains. A reporting number frame sans numbers was put on the smokebox door for one of the trains and it is this half-arsed approach of appealing to enthusiasts that they need to make sure doesn't happen. Do it properly and the enthusiasts will be there...

11. Scorpian04111986

Scorpian04111986 Member

Like this you mean:
    http://kelvinsgallery.fotopic.net/p50324337.html

Just goes to show you didn't go to the Heritage Weekend last year, as far as I recall it carried this from Paignton to Kingswear on one round trip and then came off again, but interstingly enough I believe they still kept the Torbay Express headboard for another trip. Only what I remember so may be wrong.

Personally I think if they do an everything goes weekend this is the next step up the ladder so to speak, it will also again show the board that they will be well supported as I heard that last years did very well.

The only Issues for this would be how they can run and timetable the services but switching engines at each end would work, but only if they don't still have the Diesel Driver situation I mentioned earlier sorted and also its a lot of staff to run.

I also really like the driver for a fiver idea be it diesel or steam, also I don't believe its been done anywhere else with an 04, 5205, 4200 class except possibly on driver experiences.

12. Ganger

Ganger Member

Railway Dogsbody
    Driver for a fiver on an 04 ? The PDSR has an 03 not an 04. The SDR did a driver for £3.50 on the 04 a couple of years back at one of the Gronk Aid events!

As for crews the PDSR does have enough crews (just) - its been the same number for years, just a few changes of faces. They also have the offer of help from other quarters - should they wish to take it up.

They don't have to re-invent the wheel - just copy what was done a few years back, its quite easy when you know how!

13. ernestgew

ernestgew Member

Maybe the P+DSR should employ the help of the person who organized the diesel galas there when DDS was still there and who now organises the SDR's galas, like the 40th! You'd get really good operations but can still understand the working timetables! =D> Also maybe a nice visiting 37 would be good, especially a green one. Nice lots of thrash up the banks!!! =D>

14. Kerosene Castle

Kerosene Castle Well-Known Member

Not sure if I've missed the point here chap, but there's nothing wrong with that. It was quite common to see this, in fact on one of 5051's mainline trips the frame was deliberately left blank, in order to give a bit of variety. Doing everything 'by the book' doesn't guarantee 100% accuracy, if you know what I mean.

15. Scorpian04111986

Scorpian04111986 Member

Oops pressed a 4 instead of a 3 !! A rookie mistake what more can I say! Can't think of a good excuse!

As for the Driver thing the question was meant as a sensible question as to do an everything goes weekend you would need several drivers and fireman (i.e. 6) which they don't usually require so is there enough trained staff to do this, and I believe this was also mentioned by someone else earlier in the thread.

16. Roosterrory

Roosterrory Member

Fireman/Fitter at PDSR
    Right Folks, here is a list of what is "planned" for the weekend, just to wet your appetite a little bit, of course everything is down to availability etc and full details will be put up on the railways wesbite www.pdsr.co.uk when ready and finalised.

4277 and 5239 will have the nameplates removed
    The Peak timetable will be in operation (check website for timings)
    Rover Tickets available
    4277, 5239 and 7827 "Lydham Manor" will be in steam
    Double Heading and Banking throughout the day
    A Frieght train will be run between Kingswear and Churston during lunchtime (check website for times and confirmation)
    Brake Van Shuttles using 03
    Class 25 open to cab visits ( i believe at Paignton)
    Paignton and Churston Workshops open to public with various exhibits at Churston Station
    various other attractions (to be finalised)

Obvisouly this is subjct to final confirmation which will be made on the website in due course.

17. 37255

37255 Guest

One suggestion, maybe (at least) the last train could be hauled by the 25 throughout? Think that would bring a lot more people out than cab visits :)

18. basher

basher Member

Musician
    Definately agree there!

Good thinking that man....

19. Hunslets Finest

Hunslets Finest Well-Known Member

Assume the freight will be smokebox first out of Kingswear?? 25 also needs to be out.

Looks like somebody at the railway is making bit of an effort and this should be congratulated (especially if leads to some proper liveries!). Might make the effort to pop down.

20. Scorpian04111986

Scorpian04111986 Member

I think we all need to make an effort, and buy a ticket!!

I was wondering would it be possible to get 4277 and 5239 on a double header and could one of them be turned so they both face the same way, as I think this would look pretty good.

But other than that Well Done it's sounds like it my be quite a good event, and hopefully as well attended as last years